Author Topic: JR Salvo information please...  (Read 6081 times)

Offline Skychief

JR Salvo information please...
« on: April 26, 2014, 09:40:48 PM »
I run across this gun makers name occasionally, but, have found little information about him.

Can any of you shed some light on the man and his guns?

Thanks, Skychief

Offline smylee grouch

Re: JR Salvo information please...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 03:20:10 AM »
That sounds like the man I ran into at a large mid-west rondezvous in about 1991 or so. If its the same guy, I think he has passed away but some other member of this fourm has posted about him (Salvo) many times.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 07:45:52 AM »
And some very interesting and very small caliber rifles. Don't I recall one advertised here for sale that was .17 cal.?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline EC121

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 03:36:21 PM »
An example of his work is for sale now on the Muzzleloadingforum.com.  It is a .25cal.  rifle.  Looks like a nice little rifle.  Correction:  It is no longer on the site.  Must have sold.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 07:02:54 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline sz

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 04:59:24 PM »
I believe the man you are talking about was from Florida.  Sadly he died just a few years ago.  He was a good friend of Vernon Davis who many of us know from Traders Row at Friendship.  I met him back in 95 or 96 in Riverton Wyoming when he and Vernon came for a Rendezvous there.  Nice guy, good gunsmith and good shot.
I'm sorry he's gone.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 04:32:03 AM »
Jerome Randolph Salvo was from Ridgeville, S.C. but lived the last 10 years of his life in south Ohio. He died Jan. 22, 2010 from complications of pneumonia.
FYI: Vernon Davis is no longer in the muzzleloading parts business. I visited with him a few months ago. He is remarried and doing fine. The little walnut .25 cal didn't sell. The ad expired. I have a few of his guns for sale on my web site.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:38:28 AM by Keb »

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 01:02:38 AM »
I remember seeing Mr Salvo at the SC State Muzzle Loading Matches back in the '80's. I believe he was a member of my club, The Charlestown Long Rifles of Charleston, SC.

I believe he forged all the hardware on his iron mounted rifles, and sold many a throwing tomahawk that he made. The handles had a spiral black stripe.

He and the late Frank Burton from Pawleys Island, SC were among the most well-known gunmakers in the low country of SC.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Offline Kermit

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 03:05:56 AM »
Keb, are you the one who had a Salvo .17-.18 cal flintlock for sale some while back?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 04:30:43 AM »
I have a Salvo .20 and a .25 for sale but no .17 or .18.
The .20 is ash stocked and all Salvo made.
The .25 walnut stock has Rayl rifled barrel, L&R lock & Davis double set triggers.