Author Topic: So You Think You Can Shoot  (Read 5447 times)

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
So You Think You Can Shoot
« on: January 28, 2014, 03:59:15 AM »
The Pistol Shooter

tuffy

Re: So You Think You Can Shoot
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 04:36:23 AM »
We should all have flyers that good. I could probably put up a target with hits like that but it would have to be from about five feet and I'd be usin' my rifle. That's some shootin'.

CW

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 04:52:49 AM »
We should all have flyers that good. I could probably put up a target with hits like that but it would have to be from about five feet and I'd be usin' my rifle. That's some shootin'.

CW

I could put the target up, but it would end there.  ;D

That is some mighty fine handgun shooting for sure, and a record that has defiantly stood the test of time.  :)
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 05:15:21 AM »
Never underestimate the man standing next to you.

Centershot

Bible Totin Gun Slinger

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 11:18:14 PM »
Thats cool.

Offline LH

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 12:35:21 AM »
Phil,   was that a zip gun or a sidelock?   HEck of a target no matter what it was shot with.   8)

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 01:27:35 AM »
Mr Carver always used a side lock .  It was a old percussion shotgun lock. The barrel was a three groove
45-70 rifle barrel with a 1-22 twist. Load was a .451 ball and 30 grs DuPont a FFF.  Patch was pocket
drill. I believe he used spit lube. This match actually was a timed fire match which you start with a
loaded pistol and you fire two 5 shot strings 5 minutes each. I keep track of things like this.
The Pistol Shooter

Offline Kermit

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 03:15:44 AM »
Along about 30-35 years back a fellow showed up at our muzzleloading club range, and once properly introduced and chatted, he joined in the fun. We were shooting silly-wets at 70 yards. He stepped up with his stainless Ruger Old Army, and blew the doors off all our best rifle shooters. Pistol was all he shot, and he practiced and conditioned every day. He was serious, and his prowess showed it. He shot with us for several years and never showed up with a rifle.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 04:07:19 AM »
Quite a few years ago, my old shooting partner was complaining about his shoulder givin g him trouble so he thought he would have to shoot leaft handed. He shot a 50-3x and we still have the target as no one has ever done such a thing since. His name was Allen Moe and when he passed away there was no room to be had inside the church. True gentlemen garner respect even when their gone. Mr. Carver , I'm sure did the same.

sloe bear

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 10:19:22 PM »
 I think Tom Seleck said it best in Quigly Down Under," I said I didn't have much use for (a hand gun) them , not that I didn't know how " not a exact quote but close. I never much liked the 1911 45cal Browning we had in the service but I qualified expert with it. but have not shot a hand gun much since . I got out of the Army in 1968 two guess' as to where I was assigned and the first doesn't count.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 07:43:47 PM »
Certainly an excellent shooter!  Note he uses a very different stance.  Not a stance I have ever seen taught for pistol shooting.  Almost as if he is trying to get his eye as far from the pistol's sights as possible, pretty much the opposite of the aggressive stances used by most shooters today.  Hips are forward, upper body tilted back with left arm just dangling, knees appear to be locked.  Has to be a strain for lower back.  Yet he is capable of a record untouched for a very long time.  Confirms the old adage - some got it and the rest don't.  Shooting continues to be a game played between the ears far more than one played with the physical aspects.  Very interesting photo and post.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 07:44:35 PM by Jerry V Lape »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 02:51:35 AM »
Yes I agree - Jerry - very interesting 'stance' indeed and certainly seemed to work for him.  100 9X Exceptional shooting - with one hand.

The 'women' who scored the 1986 (I think that was the year) summer games in PG would have scored him with 1 miss for sure, maybe 2. Yeah - the scoring rules they use or used, suck.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V