Author Topic: Post pictures  (Read 4785 times)

Willydontknow

Post pictures
« on: February 27, 2014, 12:49:46 AM »
Hello all, I am new to the site and maybe I am brain dead but can not figure out how to post pictures. I was handed down a long rifle and I am trying to find out about it. Took the barrel off but can not make out all the lettering, thought maybe some of you guru's on here might be of some help. Thank you, Willy 

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Post pictures
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 01:05:31 AM »
Willy,

Welcome to ALR.  Here's a link to a tutorial on posting pictures here.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

Looking forward to seeing your rifle.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 08:56:43 PM »
Posting these photos for Willy

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

oakridge

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 11:34:48 PM »
Could be the mark of Pennsylvania barrelmaker Daniel Siegfried, per Sellers' American Gunsmiths.

galamb

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 02:29:37 AM »
I'll take the first guess -

The trigger guard, back action lock, shape of the butt plate, the nose of the forestock and the perch belly all say Ohio (ca. 1850'ish)  to me.

Don't recognize the patchbox at all - but looking through a mountain of pics.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 02:49:03 AM »
Pretty hard to place a rifle made in this era without a signature. I would say New York.
Joel Hall

Offline awol

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 03:18:32 AM »
The patchbox is a style that is found occasionally on New York rifles.  I did not find a "Siegfried" or similar in my books on NY firearms (Swinney's).

Online Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 08:51:23 AM »
This rifle looks like a New York product. The patchbox, deer inlay in cheek, checkered wrist, barrel bands at breech, rather short forestock length, and style of lock bolt washer all suggest a New York rifle. It looks like the patchbox may have been removed and then reinstalled using brass screws, and possibly the same holds for the butt plate. But overall, it looks like a well-made NY rifle circa 1840s. Shelby Gallien

Offline JIM FRANCIS

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 07:48:18 AM »
I HAVE A FULL STOCK RIFLE WITH THE EXACT PATCHBOX. MY RIFLE IS SIGNED "L COON". HE WAS ACTIVE IN ITHACA, NY. RIFLES FROM THIS PERIOD WERE MADE BY LEVI COON JR. HOPE THIS HELPS.....JIM

eddillon

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 08:44:32 AM »
I'll take a guess.  Barrel, D. Siegfried, Pennsylvania barrel maker.  Rifle by a New York maker.  Probably pretty easy to order a barrel from a Pennsylvania barrel maker just a few miles south of the state line.

Offline nord

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 05:48:03 PM »
A fairly typical "border" rifle. Ithaca wouldn't be out of the question. Then again, neither would Bradford. Susquehanna, or Tioga counties in PA.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.