Author Topic: caliber choice .32 vs .36  (Read 26827 times)

Mike R

Re: caliber choice .32 vs .36
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2014, 04:06:24 PM »
My first MLer was a .36 H&A that I loaded with a homemade conical and "too much" powder, but with the tang peep sight it was the most accurate rifle I owned.  1" grps at 100 yds from a bench.  Sold it.  ::) My current squirrel rifle is a custom scaled down Tenn style in .32.  Good accuracy and plenty of power for any small game--you know--varying the powder charge can give you .22LR to .22Mag power with reasonable accuracy.  I tend to shoot about 24 gr fffg [an empty .38 spec case full equivalent] which zings the little .310 ball out there. I would not hesitate to take larger varmints with this load, but so far have killed only squirrels with it.  Should make a fine turkey load.  Had a .40 [very accurate], but gave it to my son in Arkansas where it is a legal arm [can't hunt with a .40 in Lousyanna].  Many of the old original squirrel rifles were .38s.  Kinda have a hankering for another .36 [the largest legal size for small game here].

Hessian

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2014, 06:19:14 PM »
I used to have a cherry stocked .32 I got from Jack Garner. I traded it away. I really enjoyed that gun. You  could shoot all day with small bag of balls & a small colt pistol flask of 3f. I have a hankerin for another but I think this one will be a .36. in walnut. Of course it will be a flinter. Reason being, here in Tn, one can use a .36 to hunt most anything that walks or crawls in the state. I spoke with a barrel maker,(can't remember his name) at Friendship last year who was making up some slow twist barrels (1/66) in 36 & he said he was getting over 2000 fps out of a 40 gr load of 3f with excellent accuracy! That would give me over 170 shots per pound! I think I'll be looking him up this spring.
Hessian

jamesthomas

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2014, 07:58:04 PM »
 Hessian that sounds like a good barrel. My brother has a .36 cal. and I have trouble loading it even at the range, can't imagine being out in the woods hunting with it, I can't get around how ya'll folks that use a .32 do it. Now I know a loading block comes in handy, but let me get something straight, in using a loading block and a short starter, How long is that first "knob" on the short starter? I figure you would need at least 1 to 1 1/2 inches or so to get past the wood and past the crown? A couple of pictures of some set-ups would be nice to help me use one with my .40 cal. and might help some other folks also. Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 04:29:09 AM by james e »

Offline Kermit

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2014, 04:51:42 AM »
If I understand your question, skip using the button on your short pusher. That's for getting a ball into the bore enough to get a purchase on it, then push it a few inches into the muzzle and follow up to finish with your range/ramrod.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Daryl

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2014, 08:01:46 PM »
When I used a loading block, I used the long shaft of the starter to push the ball against the muzzle- holding it there with pressure, let go of the block, and smack the starter's knob with my palm- in goes the ball and the block is captured on the starter's shaft. The shaft on my .32's short starter is 6" long. I like the patched ball to be well inside the bore before pushing it down with the rifle's 5/16" rod.
The stud on the starter's knob is only for starting a patched ball into the bore, before using the long shaft to run it down that 5" to 6".
My .32 is not shooting a bit better (last time I targeted it) with a .319" mould that casts .320" X .320. I use the 8 ounce denim with that ball, measuring .020" compressed.
The .311" ball and patch prefers 35gr. 3f GOEX and the .32" ball prefers 40gr. 3F GOEX. All shooting at 50yards, rest.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V