Author Topic: Making a Chime tool for cups  (Read 3041 times)

ed1215

Making a Chime tool for cups
« on: April 11, 2014, 03:20:16 AM »
Ok tried of people getting on my case about this  :)) ( just kidding) .. here are pictures of the chime tool that you will need to do cups and containers with a horn bottom.... Now I made mine like Erv Tschanz, Master Horner   ... He made his out of practice fencing foil and so did I . ordered one for around 12.00 from a fencing store on line you can get a lot of tools out of one .. I just broke off around a six inch piece and using a grinder I made a 60 degree point on it with a slight undercut ( 30 degrees each side ).. If you want o make sure you have the right angle take a triangle file and file into a piece of brass or soft metal that will give you a guide .. Then after I have the right angle I then heat down from the tip about 1/2" and bend it now this is important as you are looking at the tool in a vise you want the undercut away from you just the flat back towards you I like to have it sticking straight up .. then I bend a 90 degree to the left right at the tip ( I use a pair of lineman pliers) the I heat everything red hot then quench it in oil  That's it .. this is how Erv told me and it works great if it dulls all I use is a file to re work the edge

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Making a Chime tool for cups
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 04:14:53 PM »
 Thanks Ed, nice tutorial, this is an educational site and that's exactly what we need here. If you've got any more please post them, I know it can be some work. We will move this one to the Tutorial section in a week or so.

Tim C. 

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 10:05:37 PM »
Ed, or any horner who has experience "chiming" (is that the right term?) a horn cup.  I have 2 questions, once the groove is made and you determine the diameter of the bottom of the cup, how do you hold the flat horn to turn the bottom?  My second question, do you pop the cup bottom in from the underside or do you slide it down from the top?  I am just about ready to start this adventure so a bit of advice would be appreciated.
David
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 10:06:37 PM by David Rase »

ed1215

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 01:29:44 AM »
I use epoxy to a piece of scrap  and turn the base once done I always pop the bottom in from the bottom of the cup goingto be making some tomorrow will be taking lots of pictures and tell how its done or at least the way I do it

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 04:23:18 AM »
I use epoxy to a piece of scrap  and turn the base once done I always pop the bottom in from the bottom of the cup goingto be making some tomorrow will be taking lots of pictures and tell how its done or at least the way I do it
Sounds good Ed.  I will be watching for your posts.
David

gizamo

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 11:04:57 PM »
Be very interested in this...