Author Topic: Shooting the Fusil de chasse...  (Read 8698 times)

captpete

Shooting the Fusil de chasse...
« on: April 11, 2014, 04:13:54 AM »
I'm looking at perhaps acquiring a fusil de chasse.  However. It appears as though the stock contour would snap you in the face every time you pulled the trigger.  Are my concerns warranted? 

Thanks all

-- Peter

Offline Habu

Re: Shooting the Fusil de chasse...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 04:29:56 AM »
That was my experience, but others have said the opposite.  I'd try to shoot one before committing to a purchase. 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 07:44:17 AM »
Unless the fusil is built by someone who is a shooter too, it'll be a cheek slapper most likely.  The first one I built was a parts collection I bought from a local dealer.  I had to radically cut down the comb and thin it out from both sides before it was fun to shoot, but the difference was profound.

Since then, I have done the procedure on several like guns, and even used hot oil to bend a stock down to create more clearance at the comb.  These guns now are also fun to shoot.

There's one put out by Davis - has a 48" bbl - that looks like it might be a good design.  I have a great book on the Tulle musket, and from the photos of many originals, I don't see why Centre mark, and TOW chose guns that had such a high comb...not necessary to be authentic.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

captpete

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 09:34:31 PM »
The one that has stood out to me was the R. E. Davis model... It doesn't seem to have as "bad" of a comb as others I've seen.  It also appears as though someone building the kit has the ability to do some judicious re-contouring if required.  The kit also seem (from the picture) that someone has taken the time to do a good job of in letting the stock too.

My original intent was to build an early Virginia style of smooth bore.  But I came across.the Davis kit and was blown away by the slick picture on their website. 

Please let me know your thoughts.

-- Peter

cahil_2

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:46:54 PM »
I had one and it beat me up every time I shot it.  Finally sold it.

Vomitus

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 01:35:25 AM »
  The angle of the butt is the killer for cheek slapping. The butt plate jumps up with the recoil and it slaps the cheek. I don't like that part of the design.

captpete

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 03:19:52 AM »
Mr Sapergia, what would be the name of the book you're referring to when you mention ed you had an excellent reference on fusil' s? 

- Peter

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 03:49:34 AM »
The book is called:  "The Fusil de Tulle In New France 1691 - 1741" by Russel Bouchard.  It is from the Historical Arms Series - No. 36.  I think I got my copy from TOW, in September 2006.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Longknife

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 05:23:42 PM »
Here is another one if you want to study French guns....

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/278/1/BOOK-FTGNA
Ed Hamberg

captpete

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 07:40:19 AM »
I'm just curious e Pugh to order both books...  Back to my original question though... Are there any French stock designs that have less tendency to whack you in the side of the face?

-- Peter

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 01:41:53 PM »
I believe it to be an individual problem. I've had a Centermark Tulle for quite a number of years and it is comfortable to shoot. I do not experience any "face slappping " with it.

Centershot

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 02:00:45 PM »
An individual's bodily make-up has an effect. None are alike but many are similar. For certain there are stock dimensions that work best for the majority of the "average" population as well as those that can put a beating on the majority of the "average" population. Add that with the various ways people mount and hold a gun (both correctly as well as incorrectly) and this is is where blanket statements about certain types of guns being cheek slappers come from. Then there are just some stocks that seem to come from another universe  ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:22:07 PM by James Rogers »

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 07:04:34 PM »
...in this case, France!
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 07:11:34 PM »
Leatherbelly's observation is likely the part that makes all the difference.  The French trade muskets have an exaggerated pitch...the buttplate slopes in the wrong direction.  Consequently, when you fire the piece, the stock wants to climb upward away from the shoulder, and the comb slams hard into your cheek.  This aspect of the stock design has been exaggerated in the reproductions of the muskets, and hence, the reputation.  The muskets illustrated in the reference material have this feature to some degree, but there are also examples that do not possess the exaggerated pitch.  In the stock design, the drop at the comb and at the heel is quite acceptable...it's that pitch that get you.  It is also my observation that Centremark for one, makes their muskets with a 14 1/2" lop, and this may be an attempt to get your face further away from that comb.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 11:09:49 PM »
I had a Centermark fusil de chase for quite a few years. It was very comfortable to shoot with either ball or shot with 75-85 grains of Goex FF.  I wish I would have kept it.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 11:26:12 PM »
I have a TOW Fusil De Chase and have no problems at all when shooting. I use 85 grains of Goex FF.
It's a fun gun to shoot.
iloco

Online WKevinD

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 11:54:43 PM »
I have a Centermark that I slimmed a bit and used it as part of my wedding festivities. We had over 40 guests shoot at a shutzen target, 75gr fff .590 patched ball (loaded by a range officer & supervised by a safety officer) Some of the shooters had never held let alone fired a flint. End result lots of fun no complaints or face bumps.
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson