Author Topic: Jacob Harder Athens, PA 090124-2  (Read 9901 times)

Offline nord

Jacob Harder Athens, PA 090124-2
« on: January 24, 2009, 08:20:15 PM »
Better Data and Info as available.

Comments:

A very nice double rifle, or is it a combination rifle/shotgun? I think everyone would want to know more about it as far as caliber, rifling, dimensoins, etc. Also a bit about the maker, who obviously made both this one and the three barreled gun with the New York address. Seeing this one answers the question Shelby raised about the inlays on the sides of the buttstock being held by screws rather than nails. Since both rifles are done this way it seems a given that they are original to both rifles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will respond to both Harder posts, here.  First, I would suggest posting both rifles, plus we should also aim to add the other common Harder variations that we are missing, including the most common examples, which are the simple over and under, swivel (and fixed) breech rifle/shotgun combinations signed "J. Harder, Lock Haven, Pa."  Harder also built three barreled Lock Haven guns and a "Buffalo rifle," which is a three barreled cartridge rifle in, I believe, .38-55.

I don't much about Harder in Athens, Pa. and Waverly, N.Y., but Harder owned a hardware and dry goods store in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania.  The earlier Harders from Lock Haven are of a much higher quality, generally, with a much more custom built look.  The later guns were mostly parts rifles pieced together at the store.  Several family members were employed in the store and produced rifles and multiple barrel rifle/shotgun combinations.  I don't know for sure, but I suspect that the Athens, Pa. and Wavery, N.Y. firearms were from "satellite stores."  The Harders had at one time, the Wal-Mart of the northern tier of Pennsylvania, mass producing firearms for the west and region.  Both posted rifles feature intricate details, which show that Harders came in various price ranges and styles.  I will look for more details, but hopefully, this will get things started on a more detailed posting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a very pleasing double gun from a later period (Western expansion period, perhaps?) that has art definably 'Kentucky' in its form and application. This rifle would be welcome at a KRA meeting, unless I am very much mistaken. The maker was quite well known in his time and by all measures was a builder of Kentucky Rifles.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 05:28:51 PM by Tim Crosby »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.