Author Topic: Powder storage limits?  (Read 19799 times)

Offline Kermit

Powder storage limits?
« on: February 20, 2014, 07:12:47 AM »
I know they vary across the country, but I'm particularly curious as to how Californians deal with what I understand is a 1lb (ONE pound) limit on possession and storage of Holy Black. Are there permits? Do you just ignore it and hope?

Serious question. Any serious replies?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline heelerau

Re: Powder storage limits?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 07:18:24 AM »
Here in WA, its a case of what the eye don't see the heart don't grieve !! All the same you do want to be a bit thoughtful about how much you might keep about the place and what and where you store it.  I live on a small rural property, no neighbours near enough if something untoward happened, and keep it in a root cellar.

Cheers

\heelerau
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 11:47:39 PM »
Kermit, I did some investigating a year or so ago and even called around, and this one pound limit is said to be not for sporting/shooting powder. I never got a clear response about it though--- just like most governmental agencies, no one really knows and you get different answers depending upon who you call. So I have and use what I have and use. I usually have a couple three pounds on hand at any one time. I think you could go to 5-10 pounds and not have any issues. I keep it in an loose lidded igloo ice chest in my garage near the door.

K
Galations 2:20

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 01:37:09 AM »
Thanks, Ken. I'll keep asking around too.

All my powder, holy black and unholy white, are in big steel ammo can, painted red and right inside my garage door too. The lid is never locked down. I figure if nastiness happened, much of the force would be directed up. I haven't tested my theory.
 ;D

galamb

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 04:45:48 AM »
For any Canuck's stopping in on this thread our limits depend on "where" you store it.

If you store it in a dwelling, provided it's in a "suitable receptacle" defined as a substantial box or container, kept away from flammable material, with a tightly fitting lid secured by a lock, that can be easily removed in case of a fire, you can keep a total of 10 kg (22 lbs) of black or smokeless powder (combined).

If you construct a detached building or bin (made of a suitable fireproof material - ie. stone, brick, concrete etc) you are allowed to store up to 75 kg (165 lbs) of black or smokeless (combined)

(The Explosives Act, R.S.C., c. E-17, section 136)

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 04:47:42 AM »
Oh kermit... please test your theory - inquiring minds want to know.

:)  8)

dp

I store mine in an old 50 caliber ammo box also, lid not locked. It is in my shop but I don't believe anything could really happen to it except the shop catching on fire and there is not a heck of a lot that would combust for very long so I am hope'n it will not get that hot even.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 04:49:21 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 06:25:20 AM »
So California is really starting to scare me. The Pacific Primitive Rendezvous is in the bear state this year. I've also been told only one pound of black powder in your possession and I heard no lead. Does anyone know the real facts? I'm nearly afraid to even travel in that great state let alone compete in a black powder event. Bob

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 05:43:53 PM »
In many instances, it is the state fire marshall who determines how and how much powder that an individual can store and possess and it is written into the fire codes.  Usually more restrictive than state and federal laws, especially in heavily populated areas.  If a fire occurs, it is the firemen who must deal with the consequences.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 06:24:50 PM »
Oh kermit... please test your theory - inquiring minds want to know.

Let's see--50cal can, 10-20lbs BP, ignition system, large open space...  Any volunteers?

Bob, I'd contact the PPR organizers. Seems they ought to have done their homework!

BTW, my powder is in one of these, with casters added.
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=922
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 07:24:46 PM by Kermit »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 06:56:57 PM »
Bob;

That no lead law doesn't go into affect until 2018, I think. And then only pertains to hunting, not target shooting. The powder limit used to be fifty pounds, if kept in a mobile magazine as previously mentioned. These magazines can be purchased from several suppliers. Most are easily made from a good sealed double locked ( required) steel job sight tool box with steel casters added for mobility, and a spark proof liner, for a better fire rating.

Hungry Horse

dlbarr

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 08:27:59 AM »
I'd be curious to know what the limit is here WA state...at one time I may have been over limit although I doubt very much if I am today. Still, knowing what the legal limits are would be helpful if anybody knows - I hate to think of asking the authorities...

Off the subject a little here but does anybody have an opinion about this KIK powder? Saw some recently in an article and appears that Powder, Inc sells it at a lower price than Goex.

dagner

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 07:41:46 AM »
  you are close Kermit -the box is supposed to have a complete  hard foam interior supposedly to prevent sparks from the metal container.  in the peoples republic of Illinois the limit is 3 lbs of black for a individual.25 for a club in above approved container under state  permit more but must have a under ground  storage  bunker.

tuffy

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 04:31:19 PM »

Here's why Black Powder doesn't "explode" in a house fire;

quoted from the Mad Monk on this forum,,
"ANY source of heat may ignite black powder.  Sparks produce heat, yes.  But any source of heat can result in ignition.  But!  If you heat the powder slowly it will not really ignite.  Smolder yes.  In order to ignite black powder and get the results you see if you ignite a pile or string on the ground the heat must be intense and fast.  Heated slowly the first thing that happens is that the sulfur turns to a vapor up close to the boiling point of water temperature.  This would in itself blow the top off a tin powder can.  Has happened numerous times around here.  While the sulfur vapors themselves are flammable they don't always ignite.  The contents of the can then simply burns rapidly but does not really blow up".

This was posted by on an earlier discussion.

4ster

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 05:14:16 PM »
I'd be curious to know what the limit is here WA state...at one time I may have been over limit although I doubt very much if I am today. Still, knowing what the legal limits are would be helpful if anybody knows - I hate to think of asking the authorities...

A year or so ago the WA State Muzzleloaders Association was lobbying the legislature to get BP storage amounts increased.  I think the bill failed. I just did a search and came up with a pretty detailed answer that _seems_ accurate.  I checked the transportation requirement in Washington State's WACs and it matched with the requirement below.  I am confident the others are current as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BLACK POWDER
WAC 296-52-71075 Shipping containers. Black powder, used in muzzleloading firearms must be packed,
stored, and transported in U.S. DOT approved shipping containers.
WAC 296-52-71080 Storage.
(1) Private residence. No more than 5 pounds of black powder is permitted. No restrictions apply.
(2) Private car. No more than 5 pounds of black powder is permitted. No restrictions apply.

RCW 70.74.340
Small arms ammunition, primers and propellants — Transportation, storage and display requirements.
Black powder as used in muzzle loading firearms may be transported in a private vehicle or stored without restriction in private residences in quantities not to exceed five pounds.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:59:34 PM by 4ster »

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 07:00:48 PM »
FACTS: The 2008 California lead ban is for hunting only-- and it also, at the moment, is limited to the historical condor range in southern and central California ending about 50 miles north of Fresno, and limited to big game hunting and coyotes etc… In 2018 a NEW law will go into effect and then there will be a State-wide ban on HUNTING with lead. so far, there is NO law restricting the use of lead in open-air target shooting-- unless the specific range restricts it.

To clarify, Northern CA  is NOT within the historical condor range so the PPR will be totally fine even if the current ban WAS for target usage.  No need to panic. PPR should be a fine event. The biggest concern at the moment for the event is the catastrophic state-wide drought that currently has California by the short hairs.

There could very well be campfire restrictions this Spring and Summer throughout CA. Be careful with your fires and your sparks!!

By the way, there IS a lead alternative for hunting with slow-twist patched roundball guns. visit www.tomboboutdoors.com. I have been using it since 2009 or so.

regards, Ken
(California born, and I still live and play here for some insane reason ;D)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:04:35 PM by Ken Prather »

jamesthomas

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 11:55:45 PM »
 That's o.k. I'll pass on the $1.00 a round .50 cal. round balls  ::) how do you get them out if you dry ball if you don't have a patent breech, I've been told they are to hard to drill a ball puller into.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 12:03:40 AM by james e »

Offline Kermit

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 02:52:06 AM »
CO2 ball-pusher-outer.  ;D

jamesthomas

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 03:03:22 AM »
 Sometimes they don't work on a flintlock. I had a dry ball at a woods walk and the folks that ran it tried a CO2 pusher-outer and it didn't work. I finally found my ball puller, (it was hiding in the corner) and got it out.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 03:04:47 AM by james e »

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 03:36:08 AM »
well I'd pass too if I could…   ;)

You are right these ITX roundballs are harder and you cannot use a ball screw on em. The trick is to not dry ball… ;D I am very careful when I load em. I'd say if you got them stuck, you might have to unbreach the barrel and push them out with a rod. I do not own a Co2 discharger-- it might work but depends on how stuck it is.

Since they are for hunting, how many do you need for a season after you have them dialed in? I found that they shot (hunting accuracy) fine with the same charge as my lead roundball load. I maybe use 5-10 per season--I discharge my load after every hunting session. $10 bucks is what? a movie ticket now days?

They work. I have found no other option out there---yet. But they will come along if the ban starts spreading east. I hope someone will invent a softer option that will work even better in our traditional guns, but until that happens...

K

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:52:55 PM by Ken Prather »

Offline Kermit

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 06:17:12 PM »
I watched a fellow use one to clear a ball from a flinter. He poured some sort of moose milk down the bore and let it sit a couple of minutes before setting off the CO2. He said it was to get the patch good and slippery. It worked that time.

Bible Totin Gun Slinger

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 11:11:40 PM »
Here in Utah Black Powder is not available, the state made the license to sell it so expensive nobody sells it any more.
I go to Wyoming every other week and buy a can.

About every time I go out I load at least one dry ball, on my Hawken, so all I have to do is unscrew a nipple and use the funnel I stole from the doctors office (The kind he sticks in your ear),,,and put a few grns down the hole, a cap and If you shoot it straight up you can catch the ball.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:52:16 AM by Bible Totin Gun Slinger »

Charlie

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 07:10:56 AM »
Washington State law on black powder are nuts,You are allowed 5 lbs in your residence but you can put 50lbs in the trunk of an auto lock it and park it on your driveway.State law only applies to dwellings Federal law kicks in when it comes to vehicles.

dlbarr

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 08:32:42 AM »
Here in Utah Black Powder is not available, the state made the license to sell it so expensive nobody sells it any more.
I go to Wyoming every other week and buy a can.

About every time I go out I load at least one dry ball, on my Hawken, so all I have to do is unscrew a nipple and use the funnel I stole from the doctors office (The kind he sticks in your ear),,,and put a few grns down the hole, a cap and If you shoot it straight up you can catch the ball.

You're kidding....right?!

Offline Kermit

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 04:35:02 PM »

About every time I go out I load at least one dry ball, on my Hawken...

You gotta work on that problem, man!

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 05:10:01 PM »
maybe he should switch to a breech loading gun of some sort? ….But I do recall dry balling a couple times in my sordid past.