Author Topic: Fort McMurray Rondy  (Read 4110 times)

doug

Fort McMurray Rondy
« on: July 11, 2008, 06:55:10 PM »
     I was at the northern Alberta shoot that Daryl mentioned.  Had a good time and lots of beautiful scenery, very pretty trails with a mixture of creeks, trees and muskeg on the rifle trail.  Weather was sunny and hot until almost then end when several showers brought out a subtle hint of mosquitos.  We had I think 45 or 46 shooters and total attendance of about 60 with 9 primitive camps and at a guess 15 or 20 tin teepees.  I think fuel costs kept at least a few people away; it is a 19 hour drive for me.  My dog Moon came with me and I tossed in a photo of him checking out some strange hobbit creatures who apparently came from Lillooet, BC
      We had an excellent pot luck supper mid week plus a pipe band towards the end of the week.   Two shooting events per day including an all day fort shoot.   I think I will have to get better glasses or better reasoning powers; didn't notice most of the snipers until it was too late.  They were off green coloured bowling pins hidden up in the trees at roughly 70 yards.

cheers Doug

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 06:57:15 PM by doug »

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Fort McMurray Rondy
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 09:10:07 PM »
Nice, and the weather looks great.    That was an interesting silohuette match.  How far was the longest silohuette shot?  Lemee guess that blue hog at abt 60 yds????

doug

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 09:40:53 PM »
     Actually those were called a gong shoot.  The blue pig is around 75 yards unless I am mistaken.  The silhouette shoot was squirrels (about 4" D) at 25 yards, linx at 50 yards (sitting facing and sort of bowling pin shaped 4 " base) bears at 75 yards ( about 9 x14") and finally moose at 125 yards (a little longer than the bears)
      The linx for some reason lead a charmed life and relatively few were hit for what seemed like an easy target.  We shot the same targets with pistols with the linx at 30 yards and the moose at 93 yards and again the linx had at least 9 lives.  I hit one in the base that rocked sideways several times and never fell :>(
     There was squirrel walk (trail in trees) for guns .45 and under with alledged birds the size of local mosquitoes, snakes, squirrels, rabbits etc.
     All in all a fun shoot and I think everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

cheers Doug

doug

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
      Here's a shot of the roundball silhouettes plus a somewhat politically incorrect brass monkey from the smoothbore and pistol trail

cheers Doug