Author Topic: Sites  (Read 5389 times)

brooktrout

Sites
« on: April 17, 2014, 03:37:35 PM »
I am very new to the hobby of collecting and my information base is rather limited.  I have recently encountered a rifle which carries the name "Sites" on the top of the barrel.  I saw it a few days ago and I think it was "printed" on, not in script as if it was a signature.  I also came upon a brief article and very old drawing which mentioned Sites. (This material was in the possession of the gun owner)  The claim was that he was a Fincastle, Va maker from about 1805 to 1835 and then moved "west".  The drawing was of a "Sites" styled patch box.  It was rather large and had what appeared to be a dogwood blossom at the front/top end.  The rifle was in very bad condition.  My assessment is that the barrel was not original to the stock, yet both had evidence of being made by Sites.  Wrist broken and repaired (poorly done).  Probably originally flint but converted to cap (also poorly done).  Probably a 50 cal.  BBL length of 38 inches but muzzle end looked uncut and wood length looked proper included a brass cap.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the gun or Sites or might be able to point me in the proper direction?  I doo have some photos but this is my first post and I am not yet familiar with how one accomplished putting a photo in the message.  Thanks!

Offline louieparker

Re: Sites
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 04:08:30 PM »
Sites worked around Arrow Rock Missouri. The guns I have seen by him have been very plain. His earlier Va. guns may have been more ornate. Don't recall ever seeing one. Louie

brooktrout

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 04:27:11 PM »
Thanks!  I did run upon one source which connected Sites with Mo. Guess I need to figure out how to add images.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 04:46:06 PM »
Do you have Whisker's " Gunsmiths of Virginia" he has 5 makers named Sites. Also several Pictures of Sites rifles.

http://www.amazon.com/Gunsmiths-Virginia-James-B-Whisker/dp/B0006OY3W6

Missouri Book.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gunsmiths-of-Missouri-by-James-Whisker-/151280709867?

brooktrout

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 04:50:24 PM »
I have almost no resources.  But that ebay auction ends in 6 days and hopefly a few days there after all that will change!  THANKS.

brooktrout

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 08:21:27 PM »
After some help from another member, I see that one must be connected to a photo hosting site to be able to post photos and I am not so "connected" at this time.  I however will be very happy to send them to anyone who may wish to see the rifle.  Currently, I do not own it and was told by the owner that it was not for sale but more recently I was given a door to potentially buying it.  She wants and offer, I prefer she gives me a price.  Any guidance would be appreciated.  I will be getting the Whisker book, on VA gunsmiths soon hopefully so that may also help in identification.  Many thanks to all who responded so far.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 09:00:27 PM »
If you email the pictures to me, I'll post them here for you.
John

jtrrobbins@msn.com
John Robbins

brooktrout

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 09:24:16 PM »
John:  Thank you very much.  I have also gotten two others who said they would do the same and I have sent them all the photos I have.  I trust they will post them in the near future.  It is beginning to look more like a rifle I am going to want to try to get base on some of the direct comments that have come through to me.  Certainly something exciting !!

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 11:39:49 PM »
If you are going to buy a Missouri book on gunsmiths I would recommend Vic Paul's book. " Missouri Gunsmiths to 1900 " by Victor A. Paul. It is hard cover with a little over twohundred pages. It has pictures of a couple of rifles by Sites as well as pictures of the barrel stamps.
JIM

brooktrout

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 05:49:00 AM »
Well, it has been a very interesting day.  Begin with a puzzle, information added, get a little excited, locate a good number of resources, then get really excited.  "Won't ever sell it"  became "I'll sell to you"  which then became "NOT FOR SALE".  And thus I go to bed disappointed but better informed (but it still don't feel good).

Thanks to EVERYONE for the info, references, suggestions and advice.  To those who offered to post the photo thanks again but right now I think I have all the information I need and honestly do not see any reason to post photos.  If they do get posted however, that OK. 

What a great resource and great bunch of folks.  THANKS AGAIN TO ALL

Al

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 03:35:53 PM »
As I was following another ALR thread, I came across this Sites rifle on Tim Hodges' site, apparently sold last October:

http://www.aspenshadeltd.com/inventory_sites.html

Larry Luck

brooktrout

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 05:10:57 AM »
After visiting my local expert today he concluded this "Sites" gun was made by George Sites of Rockingham county Va.  Thanks to Larry Luck for the link above.  When the signature (block printed) was examined under high magnification we noted the letter "G" (George was not fully spelled out) preceded the name SITES, thus the conclusion was drawn.  One odd characteristic is that the barrel length of the gun is exactly 38 inches.  First thought was it had been shortened but after careful reevaluation we establish that was not the case.  The overall length of the gun is 53.25 inches, LoP of 14 inches and a 43 caliber.  Tapered hex barrel.  Beyond the signature the patch box is an almost identical match to on reflected in a reference book the "expert" has.  Initial thought was the gun was made by John Sites of Fincastle, Va.
We also visited a local country gun store which has a rifle made by Howard Sites.  Not similar in most any fashion to that gun.  Several makers of this name lived and worked around the area today of Botetourt, Rockbridge, Allegheny and Rockingham counties.

Sat down with the owner of the gun later today and gave her the scoop.  100% straight and as correct with her as we could be in all regards.  The "will sell / won't sell" now seems to be firmly "will sell".  So firm that she emailed me a few hours ago and named her price.  So, unless there is another change of heart, the gun will be over my frontier room mantel by noon tomorrow.
"Speak to me old gun.  Tell me your tales of joy and sorrow." 

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 05:22:55 AM »
Congratulations  I hope you enjoy it. Always nice to have something new to research.
JIM

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 05:26:56 AM »
Well done.
Hurricane

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 10:51:41 PM »
Well done indeed. Please post pictures and let us share in your happiness.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"