Author Topic: When do you become a collector?  (Read 13009 times)

sloe bear

When do you become a collector?
« on: February 15, 2014, 06:45:10 PM »
 I guess this is kind of a stupid topic, I've never really called myself a collector ,just some kind of a nut,I have accumulated BP guns for 35-40 years and still never considered myself a collector. I have accumulated 15 or so miscellaneous guns some custom some factory built like Browning mountain rifles (no longer produced) A couple of Sharon Kits custom built and a couple of smooth bore shot guns a really nice Navy Arms 12 ga with a fantastic stock full curl not something you see every day and a couple of different TVM rifles Flint of course and more. Am I supposed to call myself a collector or just a nut? I don't know but I love to clean and polish each and every one, my guess is that I'm a nut of some kind, I keep them clean and safe they don't leave home without me and not one of them has gone on a shooting spree , I used to be able to take them to school and explain what they were and their history and how these rifle fit in and where this type of firearm was used by our forefathers . now their banned from school and most public places and I have to keep them locked in their room, no fault of their own people seem afraid of them and they just like to be held and cleaned. a nut case I'm sure. but I think that most all of us on this site fit into that category. keep well and hold tight the anti's are after us too.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
Re: When do you become a collector?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 07:29:38 PM »
sloe bear I fit into the same mold as you.   I have always liked guns of one sort or the other since I was about 11 years old.
 I guess I am an accumulator.  I have a room full of guns and accountments.  Still looking for more.
I can not hunt anymore because of health issues.  I still go to the shooting range and shoot when weather permits.
 I have a grandson who likes guns so all the black powder rifles and accountments will pass on to him.
I like to handle and clean the rifles.  Just something about having one in ones hands.
 I am all ways wanting another rifle.  I don't have a halfstock hawken so that is on my list of trying to get exactly the one I want.  I would like a copy of the Kit Carson Hawken with a Bob Roller lock and triggers if they can be found.  The Don Stith parts are the ones I been looking at for the rifle.
 It's a life long addiction that I still have and will take to the grave with me.
iloco

Offline Kermit

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 12:29:21 AM »
When you buy/build your second one, you're on the brink. At three you're in serious danger. At four, who cares any more?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 12:57:35 AM »
A collector friend of mine once said . When you have three of something it's a collection. There are a lot of collectors on this forum.
JIM

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 04:47:39 AM »
I think when you buy a gun solely for it's beauty to you, you have become a collector.
Mark Thomas

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 05:29:47 AM »
When you buy/build your second one, you're on the brink. At three you're in serious danger. At four, who cares any more?

AMEN,brother.

galamb

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 06:01:19 AM »
In Canada we have laws that define what a firearms collector is.

So to "officially/legally" be a designated collector you have to convince a Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) that you know and understand the historical, scientific and technical features of the firearms you own or want to acquire.

(some firearms can only be acquired if you have "collector" status)

Otherwise you are simply an "owner" and thus subject to greater restrictions as to what you can possess.

See what you are missing "south of the north border"?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 06:02:10 AM by galamb »

sloe bear

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 07:59:14 PM »
I'm glad I started this little conversation, I now no where I stand "I'm a gun nut" with a collections of accumulated treasures , that I love. the BP sport lead to extensive historical searching and degrees that prove I'm a History nut that stuck in the past with the rest of you guys. Its a great place to be. If I can keep my wife off my back every time I look for another treasure, she keeps telling me I can only shot one at a time who cares they don't eat hay,and on the occasion they accompany me to the range or the field it's a great time the smell gets in your blood. when I'm down thinking of the worlds problems I get to cleaning my "Collection of Accumulated " rifles and all seems right with the world at least in my gun room.

Offline RAT

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »
I would say the items would have to have some value or be unique in some way. The value doesn't mean money. I own 3 guns made by Jack Brooks. They don't have any thing in common except the maker (all are very plain guns). I consider that a collection because the maker is recognized in this field. Buying 3 stock Thompson Center rifles off the rack at the local gun store isn't really a collection. There's nothing unique about that. Anyone with enough money can do that. Owning 3 guns by 3 different makers (recognized in this field) would also qualify as a collection.
Bob

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 01:40:36 AM »
  I had a friend that collected collar buttons. I don't know why. But it made him happy--and I guess that's as good a reason as any.                   
                                   Dan

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 04:16:29 AM »
I think when you buy a gun solely for it's beauty to you, you have become a collector.

Mark,

I believe you've hit the nail squarely on the head.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 06:11:37 PM »
Not really under the contemporary area of interest but when it comes to antique longrifles I have heard the phrase used many times, "A one gun collection".  This has usually denoted someone that had just one very special rifle.  Of the requirements listed to become a member of The Kentucky Rifle Association is the ownership of at least one antique Kentucky rifle.  This is by their definition considered a collection.
Joel Hall

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 02:07:59 AM »
I was in the act of purchasing a WWI vintage Hardy fly reel,  the seller asked if i was going to fish it,

I said yes, I'm not a collector

behind me I heard my wife say - "you could have fooled me"

:D

so - it may be in the eye of the beholder
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Offline Howard

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 10:00:06 PM »
You become a collector when you buy a item to resale & can't find a buyer!!  HA!   Buy what you really like & hopefully you will never be sorry when it is time to part ways with it.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 07:52:27 AM »
Kermit,
If you're in trouble at 4, I must be in deep doodoo. BP guns alone are past the half century mark and that desn't count the suppository guns and those contemporaries in process. Is that collecting or hoarding? I better finish the basement so I'll have some place to live.
Mark
Mark

Offline Kermit

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 08:04:19 AM »
Mark, at 4 you just stop counting!

I think it was in a college anthro class that I heard of an isolated tribe in South America whose language had a very limited number vocabulary:

One
Two
Many

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 01:21:53 AM »
Kermit,
That's what I told my wife a long time ago.  She's gotten to realize they don't all look alike, besides there isn't as much wall space as there once was.
Mark
Mark

Offline Kermit

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 02:54:46 AM »
Must be the walls are shrinking! You could try that...

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 07:49:14 AM »
It must have been hereditary in my case. My Dad had a small collection, as far back as I can remember, and continued to accumulate more through the years.  He was a "general collector", and pretty much bought whatever turned up in our rural Midwestern world.  I started out much the same way, but underwent a transformation after buying my first old percussion halfstock.  It was made in Cincinnati, Ohio, and was soon joined by a few more percussion rifles from here and there. I had soon traded all of the military muskets, Winchesters, and old foreign bolt-actions, for more American long rifles in various forms. Then came another transformation. A local friend of my Dad's told me he had a rifle that had been handed down through his family, and wanted me to take a look at it. It turned out to be a very nice percussion target rifle, with inlays and engraving. The makers name and address on the barrel, were those of an unknown gunmaker, in a town twelve miles from home. I tried my best to buy it, but never could. It did open my eyes to the fact that I lived in a state that had hundreds of gunmakers, but had never been researched by anyone. That was 45 plus years ago.  There are now somewhere over 250 original antique guns, by Illinois makers, in my collection.  Also a few Iowa-made guns, some Civil War guns with local connections, a dozen or so contemporary muzzle-loaders to hunt with, and a few of those "catridge guns" (they ain't safe....there are no breechplugs in them). I do have a very understanding wife, also.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 06:20:57 AM »
I was in the act of purchasing a WWI vintage Hardy fly reel,  the seller asked if i was going to fish it,

I said yes, I'm not a collector

behind me I heard my wife say - "you could have fooled me"

:D Dad once said the difference between a buck and a pigroot is whether you are riding or just watching!
     I too have some lovely Hardys fly rods and reels, great to fish with. 
Black powder arms have a habit of acquiring me. I am off to South Australia to pick up 5 or so assorted muzzle loading rifles, of which one is a lovely .36 long rifle, custom built back in the late 60s or early 70s. and yes the war office does roll her eyes at another tomato stake !!  I too am not a collector ???????

Cheers

Heelerau

so - it may be in the eye of the beholder
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline whitebear

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 09:16:43 AM »
It must have been hereditary in my case. My Dad had a small collection, as far back as I can remember, and continued to accumulate more through the years.  He was a "general collector", and pretty much bought whatever turned up in our rural Midwestern world.  I started out much the same way, but underwent a transformation after buying my first old percussion halfstock.  It was made in Cincinnati, Ohio, and was soon joined by a few more percussion rifles from here and there. I had soon traded all of the military muskets, Winchesters, and old foreign bolt-actions, for more American long rifles in various forms. Then came another transformation. A local friend of my Dad's told me he had a rifle that had been handed down through his family, and wanted me to take a look at it. It turned out to be a very nice percussion target rifle, with inlays and engraving. The makers name and address on the barrel, were those of an unknown gunmaker, in a town twelve miles from home. I tried my best to buy it, but never could. It did open my eyes to the fact that I lived in a state that had hundreds of gunmakers, but had never been researched by anyone. That was 45 plus years ago.  There are now somewhere over 250 original antique guns, by Illinois makers, in my collection.  Also a few Iowa-made guns, some Civil War guns with local connections, a dozen or so contemporary muzzle-loaders to hunt with, and a few of those "catridge guns" (they ain't safe....there are no breechplugs in them). I do have a very understanding wife, also.

Boy!  With a collection like that I would love to see your wife's jewelry box ;D.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline whitebear

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 09:18:26 AM »
One is a single, two is a pair, three is a collection.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 10:27:49 AM »
CurtJ, I have a gun of Illinois interest.  It is a 1795 Springfield musket made in 1801, of the type Lewis and Clark's Army men carried, with a silver thumb plate reading:
          SHADRACH
             BOND
As you probably know, he was the first governor of the new state of Illinois in 1818, fought in the War of 1812, and had an uncle (also Shadrach Bond) who was a Ranger with George Rogers Clark at Vincennes during the Revolutionary War. It is not in good condition, but is a wonderful example of an important type with an impressive pedigree. Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 05:25:53 AM »
My Wife tells me I have never looked at a gun I did not like.........you know shes right.

Vomitus

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 03:04:54 AM »
  I only have five "real" guns. Down to three suppositories. :P