Author Topic: canoe gun  (Read 12266 times)

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Re: canoe gun
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 05:08:53 AM »
OK, so you've shot a Canoe, does anyone have instruction on how to clean and cook it?  Any good recipes out there?  Is there an early or late season, and what's the bag limit? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Kermit

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 05:24:20 AM »
No good recipes for aluminum and Kevlar. Tough, no matter how long you cook 'em.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline whitebear

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 05:57:14 AM »
OK everyone thanks for the information.  I recently got a 24 gauge tapered round barrel 26" long and thought that I might make a c#### gun out of it but I think instead I will just make a flintlock 24 gauge with a 26" barrel that happens to be the cats meow for loading in a c####.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2014, 07:39:27 AM »
Just make a canoe gun--that barrel will work very nicely. I don't have a canoe, but these short fusils make a great camp gun or hiking companion. Add a period sling and they make a great hiking companion. The one that I used had a shorter length of pull, too, but I didn't  find that to be a problem. And it was very handy....
                                                      Dan

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 02:34:41 PM »
This type of muzzle loader sounds like an 18th century sawed off shotgun.If someone makes a "canoe"gun will they have to buy a canoe?
We had a bit of criminality here last night.I got a call from an alarm monitoring service that said my friend Larry Vaden's antique shop alarm was going off so being close by,I drove over and sure enough,an attempt had been made to break in but the only thing the low life did was damage the dead bolt lock so a key can't open it.
Then my wife called me and said our motion detector in my shop was screaming so I went back home and once again,the pond scum had actually got the lock off the door but probably noticed the red light of the detectors sensor was blinking and got out before getting a load of 00 buckshot for his trouble.Nothing seems to be missing from my shop so I will repair the damage and maybe get in a little shop time today.
Isn't the pond scum,low life drug addicted culture wonderful? The night shift cops would have little to do if it wasn't for them.

Bob Roller

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2014, 02:54:27 PM »
How handy would a "Canoe Gun" be in Kansas?
$#*!, you would be hard pressed to even find a canoe there.
Guess we could call them "Snub Nosed" rifles.
There now that term has been around for a long time! "Snub Nosed"
Sit on that for a while!
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2014, 03:23:45 PM »
I guess I just don't understand......  ???
If you are not concerned with the historical aspect, then why fool around with a flint lock at all?
If you want a gun that is short and easy to load get a Stevens double barrel and saw it off.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2014, 04:42:01 PM »
I'll stick with my bow mounted swivel gun  ;D  A true "canoe " gun.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2014, 07:25:39 PM »
Hi,
I have it from the best authority, a friend who heard it from another friend's dad that the short rifles carried by Lewis and Clark were actually "canoe guns" made from the burst barrels of model 1803 prototypes.  The rifles used the buttplates and patchboxes from older contract rifles.  ;)

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."