Author Topic: Ramrods: Alternatives to hickory?  (Read 32059 times)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Ramrods: Alternatives to hickory?
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2014, 01:50:07 PM »
Yes, but is there any application where one will not substitute for the other?

let's overthink this.   ;)

Also i'm pretty sure that someone "debunked" the "soak wood in kero/coal oil" for better durability/flexibility at some point.  But feel free to do it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:55:41 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Calaloo

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2014, 02:35:11 PM »
Ya know, yall might not believe this but I've had some hickory ramrods soaking in kerosene for about 20 years. They oughta be done by now. Read to do it in the Dixie catalog. Had a photo of a lady bending one in a circle. I believe I'll uncap that PVC pipe and see if I can tie one in a knot.
Bill

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2014, 05:14:21 PM »
As usuall this one getting out of hand. just what ive heard but never tried it. don't think I will since the chemists have set it straight.

Turtle

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2014, 05:00:39 PM »
 Hi,
I'm new here. Years ago I discovered hollow brass tube ramrods. I now have one on all my muzzleloaders. The thin wall tube makes them relatively lite, their real stiff and strong and they don't get slippery when your hands have patch lube on them. I know, I've never seen an original with one either, but they are accepted at primitive shoots. I When I make a rifle for myself, I make a wood ramrod for it and hang it on the wall.
                            Thanks for this board, Rich (Turtle)

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2014, 05:35:05 PM »
For the purists among us..if you are going to soak your ramrod/ wiping stick in anything; there is absolutely nothing that penetrates better than pure bear oil.  I do believe it will soak right through a gun barrel if given enough time  ;D

Calaloo

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2014, 12:23:07 AM »
I had three 5/16 ths hickory ramrods in the PVC tube with kerosene. I pulled one out and it can be bent in a "U" shape quite easily. Sure smells bad though. I put it outside the shop to see if it stays limber and loses some of its smell.
Bill

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2014, 03:16:32 AM »
Linguini, cooked al dente, works every time.
Robby Lugosi
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2014, 06:14:59 AM »
For the purists among us..if you are going to soak your ramrod/ wiping stick in anything; there is absolutely nothing that penetrates better than pure bear oil.  I do believe it will soak right through a gun barrel if given enough time  ;D

One of my favorite mountain quotes is about the old man that said he filled his rifle barrel with bear oil and the next morning he was wiping the stuff off the exterior with his hand.  And if an old timer says it, you know it's so...

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2014, 06:16:53 AM »
I had three 5/16 ths hickory ramrods in the PVC tube with kerosene. I pulled one out and it can be bent in a "U" shape quite easily. Sure smells bad though. I put it outside the shop to see if it stays limber and loses some of its smell.
Bill

Wallace Gusler said a ramrod doesn't have to be straight, it just has to be straight enough to go down the barrel... ;D

Calaloo

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2014, 10:53:34 PM »
I checked my kerosene soaked ramrod today after 24 hours of drying. It is much stiffer today. I did bend it some but not nearly as far as yesterday for fear it would break.
Bill

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2014, 11:07:59 PM »
I checked my kerosene soaked ramrod today after 24 hours of drying. It is much stiffer today. I did bend it some but not nearly as far as yesterday for fear it would break.
Bill
I hope it works well for you but I soaked several new rr's in kerosene for around 5 years. Used them to make rr's out of and by the time I sold the rifles the rr's seemed no different from regular rr's so I haven't bothered with doing anymore.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2014, 04:38:00 AM »
I split my ram rods out , so they are not perfectly straight…they have just enough "wow" in them to stay put in the pipes where they belong. 

Calaloo

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2014, 03:05:12 PM »
latest and last report on kerosene soaked ramrod. Broke it yesterday (48 hours after removing it from the PVC pipe. I decided to see how far it would bend and the result was not as far as the previous day before the rod broke. I can state without reservation that with this stick soaking a hickory ramrod in kerosene makes it very flexible as long as the fluid is oozing out of it but it looses its flexibility very quickly.
Bill

Offline J Henry

« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2014, 05:58:10 PM »
  I choke up on my ram rod so it doesn't bend,just like we teach during loading,,so why would anyone care if the rod would bend in a circle?????
  Try Red Oak for a ram rod,,has veins that run the length of the wood,about suck up what ever you soak it in.You can put a vacuum cleaner to it and pull the liquid right up into the rod..White Oak will not work,,

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2014, 07:41:51 PM »
... Try Red Oak for a ram rod,,has veins that run the length of the wood...
[/quote]

Have you used red oak for a ramrod?  It splits so hilariously easy* that I've never considered such.  Just curious, not arguing but inquiring.

*For a few years i split all my firewood by hand and was used to busting Hickory and Black Locust primarily, so when a large Red Oak fell over and I bucked it up, i was dreading the splitting thereof.  First blow put my maul so far into the dirt and the pieces so far away, that it was literally...hilarious.  I laugh for a while and throttled back my maul swingers. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2014, 02:17:52 AM »
Osage orange will make the strongest ramrod, even better than hickory. The problem is finding a straight enough piece, and then getting it worked down to a usable rod. Ash splits out nicely, but is not as strong and flexible as hickory.

I had one made of Osage orange.  Took me forever to find the proper piece of wood.  Years.  And the person who made the rod for me...said never again!  It is beautiful with its burled black walnut NC .45 longrifle though.

I have a hickory rod that I use for every day use instead of the Osage one.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2014, 03:52:37 AM »
I had one made of Osage orange.  Took me forever to find the proper piece of wood.  Years.  And the person who made the rod for me...said never again! 
I cut a Bodock Sunday (i has to travel down to the lowlands to get it) for to split out a packin' stick.  Probably happen this weekend.  I rather enjoy working the Osage, but i've not done much with it green.  I have some big slabs that are 30 years old that I keep "chipping" away at for scales and such.

Hold to the Wind

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2014, 07:44:43 PM »
I had to replace the rod in my fowler yesterday.  I have a couple of nice 1/2" hickory blanks but I decided to try one out of some hardward dowel.  It is an oriental wood called 'ramin'.  It's grain runs full length, and while it is a little softer than hickory, it made into a nice rod (thanks again to Acer's ramrod tapering plate).  But I know I'll have to choke up on it and push the ball with 6 to 8" strokes.  I like a very tight patched ball.
I made a tapered rod for my Hawken out of Osage Orange, stained it with AF at the same time I stained the hickory one, and now I cannot tell them apart.  It made a great rod.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2014, 10:27:22 PM »
Ive used a ramin wood rod before.  Not near as strong as hickory, but can work in a pinch, esp if its thicker in diameter. 

Hickory, when it does break, tends to do so in a jagged point, and per the pics, can impale your hand in the process.  Im told Ramin breaks mostly straight across the grain, and thats exactly what happened to mine.  It broke when the fouling was building up and I was sort of hammering a 50 cal ball down with short strokes.  The up side was it broke off pretty clean and didnt leave me bloody, but I dont think a good hickory rod would have normally broken with what I was doing at the time.  I replaced it with a nice straight grained hickory version, because I wanted something that would hold up in these situations.   

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2014, 11:43:39 PM »
I had one made of Osage orange.  Took me forever to find the proper piece of wood.  Years.  And the person who made the rod for me...said never again! 
I cut a Bodock Sunday (i has to travel down to the lowlands to get it) for to split out a packin' stick.  Probably happen this weekend.  I rather enjoy working the Osage, but i've not done much with it green.  I have some big slabs that are 30 years old that I keep "chipping" away at for scales and such.

I enjoy working with Osage orange.  Great knife grips.  Works good far as I am concerned. But then again I never made a tapered ram rod out of it either!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2014, 12:39:08 AM »
When I think about bending but not breaking, I think of archery bows.  To make a durable bow from many woods, including Osage Orange, one must never cut across a growth ring.  In other words it has to have split right down the growth ring, or the outside of the bow (the face), will eventually fail catastrophically.  Hickory is one wood that just doesn't care all that much about whether or not there has been some shaping that crosses growth rings.  Some woods when hit with the axe will split right across growth rings because there is good adhesion between one years grow and the next.  That makes the wood unsuitable.

So hickory was chosen for several reasons for ramrods. Available, strong, kind of workable (though stringy) and it resists splitting when bent.  One poor quality is that it swells when wet more than many woods.  So you're better off with a slightly crooked but undersized hickory rod than one that is tight in the thimbles.

If your split hardwood intended for ramrods is too crooked, straighten it some with heat just as you would a bow, or a snowshoe frame, or a fish net frame.  The general rule is to steam green woods and use dry heat on seasoned woods.

Andover, Vermont