Author Topic: Scraper--very cool!  (Read 12395 times)

Offline Kermit

Scraper--very cool!
« on: February 25, 2014, 02:36:34 AM »
This is a really neat scraper called a "chair scraper" that you make yourself. First, go to the Lie-Nielsen site for instructional videos.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/free-instructional-videos/

Then scroll down the right side until you find "Making a Chair Scraper with Aled Lewis." It's about a 45 minute video that takes you through making this great little tool. You probably already have all or most of the materials lying about your shop.

Amazing that L-N is giving this away rather than making it in bronze and charging mega-bux. I'm making one tomorrow. I'm pretty sure this one's a keeper. Don't you love it when there's a handy tool you can make for yourself?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

dlbarr

Re: Scraper--very cool!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 01:10:18 AM »
Yes, that's a cool tool. Wish they'd shown the entire process up close as opposed to how they shot it.

One thing I missed is what is the material from which the blade is made? Or is it a commercial blade?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:59:09 AM by Dave »

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 09:23:08 PM »
Dave, I believe that he says that it is 1/32" sawblade stock - I have no idea where he got it.

I made one a couple years ago out of rosewood and bone following these instructions - http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/scraper.html - and using a piece of an old dovetail saw. It looks nice but doesn't work well - not sure if it is the fact that the blade is vertical and filed at a 45 degree bevel instead of sloped like the one in the video, or if the blade is too dull, or whether the mouth is too small, or what.

I ought to try messing with it some more, and maybe make one with an angled blade as well.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

dlbarr

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 07:46:31 AM »
I will need to go back and look at that video again. It seems to be just the thing for trimming done the forestock on my current build.

kaintuck

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 01:55:24 PM »
TRICKERY!!! :D
You got me over to the sight just so I would be tempted to buy a new float, and rasp, and spokeshave....oh my!
 ::)

Oh to be wealthy, and get 2of each!
Marc

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 03:34:20 PM »
The only part he left out was how to shape and sharpen the blade. ???

Offline Kermit

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 10:35:37 PM »

bodgerman

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 12:18:22 AM »
Scrapers are pretty easy to sharpen. Saw blade and most scraper stock will cut with a file. Stand it edge up in a vice and file it for this type of scraper at a 45degree profile. I'd draw file in this case, easier to hold at a 45. while still in the vice hone it like any edge tool, removing the wire edge by running the stone vertical. when you're at a 45 and polished bright, dab a little machine oil, tallow, nose oil, whatever on the edge.
  Now you turn a hook with a burnisher. Take a hard steel object, it can be a lot of things, I use the shank of a long shank tap. You hold it on the 45 degree bevel, and slide it forward and back, slowly changing the angle of burnisher to a more perpendicular angle to the blade. You're actually swedging the steel over into a hook. Depending on pressure and angle you can make this hook from very aggressive to very fine. It's not rocket science to figure out how to make the edge you want. 
  My card scrapers I'll usually roll one edge aggressive, the opposite edge light. Most my scrapers I use freehand, just a piece of sawblade shaped to whatever shape I wish for what I'm trying to scrape. It's a good way to get rid of those crappy modern saws when you replace it with a good vintage one. Or pick saws up at garage sales and cut the blades to shapes you desire.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 07:51:04 AM »
Absolutely. Garage sale and thrift store handsaws. It's exactly the steel you want. Easy to break, file, sharpen. Don't bother with rusty, pitted ones. Surface rust is usually okay, and drives the price down.

dryfire6

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 04:11:33 PM »
Kermit, the link you posted no longer works. :(

Offline Kermit

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 07:09:40 PM »
Still on YouTube.  "Making a Chair Scraper with Aled Lewis."