Author Topic: Caswell match grade target rifle  (Read 2302 times)

vacaswell

Caswell match grade target rifle
« on: April 18, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »
I have recently come into possession of an old muzzleloader rifle that I am trying to learn more about.  I will probably be selling this rifle, so any estimates of its value would be helpful.  The gun is a match grade target rifle.  A local gunsmith looked at it for me and thinks it is around .45 cal. (could be .44)  The gun is complete and in very good condition.  What I have been able to find out so far is that it was made by HA and EE Caswell from Lansingburgh, NY, (this is stamped on top of the barrel and on a side plate.  JM Caswell was a known gunsmith in Lansingburgh who ended production in 1837.  HA and EE were either a son, and a nephew, or both nephews of JM Caswell and continued the business after 1837.   I suspect that this gun was made between 1837 and 1850.  Any additional information that you could provide would be appreciated.

I have a number of good photos of this rifle, but don't seem to be able to attach them to this message.  Email me at rhnew@aol.com and I will be happy to send them to you.

Thanks in advance for your interest and replies.

Offline Steve Collward

Re: Caswell match grade target rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 01:05:57 AM »
In the NYS Firearms Trade, Vol. 1 (Swinney & Rowe), there is an entry of H.A & E.E. Caswell (Hiram A. & Eli E.)/Lansinburgh/1859.
It is noted that they were brothers, and were sons of Solomon Caswell, and are listed in an 1859 NYS directory.