Author Topic: Lock Markings- Added the pictures of the whole rifle  (Read 3325 times)

Offline wildcatter

Lock Markings- Added the pictures of the whole rifle
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:51:54 PM »
I am posting a picture of a lock that I am trying to decifer.  The initials are JCM maybe? I know I have seen these markings either on the forum or in the library but I can't find it.  Hoping the picture might jog some memories. Thanks Matt.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 06:14:25 AM by wildcatter »
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Lock Markings
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 10:37:32 PM »
Looks like a J Goulcher.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 11:03:33 PM »
In the later percussion era the lock markings don't usually give us much of a clue as to who stocked the gun.  Locks were seldom made by the shop that was building the guns. Golcher locks are super common and used across many states and decades.
Andover, Vermont

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 01:45:02 AM »
I get all that, it's a distinctive stamp, thought I would take shot. It's tough to photograph. It's not a Goulcher,  I have several guns with Goulcher locks. This is a block stamp with Capital Letters. I know the gun was made in Tennessee but it is unsigned. I was hoping the lock maker initials could pin down a maker particularly if the maker bought a typical lock and stamped it himself when the gun was made. I have one other gun that is this way.
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 05:42:51 AM »
Why not bring it to the Tennsessee Kentucky Rifle show this Friday-Saturday at the Museum of Appalachia? That is the best forum for getting a positive ID if it was Tennessee made.
Wayne
Wayne Elliott

Offline halfstock

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 12:24:13 AM »
That plate is very much a lehman style.

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 02:43:38 AM »
Here is the rest of the rifle. It was attributed to John Wishon when I purchased it many years ago.  But who knows, looking for help.