Author Topic: Anyone Know a Rifle Maker with Initials "FD"?  (Read 3526 times)

Offline SR James

Anyone Know a Rifle Maker with Initials "FD"?
« on: April 10, 2014, 11:00:49 PM »
I recently acquired a nicely made southern-style rifle with the initials FD inside a box, stamped on the left oblique flat at the breech.  The underside of the barrel is similarly stamped at the barrel plug interface with the F on the barrel and the D on the bottom of the breech plug bolster.  There are no other markings anywhere on the gun.
The rifle is very nicely put together, good quality work, well inletted and nice architecture.  It has a .45 cal., 42" straight barrel, 7/8" across the flats.  No butt plate but has bone heel and toe plates.  The lock is a Davis Late Ketland.
The man I bought it from is from Ohio and he purchased the rifle there but does not know anything more about it.
Just wondering if anyone recognizes it or knows of a maker using the FD stamp?

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:40:43 AM by SR James »

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: Anyone Know a Rifle Maker with Initials "FD"?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 02:44:25 AM »
Can't help you SR, but I do like the gun! It has a nice look about it.
robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 06:32:52 PM »
That's a nice looking rifle. I have a sweet spot for southern mountain rifles. I'll have to see if I can figure out who the FD is.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:40:41 PM by Kopfjaeger »
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 08:20:22 PM »
Douglas barrel company had a man,Fred DePoy that was capable of making this rifle.
Does it have a Douglas barrel? Whoever made it did a nice job.

Bob Roller

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 08:53:41 PM »
I could have assembled it in the mid 80's. I sold an in the white gun very similar to this. I wouldn't have put my name on it if I sold it in the white. I can't remember who the buyer was though. Sold it at a rondyvoo. It had a Davis lock, Davis set triggers, bone like this one and a GM bbl. I got a good memory it's just short. :/