Author Topic: Ken Gahagan fowler  (Read 8715 times)

Offline Dan'l 1946

Ken Gahagan fowler
« on: March 12, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »
  There's a fowler by Ken Gahagan on the Blog this morning that is utterly amazing. It looked like an original--even after I knew it wasn't. Just beautiful!          
                                                               Dan

Here's a link.... http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2014/03/fowler-by-ken-gahagan.html

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:32:23 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline THOMAS PICUCCI

• Starting Member
Re: Ken Gahagan fowler
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 03:43:04 PM »
WOW That's a beauty!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 03:55:18 PM »
Smashing good gun!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 09:38:21 PM »
That gun "Rocks", like everthing Ken builds.  Definitely over the top.
David

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 02:39:15 AM »
 Super work! Looks great with the hardware changes, and appears from the photos that the relatively lighter dimensions of the original were maintained. Very cool piece, full of life, not a @!*% thing static about it.   

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 02:54:38 PM »
A beautiful gun that pulls your eyes to examine every inch of it.  I can see it hanging over the fireplace and
calling out....take me hunting.  You killed it Ken.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 03:38:24 PM »
I remember seeing this at the CLA and admired it then.  So much to like.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 03:41:05 PM »
Beautiful work as usual Ken. Seems to me that you keep raising the bar!

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 04:43:52 PM »
Kens' table is always one of the first ones I hit at a show.There is always some incredible stuff to be found there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mitch Yates

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 07:52:18 PM »
Super work! Looks great with the hardware changes, and appears from the photos that the relatively lighter dimensions of the original were maintained. Very cool piece, full of life, not a @!*% thing static about it.   
"Static" is one of my favorite descriptive terms for gun work. There's alot of static work out there, but this isn't part of it. ken has rapidly become one of my favorite gun makers.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 06:28:04 AM »
I remember seeing this at the CLA and admired it then.  So much to like.

I thought that very same thing (being at the CLA), but I wasn't quit sure.

Offline skunemonk

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 02:28:53 AM »
 Ken sure does build a beautiful fowler. You guys are right, nothing static about this gun. The best part of it is, I get to look at it every single day hanging in my living room. I find something new about it every time I pick it up plus it sure does shoot good. Perfect balance and it comes right up to my eye when I shoulder it. I couldn't be happier. I'll have it out in the woods May 1st for New York's turkey season. Thanks again Ken.

Jeff

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 02:37:31 AM »
Welcome Jeff. You sure have a great gun there. Please keep us posted as to your adventures with it.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 03:07:24 PM »
Lucky dog! ;D

Offline k gahagan

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 04:56:23 AM »
Jeff, I'm glad your pleased with your Fowler and hope it serves you well in all your hunting adventures. As I mentioned in the text with the blog pictures I was able to base this piece on the original that I had for a few months.  While this Fowler looks very much like other Hudson Valley Fowlers I have made it is smaller and lighter in proportion and a smaller gauge at 24 that most I've made based on other originals. The owner of the gun attributes this to it being a Mohawk Valley Fowler which he feels is a subspecies of the Hudson Valley Fowler. I can't say I've ever heard of a particular group or school of Fowlers referred to this way but I would be very interested in finding out if anyone else has. Thank you all for your comments.