Author Topic: Possibles  (Read 6767 times)

Bible Totin Gun Slinger

Possibles
« on: April 24, 2014, 05:11:05 PM »
Do you all carry a designated Patch Knife,,,,?

I have a little Russel Patch Knife I made with rawhide handle, it seems to be a little neater than my 8lb survival knife,,(Not really 8)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 07:15:20 PM by Bible Totin Gun Slinger »

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
Re: Possibles
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 05:53:05 PM »
I carry a small folding knife in my pocket, and a french trade knife (Wick Ellerbe). Sometimes I just carry the folder.
My patches are precut and stuffed in my bag.

K
Galations 2:20

omark

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 06:24:47 PM »
most of my bags have a sheath built in for my patch, small game, finger nail trimming, paring knife.   :D    mark

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:15:13 PM »
I have a patch knife I carry when I'm in a rondy camp, but I seldom ever use it as I punch out my ticking patches and carry loaded bullet blocks with me, so in reality I really don't need it, but I have it if I ever do.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

sloe bear

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 10:02:39 PM »
i have always carried a patch knife on my possibles, at rendezvous I generally use pillow ticking UN punched I don't know why just started doing it many years ago and still do. on a hunt the small patch knife is used for birds and fish just a handy little knife to have with me

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 10:52:02 PM »
My favorite is made from a straight razor.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

ken

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 02:28:13 AM »
All of my bags have a patch knife made for them . I cut all my patches at the muzzle, both rifle and smoothbore, plus comes in handy for taking care of game I may get             ken

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 03:24:19 AM »
Patch knife always on my possibles bag.  It is multipurpose - everything from cutting patching to skinning elk.  Latest one is a small trade knife from LRB.  When I am in the woods I like to have a fixed blade instantly available and attaching one to the bag is a good method. 

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 06:06:35 PM »

Me too. I only cut at the muzzle on largest calibers and use "bullet blocks" on the smaller pea shooters, .40 and smaller.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 07:54:20 PM »
No.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Artificer

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 08:04:24 PM »
In the mid 70's, I picked up a THIN Indian Ridge Traders Knife Blank where the 3 to 4 inch long rectangular "blade" had been hardened and annealed, but absolutely nothing done to shape it like a knife.  Grandpa had given me a home made "snag" grinder and I planned on using that to grind it to shape before using files and emory cloth.  However when I got it home, I was kind of scared to grind it on both sides as the blade was so thin.  So I hollow ground it kinda deep on one side only and took a LOT of passes and dips into water to ensure I didn't get it too hot.   Man was that knife sharp and easy to sharpen and still held an edge pretty well..  I put the flat side down on the muzzle and it made short work of patching material.  Then I made the mistake of loaning it to a buddy who forgot his patch knife at one shoot and he flat refused to give it back to me.  Grin.  

I tried attaching a small knife to the strap of one shooting bag, but it often got hung up on  dense undergrowth when hunting.  So I switched to making a scabbard for it and sewing the scabbard to the back of the hunting pouch.  That worked a lot better, at least for me.

Gus

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 01:18:06 AM »
I have forged several thin patch knives that worked and sharpend great. My son, about 10 at the time thought it would be entertaining to cut copper wire with my favorite one and it took several hours of stone work to get the serations out of it.  :-X

Bible Totin Gun Slinger

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 02:41:53 PM »

I have shaved with mine,,,,,,,,,,,,

TradT

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 09:10:48 PM »
I usually carry a knife of some sort that is razor sharp but, not for patches. I use pre-cut patches and loading blocks mostly.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 02:34:35 AM »
My hunting bag strap has a sheath for a patch knife - (Tracks French styleCanoe brand).  It is a handy small, utility-type knife to have, but all my patches are pre-cut.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Bible Totin Gun Slinger

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 03:44:08 PM »
My hunting bag strap has a sheath for a patch knife - (Tracks French styleCanoe brand).  It is a handy small, utility-type knife to have, but all my patches are pre-cut.

Me too!  I designed it around what I figgered I needed at the time,,,and I still find it good.
But my knife sheath was an add on. Before that I used my really big Rambo Knife, It worked ok too.
I am looking into moving the ball starter out on the strap too.

rfd

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 01:28:49 AM »
absolutely!  it's a MUST to use a patch knife, cause it's a MUST to use patch strips!