Author Topic: masterpieces of american longrifles  (Read 4481 times)

Offline George Sutton

masterpieces of american longrifles
« on: April 23, 2014, 10:34:26 PM »
Gentlemen, from May 24th through September 1st, 2014 the Reading Public Museum will have on display the Kindig Family Collection of American Longrifles. More than sixty longrifles will be on display.   readingpublicmuseum.org

Centershot

**more information found here http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=30107.0 added by Dennis**
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:39:19 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline eastwind

Re: masterpieces of american longrifles
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 08:00:59 PM »
Least I forget:

The catalog/book for MASTERPIECES OF THE AMERICAN LONGRIFLE - The Joe Kindig, Jr. Collection written by Joe Kindig III and I will be available for sale May 24th. at the Reading Public Museum Exhibit and through Eastwind Publishing, 4302 Baildon Road, Trappe, MD 21673. By mail from Eastwind - the cost is $70.00 + $5.00 shipping (Media Mail).

The book is 160+ pages---62 long rifles - all in color, with many not seen before. Never before told is an opening Chapter on Joe Kindig, Jr., including childhood photos, the old gun room, various high end antiques/arms now in museums, contemporary associates such as Israel Sack, Henry Kauffman and Sam Dyke... and even one photo without his legendary beard.

Hope you all can get to the exhibit before closing in September.

If you want an order blank for the book just email me at eastwind@wildblue. net

Patrick Hornberger
Eastwind Publishing
410-476-4445
eastwind@wildblue.net
Patrick Hornberger

galamb

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 03:15:08 AM »
And only about 1/2 drive from Dixons?

Two reasons to head to Pennsylvania in July  ;D

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 12:10:53 AM »
A picture of a rifle's patchbox was presented over on the blogspot that has me curious as to who made the rifle?  It is listed with the Kindig display.  http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2014/04/masterpieces-of-american-longrifles.html     A very interesting and unusual patchbox that makes me want to see the rest of this rifle.
Joel Hall

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 01:47:56 AM »
It appears to be a George Shroyer patchbox. He employed a wide range opf designs and styles in his work. Same is true of his carving.
Dick

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 03:03:26 PM »
Thank you Dick for your input on this rifle! Shroyer sure was a great artist and craftsman! The work on this piece compares highly with the best of anything coming out of Europe. The cameo figure reminds me of Euro styles from late 17th\early 18th century. But the rest of the PB with the visible carving is pure golden age American.  Looks like another book that I just have to buy!
Joel Hall