Author Topic: GRRW Jim Bridger Hawken  (Read 14736 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: GRRW Jim Bridger Hawken
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 06:09:07 AM »
I know people with FAR better and more valuable ML guns that shoot them. Shooting a GRRW would not concern me in the slightest no matter how "new" it was. I have a Colt Custom Shop 1911 that is 1 or 300 and I carry and shoot it. If I can't shoot it its just a really expensive paperweight.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2014, 06:29:41 AM »
Gunnermike, thanks for posting those photos of the GRRW Bridger Hawkens.  No. 10 was built by Gardell Powell and No. 9 by Carl Walker.  Back in those days they used acid stains and they faded out.  I talked with Carl about No.9.  He said the builders did not do the stock finishing (it was done by skilled women in the finishing room, including the browning).  He said it was likely finished with potassium permanganate.  I was asked by the owner to refinish a fullstock flint .54 Hawken built by one of their builders years after the business closed, who had finished it with "some kind of acid".  After 9 years this rifle had turned as white as No. 9, though never fired and kept indoors out of the sunlight.  While experimenting with how to refinish it I discovered I could apply Fiebings dark brown oil leather dye and it went right through the linseed oil finish.  That was maybe 6 or 8 years ago and the rifle looks as dark today.  The owner of No. 9 will leave it as is, I know him.

Sounds like they used Potassium Permanganate. "Purple Crystals".  Nice color but not color fast.
Ferric Nitrate (Aqua Fortis they call it) is permanent.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

JoeG

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2014, 07:51:56 AM »
Hunting weapons with scopes with new powder and big bullets were more humane to hunt with especially in order to shoot at long distance

I think  those are called cartridge guns 

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 02:50:31 PM »
Which has more value?
A pristine Win. 1886, or a Win. 1886 that Ted. Roosevelt owned and hunted with.
All quality guns should be used with respect and care.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!