Author Topic: Browning Mountain Rifles  (Read 12477 times)

sloe bear

Browning Mountain Rifles
« on: April 09, 2014, 10:10:19 PM »
 just for the fun of it,I'm wondering what you all think about the Browning Mountain rifle  that Browning made for a few years? it's now out of production. I have a couple of them and have really liked the gun it hold and shoot great, I've won many a match and shoot several deer with mine. however I have never seen any one make any comment on them. This was a far better "production rifle " than Thompson and far better than CVA but those two seem to have a following. any way I thought it would be interesting to get comments on how you all feel about them. food for thought.

cahil_2

Re: Browning Mountain Rifles
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 12:01:01 AM »
I know a guy who shoots one and he loves it.  Shot the barrel out of it and replaced it with a GM barrel.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 03:04:48 AM »
I hesitated to answer your question, at first, because it took a while to think of something positive to say.  This is my impression of the
Browning rifle, for what it is worth.
It is a production rifle, and as such is worth every penny they cost.  The rifle has better heft than any of the usual production rifles, they work fairly well, and are usually as accurate as the shooter can hold it.
But they are a production rifle, and so have little in the way of the finesse that a hand made product might have.  To keep the cost at a level that is affordable to those who would purchase a production rifle, they use slack sanders in the stock finishing department, evidenced by the lack of sculptured cheek piece, and lock panels.  In a similar fashion, the inletting is 'drop-in' again needing no hands-on workers to do precise inletting.  The lock is a modern innovation, and not an improvement over the historic double leaf spring.  It works, after a fashion, but doesn't have the same feel.  Of all of the Browning's weaknesses, the lock is my pet peeve. 
I'm going to quit while I'm behind.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline drago

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 03:40:17 AM »
They are a nice looking production rifle, They cost more than the Lyman and Thompson Center so did'nt sell nearly as many. Of course anything with Browning on it costs more, yet still less than a custom rifle. I like the looks of them but would prefer a hand built rifle. I'm sure they are fine shooters.

borderdogs

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 04:09:44 AM »
I like mine I just got it a little while ago. I had a problem with the lock especially the main spring being weak but I got that fixed and it is a nice rifle. I got a lot of helpful advise from the forum on how to fix that spring. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I might this weekend. I liked them when they were in production and I still like them. They are not a hand built custom rifle but thats okay with me.
Rob

Offline EC121

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 05:24:55 AM »
I can't get past the thick butt plate.  It has about twice as much metal as it needs.
Brice Stultz

sloe bear

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 04:21:07 PM »
 I guess I had better defend the rifle a little, true it is a little "BEEFY" but functions well, i was first introduced to these rifles  back in 1976 or 77 a Browning rep heard of our RENDEZVOUS and wanted to bring a couple of these rifles for us to look at and shoot, these were pre-production models a little better than the latter full production run, I fell in love with the way it handled and the heft of it, I talked him out of one of these rifles and have loved it ever since (PRE-PRODUCTION # 13) unlucky number but its been a great rifle. this first one is a .50 cal, when the run started the rep brought me another one in .54 . I have had no problems at all with either rifle. I did purchase extra parts for the lock when I heard they were dropping the line, main spring,sear etc. and they are still in the drawer.
 I guess I'm a sucker for Browning I have  several B-78's the falling blocks and I love them as well.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 04:33:37 PM »
Back when they came out,77 or thereabouts,I couldnt afford one.Fast forward to 2008,I was making good wage and had no small younguns to raise,so I found on,a 54 on GBR,and bought it..650.00 then,gun was mint but was enjoyed by orig owner.I shot it some,as I was getting back into m/l guns.I found it to be a good gun for being production made.I now have had several Hawken custom builts,and still like the Browning,tho not as much as Mr Sam;l,the 62 Hawken.
The lock is peculiar,but oh well,I got no room to judge that'n.lol,Have a goodun,y'all.Dave :D

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 05:49:05 PM »
I hesitated to answer your question, at first, because it took a while to think of something positive to say.  This is my impression of the
Browning rifle, for what it is worth.
It is a production rifle, and as such is worth every penny they cost.  The rifle has better heft than any of the usual production rifles, they work fairly well, and are usually as accurate as the shooter can hold it.
But they are a production rifle, and so have little in the way of the finesse that a hand made product might have.  To keep the cost at a level that is affordable to those who would purchase a production rifle, they use slack sanders in the stock finishing department, evidenced by the lack of sculptured cheek piece, and lock panels.  In a similar fashion, the inletting is 'drop-in' again needing no hands-on workers to do precise inletting.  The lock is a modern innovation, and not an improvement over the historic double leaf spring.  It works, after a fashion, but doesn't have the same feel.  Of all of the Browning's weaknesses, the lock is my pet peeve. 
I'm going to quit while I'm behind.

Being something of a perfectionist in some things and having had a Browning apart I can say that its just another production gun.
However, in its defense its not breeched any more sloppily if as sloppy as many of the "custom" barrel makers breech theirs it seems.
No production gun can be properly shaped. The makers simply do not have people capable of doing this or it costs too much. A gunsmith friend up the river 10 miles or so made a "copy" of the J&S rifle in the Montana historical society for the Italians to  reproduce so that there was a real Hawken style rifle on the market. The Italians, Uberti IIRC, could not/would not do it. The shaping on the 1/2 stock J&S was too complex. This is why the TC and others look so modern. 1: Its what the average Wal-Mart customer is used to in appearance and handling and 2: Modern long guns are designed to be fit and finished by the lowest common denominator.
For example. It is possible to fit a barrel to a Remington 700 in less than two hours, ready to shoot. Its possible to buy a high quality synthetic stock that the barreled action will drop right in, ready for paint. Cerrocoat the metal and in a couple of days we have a rifle that will fly off the shelf. The SAME PEOPLE make Win. SS copies. Wood stocks really nice late 19th c SS rifles in about any caliber one might use in a SS including some wildcats. These take 2 weeks to make, cost more to make, and if priced LESS than the 700 rem will set on the rack for months perhaps.  So what does the business swing over too?  This was detailed to me by a close friend, ML shooter and collector since childhood, last month.... This is why the factory made guns look as they do. Even people HERE of all places think will whine and snivel over people wanting 3000 for a nice kentucky with bells and whistles. I suggest they look about in the MODERN custom market. A really nice 1911 custom will run 3000 to perhaps 5-6000 or more. And trust me there is far less work. Factory Colt 1911s START at 1000.
So making a ML for under a 1000  in today's "dollars" results in a great many shortcuts.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 06:35:31 PM »
Wow! a lot there Dan, and well said!!!
robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

JoeG

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 09:04:40 PM »
Dan,
what you said is very true and a sad commentary on the todays gun buying public.

Vomitus

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 10:36:54 PM »
   Seems all the production guys got troubles with flintlocks. Dan's write up is on the money.

oldarcher

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 11:49:12 PM »
A thread like this is an open invitation to get hurt feelings. If you like your Browning "Hawken" then you should happily keep shooting it and be glad to have it. At least it isn't a Thompson Center or CVA.
I try not speak badly about other folks stuff. I saw these rifles when they were first introduced and was very interested until I actually picked one up and closely examined it. The rifles that I saw were poorly assembled with very questionable inletting and poor finish. The snail is interesting but it is really not authentic anymore than a T/C is, the cheek piece is unusual to say the least. It seems that production manufactures' just cannot resist making "improvements" and when they do it destroys any credibility as to the rifle that it is being made. This really makes the rifle a thing of their own and not a credible reproduction.
Like I said, if you like it keep shooting it and enjoy.

JoeG

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 02:55:26 AM »
Anytime you ask a question about a production gun to this crowd you have to remember that we aren't the general gun buying public. We tend to be highly opinionated. I have handled a couple of these and have the same feelings about them as Old Archer. I do think that you could rework one into a better looking rifle with a little reshaping and refinishing.

I recall an article about them in the " Buckskin Report" when they first came out.
It also had pictures of a couple of Muzzle loaders that Browning actually built, but they didn't  look much like the new product.

I've always  liked the single set trigger design on the Browning Mt. Rifle.

borderdogs

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 03:48:16 AM »
When I got mine I got it because I liked it and wanted to shoot it not because it was a "reproduction". I ordered a custom Hawken from WB Selb because I want a close reproduction of a Hawken rifle. Two different reasons to having both rifles.
Rob
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:50:32 AM by borderdogs »