Author Topic: Moody barrel  (Read 3692 times)

cahil_2

Moody barrel
« on: March 28, 2014, 04:41:15 PM »
I bought a 25 Cal Dennis Priddy rifle, and was told it has a Moody barrel.  Does anybody know anything about Moody barrels.

jamesthomas

Re: Moody barrel
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 09:58:08 PM »
 From what I can gather the name was Bill Moody and he made rifles for Oregon Barrel Co. Said to have used Forsyth rifling for a while. An article on the web dated 2011 said he walked away from barrel making and started fishing instead.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:18:57 PM by james e »

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 05:08:30 AM »
Bill Moody started Moody's Metal Works and made barrels in Seymour, MO for a few years. I used a bunch of his barrels and all of them shot well. I picked one of them up at his shop when my wife and I were driving through southern Missouri. Bill was an interesting man. We got a tour of his shop and he showed us the machines and tooling he'd made for barrel making. I called him a couple years ago to see if he'd still make a barrel and he said he'd quit that and was now happy babysitting his grandkids and fishing.
Ted K

Lord Calvin

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 03:18:54 AM »
I've had 2 Moody .25 cal barrels. Both are tack drivers. One is a straight 3 quarter inch barrel. And the other is a 3 quarter to 5 eighths inch tapered barrel. That one is my squirrel slayer. Nice and light weight. I think the barrel on the gun you have was part of the package that mr. Moody needed to justify tooling up for that job. He needed an order of at least 10 barrels so a bunch of us put in orders.
   I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I use 15 grs. of 3f, a .240 #4 buckshot, and that purty flower ticking.  Have fun.

Cal