Author Topic: Pistol Grip Hawken rifle- IS FINISHED!! Pictures restored  (Read 65842 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Pistol Grip Hawken rifle
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 08:04:49 PM »
This rifle has been a long time getting finished...life has a way of interfering with my plans, it seems.  Or as someone so well put it:  "Man makes his plans, and God laughs!"
I've just spent the last week polishing steel.  I am going to attempt pack hardening all of the hardware on this Hawken rifle, to be as authentic as possible, and I hope to get interesting colours as a bonus.  So I've polished the steel to 1200 grit, all by hand.

I don't know if I've gilded the lily here, but I've cut the nose of the hammer "English style" to allow the cap to split and fall away, rather than jam in the hammer cup.  Also, being a hunter, and knowing that the rifle will be used for moose and elk, I chequered the hammer spur.  You don't want the hammer to get away on you when the trophy of a lifetime is standing in front of you waiting to receive.  I do this to all my Hawken builds, HC or not.

The stock I stained with Ferric Nitrate dissolved in water, and finished with hot bees wax.  I doubt Sam ever did this, preferring varnish for his own work, but I used the finish on my own Hawken rifle, and I've used it hard now for two hunting seasons, and it has stood up so well in nasty circumstances, that I decided to finish this one the same way.  After final burnishing of the wood following the staining process, I heated the wood with a hot air heat gun, and melted bees wax onto the surface, doing a small area at a time, and heating the wood until it would suck up no more, before moving on the the next area.  After the entire stock was coated with wax, I reheated it and rubbed it hard with a towel to remove the surface wax...done!  All of the inlets have been likewise soaked with wax.  The stock is now ready for chequering the wrist and grip, which I shall start this afternoon.

Here's a pic of the majority of the hardware, ready to be packed into the crucible.  I'm going to include the breech plug, but the tang I'll rust blue like the barrel, since I have brazed on the boss for the tang sight.  Speaking of which, Chris, I think it should be called a diopter.  The original rifles (three of which I have seen images) all carry their rear sights.  I was pleasantly surprised how clear the diopter makes the rear sight notch .  Also, on all three of these great rifles, the front and rear sights are noticeably higher off the barrel than usual.  This is a big help when target shooting, to get away from heat mirage.

Anyway, the build continues, and the light at the end of the tunnel is growing brighter.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 09:54:00 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 12:11:08 AM »
It will be a beauty Taylor!!  What a neat project.  As always, your craftmanship is perfect.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 06:06:47 PM »
Looking great Taylor.  Did I mention I have an in-the-white flint lock that needs polishing?
That stock is wonderful- as-are the parts.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

• Member 3
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 06:39:35 AM »
I started chequering the grip Sunday afternoon, and spent all day today finishing it up.  Is it perfect?  Not even close.  Is it better than Sam's?  ...by a long shot!!  I realized when I had finished, that the original was a coarser pattern;   maybe 16 or 18/inch.  I did this one 20/" 'cause that's what I have in 60 degree cutters.  The original I copied has a double border too, but I settled at one, where usually I have no border.  Here's a couple of pics...

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 09:55:29 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 06:50:58 AM »
Taylor, that is a beautiful piece of work . My compliments to you  :)  Thank you for sharing.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 09:16:15 AM »
      Can't wait to see this one....    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 01:46:47 PM »
Such fine work.Always a delight to both owner and onlooker.One thing is sure,nothing like this quality ever came out of St.Louis back in "the day".
Well done,sir.Well done indeed.

Bob Roller

• Member 3
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 07:07:45 PM »
Thank you my friends.  Bob, your observation is noted.  In the images I have of this Hawken rifle, the chequering is obviously done either in a hurry or by someone without a lot of skill or attention to detail.  Maybe a little of both.  There was no attempt to bring outlining lines together where they should junction; there are many run-overs; there are lots of divergent lines that should be parallel, etc.  This rifle also has either been refinished by someone who removed the original finish with course sandpaper, leaving the entire surface covered with fine scratches, or it left the shop that way.  I have only had one original rifle in my hands, thanks to the thoughtfulness of Don Stith in 2007 at Dixon's Fayre.  The wood of that rifle was prepared for finishing much better than the one I have emulated, but it still falls well short of what I would have thought would be an appropriate finish.  Likely, the  Dixon's judges critique of me applies here:  "needs to see and handle more original rifles."
My finishes are far from perfect, but I still think I should give it my best effort.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Daryl

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 08:33:42 PM »
Nicely executed, Taylor.   Bravo!   ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline runastav

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 09:26:48 PM »
Beautiful work Taylor :)

Runar

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 09:28:17 PM »
These are the coolest of the Hawkens.
As always Taylor has done a great job.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Online Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2014, 08:08:01 PM »
Really beautiful work!!
Could you post a list of the metal parts used?

Best regards
Rolf

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2014, 01:44:03 AM »
Dang Taylor, That's looking Good!!!   :o

John
John Robbins

• Member 3
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2014, 04:42:40 AM »
Many thanks again, folks, for your support.

Rolf:  Here's a list of the parts I used.
From Track of the Wolf:

Hooked breech plug and tang:  PLUG-JB-18-3
Butt plate:                               BP-Hawk-JB-I
Lock:                                      LOCK-JB-R
Entry thimble (rod pipe)           Traditional Hawken ramrod pipe for 7/16" rod
Lock bolt escutcheon:               SP-HLB-I
Rear Sight:                              RS-PA-237
Double set riggers:                   TR-LR-1400
Trigger guard:                          TG-Hawk-L-I
Barrel keys (2 of 'em):              KEY-36-I
Barrel:                                     Colerain .62 cal tapered 1 1/8 - 1" x 36" (cut to 34"at muzzle end)

From Muzzle Loader Builder's Supply:

Nose cap:                                 FEC-181-1 1/8" steel ( I welded up the barrel cut out to increase the depth of the web)
Under rib (hollow)                     16618

Hand made parts from my shop:

Front sight:                               German silver blade/copper base
Tang bolts:                                To match counter bored holes - 10 x 32 tpi
Lock bolt:                                  10 x 32 tpi
Barrel key escutcheon plate:       .062" thick steel
Toe plate:                                  .040" thick steel
Rib retaining rivots (4)
Nose cap retaining screw:           8 x 40 tpi
Diopter tang sight:                     staff 1/4" x 80 tpi, lock nut, windage adjustment screw 6 x 40 tpi (thanks again Bob Roller for the tap and die!)
Ramrod:                                    handmade hickory tapered 1/2" to ~ 7/16"
Rod tip for small end:                 .435" threaded 8 x 32

What'd I miss?

D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2014, 05:49:21 AM »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2014, 06:12:14 AM »
Taylor,
What is a JB-R lock?

Bob Roller

• Member 3
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2014, 06:36:34 AM »
Bob,

It's a Davis Hawken lock.  It's quite a fine lock - nothing like one of yours, but quite adequate.  The hammer is so recognizable that I cannot resist filing it to a more Hawkenish shape.  The cup needs to be deepened, the nose split, and some of the steel cut away to reveal a nicer outline.  But the plate is correct, near as I can tell, and the guts are ok.  The plate is nicely ground inside and out, so there's not much more work to do to make it good.

Factory Davis hammer...with outline of filing mods.

...after filing.

Well, you can see that I'm having trouble placing the old pictures back in the text, but I guess it'll have to do.

image upload
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 09:58:04 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2014, 01:45:42 PM »
Taylor,
The Davis lock was at one time the Ron Long lock and it follows one of my earlier styles of mechanism for these locks. It is a good choice.I have bought these plates and hammers over the years from Ron as well as Davis who was his successor.
Can you post full length photos of this rifle for the rest of us to admire?
Also,I think I sent you a post about the 1/4x80 T&D. Keep them and if ever I need them I will holler.

Bob Roller

JB2

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2014, 07:09:23 PM »
always inspiring to see your work, Taylor.  Especially the fact that you're willing to share info.  Gives us nubes (and rubes) a goal, and a partial roadmap to get there, the rest is up to us. 

And your mini-tutorial for the hammer came just as I've been looking my Davis LH lock, wondering if I should make any changes.  Guess what I'll be doing next?

Thanks again
JimB

• Member 3
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2014, 07:42:38 PM »
Jim, I derive a huge amount of pleasure and inspiration from this web site.  I can safely say that this site, and all you builders who post images of your work, is the single most important influence in the rejuvenation of my own building.  I am ever inspired to strive for better workmanship as I see the bar being raised by the many talented contributors here.

Bob, I recognize that Davis lock is a continuation of Ron Long's lock.  I feel that it is every bit as good as the Golcher locks that Hawken used.  I'll post a picture of two when the rifle is finished.  I still have to pack harden the hardware, and rust blue the barrel and tang.  the stock is finished.  I'm also finishing up that diopter tang sight.  Patience my friend!
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2014, 11:34:29 PM »
Taylor,
I'd say the  Long/Davis lock is probably a more precisely fit lock than the Golcher.
I had a new,never used Golcher and it was not much of a lock.Also have examined
original locks fro Hawken rifles and one pistol while visiting Tom Dawson in the 1968 to
1976 time period.Nothing remarkable about them and the Ashmore on his Hoffman&Campbell
was a real clunker.Good looking externally but pathetic internally.I copied it and it was a real
bug in the soup to recreate all the botched workmanship.Same goes for the triggers.
From what I have seen in the limited pics you have posted,your rifle will easily surpass any
thing that was made in St.Louis back in "The Day".

Bob Roller

kaintuck

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2014, 02:15:36 AM »
That bull looks ready to be castrated! ;D

Think it'll be nick-named.....one hung low....... :D :D :D
Marc

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2014, 10:25:35 PM »

The stock I stained with Ferric Nitrate dissolved in water, and finished with hot bees wax.  I doubt Sam ever did this, preferring varnish for his own work, but I used the finish on my own Hawken rifle, and I've used it hard now for two hunting seasons, and it has stood up so well in nasty circumstances, that I decided to finish this one the same way.  After final burnishing of the wood following the staining process, I heated the wood with a hot air heat gun, and melted bees wax onto the surface, doing a small area at a time, and heating the wood until it would suck up no more, before moving on the the next area.  After the entire stock was coated with wax, I reheated it and rubbed it hard with a towel to remove the surface wax...done!  All of the inlets have been likewise soaked with wax.

Taylor,

Not only does the finish look outstanding but I think it would be a good choice for the wet and humid hunting conditions here in Florida.  I'm pretty hard on finishes on my hunting rifles.  I hunt in heavy cover here and I always seem to be getting scratches and scuffs on them.  With the bee's wax soaked in the wood so thoroughly, wouldn't there be a problem getting stain into the wood if a touch up needed to be done?

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

• Member 3
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2014, 05:00:49 AM »
If you're going to scratch it so deeply that you penetrate the AF, you'll be into unsoaked wood anyway.  AF stain goes very deep.  You can likely touch up any scratch with AF and then rewax.  You can add new was anytime, and you can't all too much.  You wipe off the excess with the wood hot and with a towel.  An example of this was the chequering I did.  Naturally, I completely finished the stock before I started cutting the chequering, and when I was finished with the cutting, I simply applied AF, blushed it good, and scrubber it with a stiff bristle brush.  there was enough wax in the surrounding wood, that I did not have to add any new wax to the new cut chequering.  It finished up to perfectly match the surrounding wood.  I really doubt you'd be scratching your gunstock as deeply as I cut this chequering.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2014, 01:37:26 PM »
Taylor,

Thanks.  I'm going to give our bee's wax method a try on this hunting rifle.  It sounds like a very good approach for a rifle that is hard used in a wet climate.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer