Author Topic: Mr Flintlock Lube or Hoppes Number 9 Plus  (Read 17651 times)

frontier gander

Re: Mr Flintlock Lube or Hoppes Number 9 Plus
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 03:12:53 AM »
I was at the shop that usually has Hoppes #9 Plus. What they had was Hoppes #9 labeled "BLACK POWDER SOLVENT & PATCH LUBE". I wonder if they just changed the label.
Mark

Same stuff and it can't be beat.

exactly the stuff i bought some years ago. Hated it, to dry.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 03:32:13 AM »
Don,
I remember "wonder lube". If I remember correctly it said something about bio degradable and edible. Never did try it, sounded hokey to me. I'm going to try Mr Flintlock but in the mean time, Hoppes #9, even the new label stuff, has treated me well.
Mark
Mark

Offline stude283

• Starting Member
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 03:35:23 AM »
Just a reminder.On the bottle of hoppe's #9 plus it says do not allow to freeze.  After it freezes once it separates and does not work nearly as well.Ask me how I learned this fact.

Offline stude283

• Starting Member
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 03:44:09 AM »
Funny thing,but I've got a 3/4 full container of the original wonder lube sitting right next to a 7/8 full tube of TC maxilube.I looked at the maxilube the other day to see if it was any good and it looked familiar. Opened another jar on the shelf.It looked,smelled and felt  exactly the same.RIG.

Offline cmac

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 04:50:10 AM »
I prefer Mr.Flintlock's stuff. I know many others using the stuff and haven't heard a bad remark yet. Its the new wonder lube!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 04:19:06 AM »
I tried it, Don - I think Taylor still has a tub of it, although he might have mixed it with something else in lube trials for his Sharps.

I mixed mine up with some BWax and tranny or some other oil for bullet lube, way back then.  I went back to my bear grease and marmot oil for my patches for 'serious' shooting - the mixture was thrown away, as were many others, over the years.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online TDW

• AF&AM, DORIC LODGE #53, Past Master
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2014, 08:09:34 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but thought I would just add a note for Don.

I was managing a busy muzzleloading gun shop in Anaheim,Ca in the 70's. I remember both lubes.
   Mr. Young came into our shop looking for the manager. He was a big man and rather tall. He had on a cowboy hat and boots and was loud and not shy of his opinion of his product. I was of average height, with long red hair, beard, and pretty sure of myself too. When he found out I was the manager, he looked down at me and said " you must be kidding me !". It left a lasting impression....

Although I heard it was a good product, I made sure we never carried the Young Country lube.

Tom W.

peterw

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2014, 12:33:39 PM »
i tried that hoppes stuff years ago, horrible results, I remember I ha to use a long rod and a mallet to help the ball down on a dirty shot. Moose milk or mr flintlocks patch lube work much better for me.
I have a similar experience with Hoppe 9+. I do not have to use mallet but after 10 shots I feel that the barrel is dirty. No such problem with ballistol/water mixture. How wet should be a patch soaked Hope 9+?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 07:58:50 PM »
How wet? I'd say as wet as any other patch to keep fouling at bay, no wetter, no dryer.  The patch, if of substantial material like adequately thick denim or ticking will hold all the lube needed for constant shooting without ever having to wipe the bore.

Daryl

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2014, 08:57:37 PM »
I used the "WonderLube" back in the late 1970s thru the 80s when I first started shooting BP. I still have a jar of it in my shop. IIRC it was supposed to "season" your barrel so it was easy to load and clean.  I say BULLHOCKEY!.  3-5 shots then a wipe. I tried all different things I was "advised" to by "folks in the know" and had the same result. When I found this site I took someones advice and tried Hoppes #9 PLUS. I am well satisfied and a firm believer in the product. I still use the Wonderlube when I hunt as I'm not shooting and reloading as much and it's a paste so it will not affect the powder too much when it sits in the barrel for a time. The Hoppes is my lube at the range where a wet patch is not an issue, I've done 18- 30 shots without wiping depending on how long I'm there.

I hear a lot about the Mr. Flintlock lube but have not had the chance to try it, the Hoppes #9 PLUS does what I need it to do and I don't want to have to change loads to use it.

Kinda like the folks who prefer GOEX regular powder over the OE powder.

Mine ain't broke , no need to fix it.
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2014, 10:35:51 PM »
Great minds think alike, Scout.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline wmrike

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2014, 12:44:14 AM »
Waterfowl - run that by me again.  It doesn't spend enough time in the barrel to build velocity?  All this time I was thinking that minimal time in the barrel was the very definition of velocity.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2014, 06:59:52 PM »
As far as a range lube, the LHV, which is what Mr. Flintlock's lube is, is wonderful lube.  Hoppe's 9 plus is also an excellent lube.  here in Northern BC, we can' seem to get Hoppe's 9 plus so I am hording/using sparingly, my last bottle of LHV & 3 bottles of Shenendoah lube - until something as good comes along.

LHV (Mr. Flintlock's Lube) gave me the very best accuracy I've seen produced from both my .40 and .45 calibre flint rifles. I did have to increase the powder charges to use it compared to water based lube. I assume this is due to the lubricity of the lube.  More powder was required to get the pressure up to where every aspect of my combination worked perfectly. No fouling buildup - ever.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 07:01:11 PM by Daryl »
Daryl