Author Topic: Gun of ill intent  (Read 10986 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Gun of ill intent
« on: March 20, 2014, 12:40:37 AM »
FAKERY! ;D (according to some recent posts)
 Just off the bench. club butt fowling gun. Stocked in Iowa cherry cut 4 decades ago. colerain 11 bore barrel 46" long. Davis colonial lock. Butt is 5 1/4" x 2 1/4".

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Gun of ill intent
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 12:41:40 AM »
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 01:50:54 AM »
Love everything about it. What does the reddish color come from?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 02:55:51 AM »
Mike,
That is one bad a$$ gun.  I'm still trying to find something I don't like about it, but so far no such luck.  Everything just flows together so nicely.  I'd love to shoot it.  I can visualize many dead ducks in its future.
David

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 03:55:27 AM »
Very nice Mike.  It's got a lot of personality.

Offline Angus

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 04:33:05 AM »
Mike,
I don't understand, your sign is the back drop for the photo. Who couldn't trust a hard working Iowa gunmaker. Maybe you better hang it up in the chicken coop for a while to give it a little more character.
That is awesome, I like it, red isn't everyones color, but Hey Jack, you don't have to take their money!

I keep telling myself I need to take a road trip down to your farm and check out the crops.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 06:33:20 AM »
Really like the scoop trailing back to the butt. The simple becoming elegant.  Was this from an original or your idea. I've not seen it before.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »
Really like the scoop trailing back to the butt. The simple becoming elegant.  Was this from an original or your idea. I've not seen it before.
It's a compilation of several guns in Grinslade's book. This kind of stuff is really fun and interesting for me to build.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 03:57:08 PM »
Love everything about it. What does the reddish color come from?
I used Jim Klien's stains. One coat of orange and one coat of golden brown. Turned out to look just like aged cherry does....purely by accident. ;D

Some other details that aren't clear in the photos;
There's a slight swell at the ram rod entry, the pipes are steel trade gun pipes. No trigger plate.  Home split hickory ramrod. This gun weighs 8 1/2 lbs.

Thanks all for the compliments. This one heads to Oregon today or tomorrow.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 04:51:41 PM »
There is a very lucky fella in Oregon. Nice gun. Nice color. Great lines.

Offline David Rase

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 05:29:30 PM »
This one heads to Oregon today or tomorrow.

Hopefully whoever the client is will attend Ron Scott's Oregon Gunmakers Fair on April 26 and 27 so I can fondle it! :D
I love club butt fowlers. 
I have a 12g oct/rd barrel inlet into a piece of maple band saw profiled to a Dutch club butt fowler pattern sitting in a rack at my shop waiting to be worked on.
David

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 09:14:41 PM »
I like!   ;D

Two questions.  1, tell about the 3 lock bolts, don't think I've ever noticed that before on a gun

2, Am I really seeing the lock panels wider at the front and tapered in width at the rear (from top or bottom view)?  How'd you pull that one off?!
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 09:14:55 PM »
I don't particularly the club butt style fowlers but I do like red stain.  The gun is certainly a fine piece of work and elegant.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 10:24:41 PM »
I like!   ;D

Two questions.  1, tell about the 3 lock bolts, don't think I've ever noticed that before on a gun

2, Am I really seeing the lock panels wider at the front and tapered in width at the rear (from top or bottom view)?  How'd you pull that one off?!
3 lock bolts is an early feature. I noticed the lock panel taper too in the pictures, it's some sort of optical illusion as the lock panels are parallel in reality.

Offline David Rase

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 01:41:23 AM »
1, tell about the 3 lock bolts, don't think I've ever noticed that before on a gun
I use 3 bolts when I build a NW Trade gun.
David

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 06:53:23 AM »
Very cool Mike!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 01:09:58 AM »
Hi Mike,
I really like the gun and your work.  You have such breath and depth of knowledge about these early colonial guns and it shows in your work.  When I see your work I think of my great grandfather who was a carpenter and builder.  I have and constantly use some of his old tools.  They are my prized posessions because they are family but also because they are elegantly made.  They are tools with class and so are your guns.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 04:28:49 PM »
SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!

Centershot

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 07:02:05 PM »
Lovely work, Mike. It looks like a complete fake to me.

Great color and surface on the wood, perfect wear patterns.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline k gahagan

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 05:12:51 AM »
Mike, I saw your comments on Jims post about creativitey and historical correctness etc. and you do indeed look like your having fun which is quite evident on this build. Kind of just letting it happen and creating a fine believable gun that is both simple and elegant. I was going to add that I like the shape of your butt but decided against it.

oldone

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 07:13:22 PM »
UUUMMM!, wish I could make a fake of such quality, I wouldn't even mind doing it by mistake ! ;) ;) ;D

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 03:48:03 PM »
Nice Mike.   Would love to see it, it almost falls into the barn gun category.   Recently there has been a lot of talk about being
creative, I always felt that you had to earn your right to do it, this gun is just one example of that.  I miss seeing you, it goes
back to the days, or evenings, at Friendship when you guys would come over the bridge at Friendship.   I can remember when
you wore that big hat with the feather in it, and your black jager..............Don