Author Topic: Hunley Riflling machine  (Read 5836 times)

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
Hunley Riflling machine
« on: July 11, 2008, 11:52:05 PM »
Has anyone ever heard of it? If so what type is it. Twisted bar sini bar so on.
Thanks
David Veith
David Veith

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Hunley Riflling machine
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 01:17:01 AM »

Beats me.
I am in the "thinking about it" stage of building a rifling machine.
I will likely use a rack and pinion run off an angled bar. This will produce uniform twist.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

sluggunner

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 02:14:49 AM »
David,
 Can't help with your question but I have some comments for Dan. You know who loaned me the tape.

Dan,
 Like you I started to make a sine bar machine but when it was 90% done I quit it. Just didn't like the way it was working out. A few years later a friend loaned me a VCR tape of a machine built in Kansas City by A fellow named Bill Webb. After watching this my interest was renewed and I built my version of it. Not only will it rifle but also drill and ream. The twist is by a gear arrangement with a rack parallel to the ways, a bull gear that rides on it and a cross shaft that runs bevel gears connected to the rifling rod. It works great. The twist is varied by changing the bull gear. I've sometimes replaced that gear with a pulley and used .008" thick feeler stock, which can be purchase in 25 foot lengths, to impart the twist. With this arrangement I've cut gain twist and it is also possible to cut left hand twist.
 I've rifled about a dozen barrels and find this machine a joy to use.
                                                  Rich
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 02:19:34 AM by sluggunner »

lew wetzel

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 04:32:15 AM »
sluggunner,how about some pics of your machine.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 06:09:30 AM »
David,
 Can't help with your question but I have some comments for Dan. You know who loaned me the tape.

Dan,
 Like you I started to make a sine bar machine but when it was 90% done I quit it. Just didn't like the way it was working out. A few years later a friend loaned me a VCR tape of a machine built in Kansas City by A fellow named Bill Webb. After watching this my interest was renewed and I built my version of it. Not only will it rifle but also drill and ream. The twist is by a gear arrangement with a rack parallel to the ways, a bull gear that rides on it and a cross shaft that runs bevel gears connected to the rifling rod. It works great. The twist is varied by changing the bull gear. I've sometimes replaced that gear with a pulley and used .008" thick feeler stock, which can be purchase in 25 foot lengths, to impart the twist. With this arrangement I've cut gain twist and it is also possible to cut left hand twist.
 I've rifled about a dozen barrels and find this machine a joy to use.
                                                  Rich

A place I used to work for had a similar set up on a large broach to button rifle barrels. Suppose I could talk them into letting me look at it again. Assume its still in use.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

sluggunner

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 05:39:34 PM »
Lew,
 I'll get some photos this week and post them if I can. Otherwise I'll send them to you.
 The reason that I wanted to rifle my own barrels was, altough I shoot everything in the muzzle loading line as you can tell by my handle, the heavy percussion target rifles are my passion. There's hardly any barrel makers who will tackle a large diameter barrel with false muzzle so I decided to build my own machine and to make it available to friends.
 I can tell you first hand that this isn't a cheap way to go. Gun drills run in the area of 150.00 each, gun drilling oil is about 15.00 per gallon (I use 15 gallons) and I have 1500.00 in the machine plus a lot of labor. If a guy just wants a barrel he's better off to purchase one if what he wants is available. Still all in all it's been worth it to me and I'm glad that I built the machine. It's neat to compete with a rifle that I've made complete. Lock, stock and barrel and to occasionally do well.
 By the way I pattern my rifles after the old ones and I make my own full length scopes too. My outfits would look right at home on a range 150 years ago.
                                                              Rich

Offline acorn20

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 07:10:22 AM »
Rich the Sluggunner, this is for you.

I read with interest your posts concerning a rifling machine.  With your passion for heavy percussion target rifles, this should be right down your alley. 

Once upon a time back in the late '60s, I watched the old timers punch paper with guns of unbelievable weight.  These guns were moved from the loading bench to the shooting bench with audible grunts and groans.  One of the participants was an old friend of the family; Clarence M. Bender.  He got me started with shooting muzzleloaders a couple years after watching this particular match.  As  he described his gun, I found that it shared a common denominator with two of the other rifles that were competing that day.  It seems his gun had a barrel made by Lou Cowher, of the Mt. Union, PA. area, I think.  Mr. Cowher was also present shooting one of the three rifles.  I was amazed at the accuracy of these guns at 100 and 150 yards.

In the middle '70s, I obtained a Lou Cowher barrel.  I was told that it was one of the last barrels made by Lou and as I examined it I noticed that the grooves on the one side of the barrel were not cut as deep as the other side.  I went ahead and bought it for forty dollars with the hope that someday I'd mount it on a stock.  I had Bobby Hoyt look at it thirty years ago but he couldn't chuck it in his machine.  The barrel is .50 cal, 1 3/4" in diameter (round), 35" long, 36 1/2" long w/ false muzzle, has breech plug and tang installed as well as drum and nipple, and weighs in at a hefty 23 lbs.

I was wondering how large a barrel can you chuck in your machine.  Bobby Hoyt talked about gain twist thirty years ago and I don't know if he's cutting barrels with it or not.  I noticed you talked about gain twist as well.  What kind of success are you having with gain twist and would you recommend it for a slug gun?  I don't know what can be done with this barrel; if it can be recut, drilled to a larger bore and recut, drilled and sleeved and recut or what.   I'd sure like you to get a look at this barrel and give me your advice. 

Also, what kind of locks do you use on your guns?  Traditional locks or back-action?

One word about this website.  It's simply wonderful!  I can't believe the knowledge that's openly shared on this site.  Thanks.

Dan
Dan Akers

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 06:15:52 PM »
I thought the Hunley was a submarine?

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 07:23:27 PM »
It would have to be ream out and refifled. In the group one of us would have a bench that it could be done on. I will let slugger give you his feeling on gain twist. I use it but for round ball.
David/toledo
David Veith

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 09:04:53 PM »
Well, here it is again. I thought I lost the post.
Acer
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.