Author Topic: Jim Kibler in Muzzleloader Magazine  (Read 5841 times)

Offline AndyThomas

Jim Kibler in Muzzleloader Magazine
« on: December 29, 2013, 06:35:13 AM »
I always wonder what you all look like. Occasionally, I find a picture of one of you, and think, "so that's what he looks like." So, I get the new Muzzleloader today and as I'm looking through it, I find a bunch of pictures of some fantastic guns, including a silver mounted piece. And I'm thinking, "man, I wish I could do that", and then after looking for perhaps 5 minutes I realize that there's also a picture of a guy there. Turns out, it's Jim Kibler.

formerly the "barefoot gunsmith of Martin's Station" (now retired!)

www.historicmartinsstation.com

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Jim Kibler in Muzzleloader Magazine
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 07:15:57 PM »
Just got this issue. Well derserved! Jim is a perfect blend of artist and genius and it is well seasoned with humility. Proud to call him a friend and his selfless sharing and instruction has steered this buffoon in a better direction many times.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 08:53:34 PM »
Got my copy and enjoyed the article very much. The man has mucho talent. :)
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 10:14:41 PM »
I just opened my copy last night and I gotta say I was quite impressed!  I knew a little about Jim but it was refreshing to see more of his work and learn more about him.  Nice article!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 01:43:11 AM »
I had the chance to meet Jim and talk with him at Log Cabin Shop.  I have been a fan of his guns for a long time and blew a chance to buy one for lack of money.  One of his guns is the screen saver on my computer.  Besides his crisp carving, I have always thought his backgrounds were so clean.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline heinz

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 02:39:45 AM »
Jim does amazing work.  He also has a wide ranging interest in many styles of flintlocks, from the 17th century onward.  And he is always willing to help if you have a question or a problem.  I took some pictures of him working at this years Trade Fair at the Log Cabin but they did not turn out well.  I was paying too much attention to his inletting, which did turn out very well.  He offered me some advice on some elaborate spiral thimbles I was making for a Jaeger. When I was done with the third one, he noted I had it just about right and should now make 3 more to use on the rifle.  And I am doing just that because that is how Jim does things. 
kind regards, heinz

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 05:48:22 PM »
Thank you all for the nice words.  You're all too kind.  I've not even seen the article yet, so you have one up on me!  This is a great community and  I'm thankful for all the friends I've made so far along the way.  No doubt all this stuff is hard work, but I can't think of anything I'd rather do.  Thanks again guys.

Jim

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 01:34:38 AM »
I saw the article also.
That picture can't be Jim Kibler....he looks way too young for somebody that builds stuff like he does.