Author Topic: A longrifle by Jonathan Wood.  (Read 2732 times)

Offline JTR

• member 2
A longrifle by Jonathan Wood.
« on: April 10, 2014, 11:15:10 PM »
I'm posting these pictures for a member here.
He'll answer any questions, and here's what he has to say about this rifle;

Jonathan Wood of Brantford Upper Canada [ the name of Ontario prior to 1842]. It has a nice patch box and curly maple stock. Wood is first listed here in 1833 and by 1835 was gone.  I wonder if he was from the US and returned there by 1935? Perhaps someone here knows of him.
Best regards, Don

John Robbins

Offline Majorjoel

Re: A longrifle by Jonathan Wood.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 02:27:52 AM »
A beautiful rifle in fabulous condition! It has traits out of western PA and Ohio. I once owned a rifle that was unsigned but was told by the fellow I bought it from that it came from Ontario. It had a similar type of patchbox in german silver and the side plate holding the percussion lock was quite unique. I will have to look through a bunch of old storage discs and see if I can dig up a picture. Would it be possible to see a photo of your rifle's side plate?  Thank you Don & John for showing us this fine rifle. 
Joel Hall

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 03:37:18 AM »
Nice Rifle, I find it very interesting you find him in Canada for what, two years. The patchbox looks very McCammant-ish , makes you wonder where he originated and where he ended up.  Hopefully someone will chime in with some more info. Great Rifle thanks for sharing!!
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

dmb1953

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 11:35:50 PM »
He is first recorded here in 1833 as having erected a two story rifle factory on a lot he had traded for in Brantford.  So he may have been here much earlier as I have an earlier rifle stamped J.Wood with no & Co. that was originally in flint.  I am now in the process of having it re-converted back to flint as original. don