Author Topic: Price of Caps  (Read 24603 times)

Bible Totin Gun Slinger

Price of Caps
« on: April 22, 2014, 11:05:36 PM »
Please excuse language,,,,,,,but I got CCI #11can with $.99, last year I was all upset when I paid $2.99,,,,,,now it's hard to find them under $5.00.
In fact $4.99/100 Plus one arm and one leg for shipping.

Time to get a flint lock.

jamesthomas

Re: Price of Caps
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 02:04:12 AM »
Please excuse language,,,,,,,but I got CCI #11can with $.99, last year I was all upset when I paid $2.99,,,,,,now it's hard to find them under $5.00.

That is if you can find them. The gun store I visit had them at $7.99 a 100 last time they had some in. But I'm a flintlock guy all the way, never was into those newfangled things.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 02:13:31 AM »
Caps are just a fad; they'll never last.

borderdogs

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 03:37:25 AM »
I purchase 1000 a few weeks ago for 49.99 from a local gun store. When I saw they had two boxes of 1000 I considered buying both but let it go at one box. When I asked the guy for the box he pulled out one tin and I said I wanted to whole box. He looked over at the manager and he nodded the okay. When I was leaving the store the manager leaned over the counter and said quitely "smart move". ..................I should have gone back and bought the other box!!!

Rob
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:38:28 AM by borderdogs »

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 04:33:47 AM »
I bought 3 rolls last year for some of the guys.  $39/roll including taxes.  Won 8 tins in March and I mostly shoot flinters.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 04:04:03 PM »

You wouldn't be the first to switch to the good old reliable flintlock.  I've been in the process of converting most of my cap locks to flint, simply because I'm not about to put the equivalent of a nickle to a dime on a nipple every time I want to take a shot.  Sure, there are some of my rifles I won't convert as they are for a specific purpose shooting match, but my "fun guns" as I call them that I use for our local fun matches -  the flintlock works fine.  And they work fine for hunting also, just as they have since their beginning. :)
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

borderdogs

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 04:37:28 PM »
I like flintlocks but I like percussion rifles too. I found a stash of tins I purchased back in the 80's that I forgot I had that had a price on the tin of $0.99 I have three of those. I even found a tin of RWS Musket caps that had a price of $1.29.........

Rob

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:11:21 PM »
I like flintlocks but I like percussion rifles too. I found a stash of tins I purchased back in the 80's that I forgot I had that had a price on the tin of $0.99 I have three of those. I even found a tin of RWS Musket caps that had a price of $1.29.........

Rob

I was about out of #11, #10 and musket caps and do have a small hoard left; these from the late 1960s and early 1970s.  I did buy a box of 1000 a few years ago so I will have the new box when my old stash is used up.  You are the envy, now, of all the cap guys.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline ohidan

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 03:03:19 AM »
Just bought two tins of 100 at local gun store last week for $8.99 each.
 getting hard to find here in Ohio.
ohidan

galamb

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 03:55:35 AM »
Yes, $8.99/100 is the "going rate" in my piece of Ontario.

Some of you guys are just "spoiled" when it comes to prices.

p.s. - I also have to drive 3 hours, one way, to pay $30/lb for Goex FFF.

Bible Totin Gun Slinger

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 05:38:36 AM »
Yes, $8.99/100 is the "going rate" in my piece of Ontario.

Some of you guys are just "spoiled" when it comes to prices.

p.s. - I also have to drive 3 hours, one way, to pay $30/lb for Goex FFF.

I have to drive 90 miles and pay $15/LB or $350/case  in Wyoming
The shipping on anything so called explosive is ridiculous.

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 03:07:23 PM »
Our shooting sports has been getting price gouged for the last couple of years, and I'm talking all aspects of the shooting sports, not just muzzle loading.  Shortages of most all shooting related loading components and fixed ammunition has become ridiculous.  I call this time in history, the paranoid times do to the, hoarders, survivalist pepper's, ammo scalpers / gougers, and who knows what else?

Now if there is one possible bright spot in all this, it may very well be that all those that were sold on how great those "modern in-line muzzle loaders" are/were,,, well, without being able to get that, rifle or pistol primer, or 209 primer, or a cap, to set off their fake powder,,, they may very well understand the value of a traditional flintlock if they want to continue their hunting and/or recreational muzzle loading shooting? 

Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 03:27:51 PM »
Yes the prices are going up on every thing. Sure hope it does't drive some to stealing.

Ray-Vigo

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 04:51:48 AM »
Bought a sleeve of 1000 two years ago at the NSSA Nationals. I thought at the time it was overkill, but it turned out to be a pretty good move since I haven't had to buy caps for almost 2 years now. I shoot them in my 1851 Navy Colt and the better half uses them in her squirrel rifle. My rifles are flinters. What was overkill in 2011 or 2012 in terms of buying up something would have turned out to be "normal" today.

Offline ohidan

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 04:30:26 PM »
Made a trip to muzzleloader supply shop in W.Virginia Sat. paid $9.95 a tin for RWS
caps the owner says that is the only ones he can find , paid $21.95 for 1lb of 2f Goex powder which seems to be on the rise like every thing else.
ohidan

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 04:45:55 PM »
A very long time ago, I got a kit  that lets me convert alum. beer cans and rolls of "caps"  [ kid's cap guns]  into caps for my percussion rifle.  They work.  I still have a stash of CCI caps  from when I shot my under hammer target rifle a lot, so considering that I mainly shoot flintlocks today, I'm OK for my life time .  I think the cap making kit came from Dixie G.W.
Might want to check if it's still available.

ed1215

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 07:49:44 AM »

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »
That's the one !    Thanks for finding the info and posting.

Offline ohidan

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 03:58:49 PM »
here found this
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/842064/forster-tap-o-cap-11-percusion-cap-maker
I might have to invest in one of these,but before I do I think I'll check into where you can buy rolls of caps,haven't seen them around for along time,but come to think of it I guess I haven't been in the toy section at Wal Mart for a while.
ohidan

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 04:10:57 PM »
here found this
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/842064/forster-tap-o-cap-11-percusion-cap-maker

Unfortunately, if you follow the link you'll see that Midway says it's discontinued.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline J Henry

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 07:21:37 PM »
 Recent past issue of Back Woodsman had an articale /instructions on reloading/loading caps and 22 cal/rimfire ammo.using the old strike anywhere match heads. might check that out. past three or there about,,Ill check my library and get back

JoeG

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 08:51:08 PM »
 I 'm mainly a flint shooter but I do have one cap lock rifle that I enjoy shooting.
  After reading this thread I started looking  for caps here in Salt Lake City
Nobody had any CCI but I did find Remington #11 at a Sheels  sporting goods store
$6.00 a tin

I only  paid $15.00 a pound for 3F  at the Ft. Buenaventura Easter doings
 So things aren't so bad here in the Rockies

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 09:11:06 PM »
Matchlocks anyone ?  ;D
When I was a kid, we used to drop a firecracker down the barrel of my Great Uncle's Snider, followed by a marble.
At least I'm not reduced to that level yet  :)

dagner

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 01:34:56 AM »
  my buddy just got a case  5000   Remington caps   in souther mo $306

Bible Totin Gun Slinger

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 05:01:19 AM »
I 'm mainly a flint shooter but I do have one cap lock rifle that I enjoy shooting.
  After reading this thread I started looking  for caps here in Salt Lake City
Nobody had any CCI but I did find Remington #11 at a Sheels  sporting goods store
$6.00 a tin

I only  paid $15.00 a pound for 3F  at the Ft. Buenaventura Easter doings
 So things aren't so bad here in the Rockies
I bought out Gallensons last week, I was in today and got a new mold.   I wanna go check out Scheels, the claim to have more muzzle loader stuff.
Just tooo busy. I got enough to last me for some time now.
I wanna build a flint shooter soon as $ and time permits.