American Long Rifles Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 02:56:39 PM
Home Help Login Register
News:

View the Most Recent Posts
View the ALR Mission Statement
View ALR Rules and Policies
Donate to ALR via US Mail or PayPal

+  AmericanLongRifles Forums
|-+  General discussion
| |-+  To classified forums
| | |-+  Items for Sale/Wanted
| | | |-+  Wanted Squirrel Rifle
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wanted Squirrel Rifle  (Read 1530 times)
Custom Smokepole
Starting Member

« on: January 29, 2014, 07:50:44 PM »

Looking for a nice squirrel rifle. .32-.40 caliber. Not looking for a production type rifle, but not a $1500.00 rifle either. I shot flint, but do not know a lot about them, so percussion will probably be better. Let me know if anyone has something or would be will to build something within two months or. I would just like to be very proficient with the rifle before next hunting season. I am right handed, and would prefer LOP to be at least 13" to 14".
Thanks.
Aim small, Miss small...
gibster

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 09:28:01 AM »

PM Sent
Dennis Glazener
Administrator

2005 Transylvania County NC Heritage Day Event

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »

Email sent
Dennis
whitebear

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 12:04:47 AM »

In your price range your best bet would be to look at several different forums want adds.  You might find something well used but not abused custom or semi custom.
At this stage of the game for you a good production rifle in any caliber might be your best bet.

My idea is that when a frontiersman wanted a mess of squirrels if his rifle was a .54 caliber then he had a .54 caliber squirrel rifle if he wanted a deer then he had a deer rifle.  The vast majority of woodsmen did not own a different rifle for small game and large game.  I know that the present idea is to use a small caliber rifle on squirrels but if you shoot head shots then you don't loose hardly any meat but if you hit him in the body there is very little waste almost all the meat on a squirrel is on the front and back legs anyway.

If you are not thoroughly confused yet just hang on you will be soon. Grin
Seriously if I can be of any help let me know.

In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot
Custom Smokepole
Starting Member

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 12:09:23 AM »

Thanks for the information, and you are right. But I have forum a custom .40, so now I need the .50 or .54. Thanks for all the replies, and ideas. As much as I hunt and shoot, I need the two different rifles.
Kopfjaeger

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 01:11:26 PM »

There's a nice one on http://longrifle.com/forsale/default.asp?categoryID=1

York Co. Style Rifle in .32 caliber

This is a very nicely made rifle that I'm guessing was probably made back in the 1980s or early 1990s. I don't know who made it. There are no markings on the gun but I haven't pulled the barrel to see if it has a name or date on the bottom. It is very neatly made showing good workmanship throughout. The inlets are tight. There has been a little wood shrinkage over the years so the patchbox is not perfectly flush with the wood now but isn't any problem. This is common with many original rifles as well. The stock is a nice piece of curly maple with a light golden stain and oil finish. The stock is incised carved which is well done. The patchbox and long toeplate are nicely engraved. The patchbox release is in the toeplate and is a square horn button. Very typical. The lock is an Italian made one with a short fast throw and sparks very well. The barrel is a Green Mountain 13/16" straight and is 42" long. The bore is clean and the rifling is crisp. This rifle has seen some use but not much by looking at the lock wear and bore. There are a few minor dents and dings from handling over the years as is to be expected. Overall the quality and styling is very well done. Weight is 8.5 lbs. Pull is 13.5". More pictures can be found at http://claysmithguns.com/guns_on_hand.htm

Contact Information   $1,450.00

" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "
smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 04:25:25 PM »

PM sent
Custom Smokepole
Starting Member

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 08:50:42 AM »

Thanks to all whom replied. I am in a holding pattern for now, for my wife received some concerning news from her workplace. Until we know more, I just cannot do anything right now.
Thanks again to everyone.
Don Adams
Starting Member

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 03:36:17 PM »

Understand the situation.  I am experiencing the same thing. Will find out this coming week for sure.  Our positions are being eliminated and they are going to use vendors to do our jobs.  They have a couple of supervisor positions and there are six from our state applying for those two positions.  If I don't get it, then we are done the middle of April.  No major purchases for me, as I was planning on having a nice flintlock custom made by a builder I know.
ALATNMTNMAN
Starting Member

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 11:29:59 AM »

Understand you're on hold. Hope your wife gets some good news soon.

If you become interested, I have a new in box .32 Pedersoli flintlock I purchased for the same reasons you originally outlined yet I have never shot it. As I recall, I paid $800 two years ago. Since then, I've accumulated the mold, balls & a small pouch but just haven't shot it.
If it sounds like something you'd be interested in when you're ready just let me know & we'll talk it through.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length