Author Topic: Pistol Grip Hawken rifle- IS FINISHED!! Pictures restored  (Read 66385 times)

Al Lapp

Re: Pistol Grip Hawken rifle- IS FINISHED!!
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2014, 06:42:22 AM »
Taylor, Just came across this thread. Beautiful rifle, great job, your client will be very pleased and a very lucky person.  Al

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2014, 03:07:58 PM »
It's .62 cal. with a 34" x 1/8" - 1" tapered Colerain barrel.
Nice work Taylor, once the customer gets this little squirrel bore sighted in he probably will want you to make a big bore to go with it ;D
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2014, 04:14:35 PM »
 I had the first barrel Bill Large made after he got his big shop operational in 1958.
It was a 58 caliber octagon 1"x33" with a 1:44 twist.He stenciled it "Texas squirrel rifle"
and said he didn't know if it was any good or not. I made up a light target/hunting rifle
with it,walnut half stock and silver trim. It was a winner from the first competitive event
it was used in.

Bob Roller

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2014, 05:54:14 PM »
Sorry to be late in offering congratulations Taylor but I've been away working a lot - plus I've seen it in the flesh and already told you what a fantastic job you did.  It really is something. I don't know how you can make yourself turn it over to the customer!
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2014, 07:24:40 PM »
Nice stuff, I like the case hardening info as well.

Coryjoe

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2014, 03:12:25 AM »
 Excellent for Taylor is routine.  Taylor. How much refitting did you have to do after the case hardening, especially on the butt plate?
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline sydney

« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2014, 05:24:10 PM »
Hi Taylor--very nicely done---I do appreciate the checkering as I know
          who hard it is to do--more information on the checkering would
          be good such as what tools you used for spacing ect
              Sydney

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2014, 08:27:44 PM »
Welllll, I guess it's OK. ;D

My new favorite, contemporary Hawken!

Great job Taylor,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2014, 07:57:27 PM »
Thanks again guys.  You've asked some interesting questions, and made some astute observations.

In 1979, Don Robinson taught me to chequer after the second to last coat of finish was applied.  There are several good reasons for this.  The darkened wood shows the cut lines you've made much sharper and clearer than if you tried to do it on dry unfinished wood.  The finish hardens the wood, making the cuts cleaner without making fuzzy diamonds.  When you are done, as in the case of this rifle, an application of Ferric Nitrate to the now raw-again wood, a blush, and a single application of bees wax, and the job is finished.  In addition to the bees wax, I applied a couple coats of hard paste wax - in this case TreWax - and gave the chequering a good scrub with a stiff toothbrush.  This polished the chequering and gives the stock an overall smooth and well protected finish coat.

I used 60 degree Gunline chequering cutters.  The spacing is 20/inch because that's what I have.  I used a single cutter, and a two line cutter where both cut...no smooth side, as I often use with modern style chequering.  These cutters cut deep and fast.  I made a minimum of three passes over everything, and in some places I needed to add a forth and fifth pass.  I try not to get it done in the first couple of passes...I like to see the chequering go down gradually.  This chequering is flat topped - the diamonds do not come to a point.  It is not so 'grippy' as modern pointed chequering, but adds a lot of stability and class to the stock, and is HC/PC.  I finished each line as it ends against the border with a 60 degree parting chisel.  Sam Hawken didn't bother but it seemed unfinished to my eye that way.  I added the second border line because the original had the same.

The tang sight is used in conjunction with the rear and front sight.  Though I have not fired the rifle yet, I have played with the diopter sight, and find that it clarifies the relationship between the two barrel sights.  Also, when you elevate the tang sight, it makes the 'Kentucky windage' (elevation actually) very precise.  So shooting the rifle at long range should be much more consistent...time will tell.

I did not further inletting or refitting of any of the parts after the pack hardening, except for scraping built up wax away from most inlet places...lock, triggers, nose piece, tang, toe plate, and barrel keys.  I confess that the fit of the butt plate now does not seem to me to be as tight as it was prior to pack hardening, but it still quite acceptable to me.

I have not weighed the rifle yet...I'm curious about that too.  I'll let you know...
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2014, 08:06:57 AM »
Totally beautifull. I think your best..

Offline Daryl

« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2014, 06:20:27 PM »
So- it's Tuesday- are we shooting today?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

• Member 3
« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2014, 07:17:38 PM »
Daryl and I took 'ole Maw Hawken' out for test firing and sighting in yesterday - Canada Day!  I used the measures I have on my own Hawken rig - a 90 gr. and a 127 gr. measure.  Right off the bench, the rifle shot about a foot high at 59 yds - that's where I happened to set up the target frame.  So Daryl held her down, and I filed down the rear sight, eventually getting the rifle to print in the 4" black dot.  Without working up a perfect load, or trying various lubes and patch thicknesses, I shot a group in the black with all but one ball cutting a hole...quite acceptable for a brand new barrel.  I'll post the details of the load including velocities, if anyone is interested.  And incidentally, the rifle weighs 9.9 pounds.  And on this clear sunny summer day, the 1/16" hole through the diopter provided good light for target shooting.
Thanks everyone for your comments and kind words.  Now back to the bench.  I have to build another .62 cal rifle, but this time a Jaeger for a young woman from Switzerland.
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2017, 02:51:50 AM »
I've brought this old thread out of the dust because all of the images were pirated.  Pls. forgive my vanity!
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2017, 03:04:10 AM »
What a pleasure to see that gun again.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2017, 03:20:14 AM »
What a pleasure to see that gun again.

dave

It was my first time to see it and I'm floored!
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2017, 03:33:35 AM »
Taylor,
Thanks for resurrecting this thread.  It will come in handy since I am putting the parts together for a .58 caliber pistol grip Hawken. 
David

Dave Patterson

« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2017, 04:40:29 AM »
It was my first time to see it and I'm floored!

Same here! 

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2017, 04:40:54 AM »
This rifle was beautiful the first time around and for some reason even more beautiful the second time around!
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Online Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2017, 05:19:09 AM »
Taylor, speaking just for me here, but you can bring this thread back as often as you like. This is my favorite build thread on here, and there are many great ones.
Psalms 144

Offline louieparker

« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2017, 06:14:18 AM »
I agree ! I always enjoy looking at Taylors work.  This was (or is ) a great project....LP

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2017, 08:08:02 PM »
Thank you for restoring the Pictures. I plan to start on a pistol grip hawken(ish)rifle sometime next year. I'll be using the parts you listed. The posting will be a big help. It would be great if you could add Pictures and comments on the New Hawken Your building now.

Best regards
Rolf

• Member 3
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2017, 11:47:52 PM »
I appreciate the encouragement my friends.  For those who have a similar project in planning stages, I would like to bring to the 'fore one of the features of this rifle, and that is the sheer voluptuousness of the grip.  It is reminiscent of the English 'bag butt' pistols, with it's roundness, and fullness.  Man, does it fill your hand nicely!
When it comes time to do the retro on Sam's percussion Hawken (16" LOP), I'll do some beofre, during and after shots in another thread.  I'm surprising myself now with the enthusiasm I'm experiencing for that project.  I'll likely do the flint rifle too, at a later date, unless someone buys it as is.
Herb's new thread on aligning the hammer/lock on the percussion Hawken has also stirred some old fire.  I think that's what this site is all about!!
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
Re: Pistol Grip Hawken rifle- IS FINISHED!! Pictures restored
« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2017, 12:31:53 AM »
Taylor,it never gets old looking at your work,simply wonderful.Thank you for putting in the time to put the pictures back in on a great thread.Lots of folks future and present use these threads for information and pictures are a big help.

• Member 3
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2019, 10:17:08 PM »
I was going through my personal messages, which I must confess I frequently forget to do, and found that all of these images have been corrupted and removed AGAIN!  Mods:  whatzupwitdat?
Anyway, I have restored the images, Rolf, so here you go.

Taylor
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2019, 10:45:19 PM »
Taylor, if/when you encounter this again, try modifying your message by changing every “http” to “https”. I can’t explain why but it often works.
Andover, Vermont