Author Topic: Sharon "Hawkin rifle"  (Read 16096 times)

sloe bear

Sharon "Hawkin rifle"
« on: March 19, 2014, 07:41:44 PM »
I have a Hawkin rifle clone made from a kit way back in the 1970's, this gun has been well used Even broken at the wrist,since repaired,dowels glued and rawhide wrap, this has been a very good rifle . I guess my thoughts are what happened to all of these rifles never see them any more, I don't know the lock but the stock is American walnut, greenriver barrel, iron furniture browned back in the day /I had intended to post some photos but it did not work ?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:59:11 PM by sloe bear »

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
Re: Sharon "Hawkin rifle"
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
One of my good friends has a Sharon Hawken that his Dad gave him for HS graduation back in the 70's.  It is a great shooter and a good looking rendition of a Hawken.  But I thought that his rifle has a Sharon barrel on it.  This brings up the question -- wasn't the same barrel making equipment used by GRRW, Sharon, and Montana barrels at various times with just various owners and my understanding now is that that equipment is owned and operated by Oregon Barrel Co. in Oregon.  Anyone know the whole story and what barrel or barrels were used on the Sharon hawken?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:05:05 PM »
You forgot Orion after Montana. Yup, I think you're right.

Hungry Horse

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 08:34:02 PM »
Back in the 70's I had a Itacha Hawken rifle.  I think Navy Arms bought out the rifle and built them for a while.   I have also wondered what happened to all those rifles.  I regret selling it but I needed food on the table so let a lot of good rifles go back in those days.
iloco

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 10:18:54 PM »
Some where along the line there was a conection to Las Vegas and Austraila for Green River barrels or rifles. Can some one expound on that too?

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 11:36:04 PM »
 If you google Green River Rifle Works Australia, their site will come up.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 11:54:25 PM »
I have a Sharon Hawken that I bought new as a kit. I 'think' it was advertised as having a Sharon barrel.

Of course back then I had little to no idea what a Hawken was suppose to look like, so the stock looks more like a poor trade rifle. Still shoots good though! Well, at least it did when I shot it last, about 25 years ago,,,,,
John
John Robbins

Offline Hefner

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 11:14:01 PM »
My first two custom rifles that I built used Sharon barrels, locks, and furniture purchased from Charlie Maggard in Phoenix in the 1970's.  Charlie also sold me two GRRW barrels for a full stock Hawken flinter (with interchangeable barrels in .40 & .50 cal.)

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 06:27:56 AM »
Here is some of the information I have found on Sharon Rifle Barrel Co. and the successors to Green River Rifle Works in old muzzleloading magazines of the period.

Sharon Rifle Barrel Co. began producing quality muzzleloader barrels around 1974 and started making Hawken kits in 1976.  Sharon offered a half stock and a full stock Hawken along with a smooth bore English fowling piece and a less common trade rifle.  Sharon's Hawken kits were well received in the marketplace, helped by the positive reputation their barrels had established.  The company ran into financial trouble and closed in 1978.

The Sharon barrel making equipment was sold to Hayden-Holmes in Colorado Springs, Colorado.  It didn't last very long, and the equipment went either to California or Oregon.

Sharon's impact in the market is disproportionate to their time on the market.  Their actual production run was less than two years with enough Hawken kit inventory built up at the time of bankruptcy that another company, Old West Arms of Lakewood, CO, was able to continue sales post-bankruptcy for another year or so.

Green River Rifle Works went bankrupt in the fall of 1980.  Efforts to reorganize the company and bring it out of bankruptcy failed, and the barrel making equipment was sold to a Hamilton in Duchesne, Utah who formed a company called Green River Company.  That company only lasted about a year, and the barrel making equipment was sold again.

It was moved to Grand Junction, CO and a new company called Green River Barrel Co. was formed.  It operated there for a few years.  The company may have been sold again.  In any event, it was moved to Las Vegas, NV and operated there under the same name until about 1990.  During the mid-1980's, TOTW sold Green River Barrel Co. barrels.

I visited with Doc White last May while on a trip to Roosevelt, Utah and asked him about the Australian company and where the barrel making equipment ended up.  He said the Australian Green River Rifle Works started using the company name without his permission and has no connection to the old company in Roosevelt.  Since he hadn't registered the name or trade mark in Australia, there wasn't much he could do about their use of the name.  None of the old GRRW barrel making equipment went to Australia.  On one of his trips to Las Vegas a couple years ago, he went by the location where the old equipment had been used.  He said that the building had new security set up around it, and the equipment was being used to make .50 caliber machine gun barrels again.  Since that was what it was originally designed and set up for, it has come full circle.

Phil Meek
Phil Meek

The Goose

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 09:08:55 PM »
My .54 Sharon "Hawken" (style)

sloe bear

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 12:14:59 AM »
that's what I'm talk-en about, your rifle is my rifles brother , and they do shoot great, I had mine personalized with my Mt man handle never intended to let it go , but my granson has laid claim to it and that's where it belongs.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 07:03:18 AM »
   The things I remember about Sharon barrels the bore looked like a mirror and a tight patched ball went down as smoother than any barrel I had loaded before.    AL
Alan K. Merrill

fcornell

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 11:29:36 PM »
I have a rifle with a .45 cal Sharon barrel and a rifle with a .54 cal. Green River barrel. From reading the previous posts it appears that they were made on the same equipment however the Sharon bore is much better than the Green River. As a previous poster stated the bore is mirror bright.  While of good quality my Green River barrel required quit a bit of lapping to polish up.

Frank

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 11:49:37 PM »
I believe that Hall Sharon pulled a tungsten carbide ball through the bore after rifling, and that gave the bore a mirror finish.  But that might be 'urban legend'..
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 03:08:47 AM »
Sharon kits had Sharon barrels and GRRW kits had GRRW barrels.  I believe the Sharon equipment ended up in Oregon and is used to make Oregon barrels.  Earlier Sharon barrels were broached and the later ones were cut rifled.   As I understand it, Hall Sharon was trying to broach deep grooves early on and had some spectacular hydraulic blow ups.  My dad and I bought a big lot of Green River Barrel Company barrels from Jim Salmon in Salt Lake City in the 90s, and they were good barrels.  They were being made in Las Vegas at the time.  In the beginning, GRRW sent a machinist to Bill Large for tutelage and and bought some equipment from him.  The old Douglas, Large, and GRRW barrels were not expected to shoot well until about 100 rounds or so had polsihed them up a bit.   The sleeper barrels in the old days came from Numerich.  They were broached and came out shooting from the get go.  There were two 1 1/8" .58 barrels that dominated a lot of the Oklahoma shoots in the late 70s and 80s, both Numerich.  My dad owned one of them.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

AlanInMassachusetts

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 04:28:29 PM »
Thought you might like to see a Sharon ad.  I put together their Trade rifle kit decades ago.  It has enabled me to bring home some loot from various contests over the years. I've had a couple of offers to sell, but it was my first black powder rifle & I'm keeping it.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 06:45:18 PM »
Thanks for sharing the ad, Alan.
I'm going to print it, and keep it with my rifle!
John
John Robbins

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 07:40:39 PM »
 An old timer in my gun club has a Sharon trade rifle kit, that he has never put together. I hit him up every time I see him, but he isn't interested in selling. I guess he's saving the project until he slows down, he's ninety, so it should be happening soon.

Hungry Horse

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 12:00:19 AM »
I put one of those trade rifle kits together as my first "build". I eventually re-stocked it with a flatter buttplate.  It's been a good rifle.
Andover, Vermont

sloe bear

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 07:12:59 PM »
 I'm supper happy I started with this question, and was really pleased to see the original ad, I remember trying to decide which one  to  purchase, the full stock or the 1/2 it turns out I did the half stock and wish I had done them both oh well hind sight is 20/20 . this has been a great ride with lots of information all good.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 05:39:41 PM »
I have a Sharon Trade Rifle in .54 caliber.  A real good shooter, but requires more powder for good accuracy than my .54 caliber Douglas.  The Douglas is a tack driver with 80 grains, but the Sharon won't shoot a tight group until loaded with a little over 100 grains. Slower twist I believe, one turn in 72 inches perhaps?

I also have a Green River Rifle Works Hawken in .58 caliber.  I have never fired it, so can't comment on its accuracy.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 03:45:06 PM »
Here's a post a while back that provides some more information about the Sharon and GRRW's Hawken rifles.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=25757.0

Rootsy

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 06:26:27 PM »
I put together a Sharon Trade Rifle kit for a fellow a few years ago.  I believe it was the kit that had been up for auction via the internet at one time.