Author Topic: Joseph E. Sivits  (Read 5086 times)

Offline Col. Barnett

• Starting Member
Joseph E. Sivits
« on: May 02, 2014, 02:06:29 PM »
Found this obit in Rootsweb the other day and thought it may be of interest to some on this site.

Joseph E. Sivits

Joseph. E. Sivits, 62, of New Paris, died Tuesday, March 6, 1979 at, his residence, after suffering a heart attack.
He was born July 14, 1916, in Somerset County, a son of Harry A. and Elsie (Daley)Sivfts.
Surviving is his stepmother, Jennie (Layton) Sivits, of New Paris, R.D. 1; his wife, the former Nora R. Moeller, and these children; Daniel Sivits, Pansy, wife of Delmas Miller, of Schellsburg RD; Joseph E. Sivits, Jr., at home; one step-daughter Patricia, wife of Patrick Dumpert, of.R.D. 1, Bedford; three grandchildren, and one half sister, Mrs. Bertha Jane Standerfer, of R.D. 1, New Paris. He was preceded in death by a son, his father and a half-brother.
Mr. Sivits was a retired carpenter and an expert gunsmith and builder of flintlock rifles. He had been interested in guns all of his life and began by reworking military, rifles and was collector of Bedford County Rifles. He was one of the founders of the Shawnee Rangers, a member of the National Muzzie loaders Association of Friendship, Indiana; and numerous other muzzleloader clubs throughout Pennsylvania. He was also a member of the Dunnings Creek Church of the Brethren.
Funeral services: Thursday, March 8, at 11 a.m. in the Mickle-Geisel Funeral Home in Schellsburg, with Rev. John Foster officiating. Burial in Fishertown Cemetery.
Friends will be received in the funeral home today from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m.

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Joseph E. Sivits
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 06:50:31 PM »
I met Joe Sivits at Friendship in 1964. He had a Greener double barreled rifle in fine condition
and two sets of shotgun barrels plus other accessories for it. The rifle barrels were 16 bore with
9 groove round bottom rifling.I don't remember what the shot gun barrels were.
I think I have a picture of him here.

Bob Roller

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 10:36:50 PM »
There is a type in there either on the date of birth or his age at passing. Was he 90 something when he sucombed to the heart attack? 62 is young.

Welcome to the forums Rick.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

chubby

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 03:25:02 PM »
I met Mr. Sivits in1974 when i became a member of the Rangers, he was a very kind man who would help you with any problems or questions a fellow had. He was a very good builder some of his guns are still in the area today. A good man indeed!   Chubby

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 07:25:38 PM »
There is a type in there either on the date of birth or his age at passing. Was he 90 something when he sucombed to the heart attack? 62 is young.

dave

Dave,
I did a double take too, but then realized it's an old obit.  Born July 14, 1916, died March 6, 1979 = 62 years old at time of death.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 07:50:17 PM »
I wound up with the W.W.Greener SxS 16 bore rifle with the extra
shotgun barrel and accessories.I traded a Holland&Holland double .303
with hammers,built in 1898 to Dr. M.P.Graffam in Monroe County WV.
He said both barrels of the rifle would regulate at 50 yard with 90 grains
of 3fg and a patched ball but the recoil was more than he could deal with
and the ltle H&H"Deer stalker" was just the gun he wanted.
I hears later that Joe Sivits was upset about the fact That I owned the Greener
but never found out why.

Bob Roller