Author Topic: Reading Public Museum- Kindig Exhibit  (Read 17432 times)

Offline Mad Monk

Re: Reading Public Museum- Kindig Exhibit
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 05:54:21 AM »
The lighting in the museum is somewhat subdued to protect some of the items on display.  The museum has far more artifacts that it can display at any given time.  Clothing and other items that had been dyed with natural dyes are sometimes damaged if exposed to too much light.

I live not to far from the museum.  The museum once had a large pond in front where you now see only the creek.  That had to go to reduce flooding.  Extensive ponds and fountains up along the creek.  There is a bicycle and walking trail on the other side of the creek from the museum.

The idea that strong flashlights might damage the rifles would be expected among the collectors.  Many still subscribe to the idea that the stocks were colored with naturally obtained organic dyes.  Which could subject them to fading under strong lights.

Mad Monk

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 08:03:54 AM »
When Joe and Jenifer Kindig took me through their exhibit in the Reading Museum in June right before the KRA meeting in Mars, they expressed disappointment with both the lighting and the fact that the uppermost and lowermost rifles couldn't be well seen. They had no control over the display, but agreed it was very attractive. The display racks were arranged by the museum staff and in my opinion are beautiful, except for the highest and lowest positions. The lighting rules were strictly from the museum, have good reasons, and are applied much more vigorously than necessary for the preservation of the guns. The fact that the guns are not behind glass and largely study-able from all sides is most unusual and wonderful. It is a fabulous display of the cream of a magnificent collection, and the Kindigs are happy to have made it available to us.

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

BrianH

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2014, 01:24:02 AM »
does anyone know if the book is available yet I left my name with the museum and haven't heard anything yet

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2014, 01:26:34 AM »
Not available yet. I think they said December. Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2014, 06:23:53 PM »
I just received the following via email......

Hello, here is an update on the Kindig Book – the Kindig Family wishes to extend their apologies to you, as the book will not be available until Mid-January and appreciates your patience.

Thanks again for your patience and we will keep you posted.  Happy Holidays!

Sherry L. Ritchey
Gift Shop Manager
Reading Public Museum
500 Museum Road
Reading, PA  19611
(610) 371-5850 / fax (610) 371-5632
www.readingpublicmuseum.org

Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline eastwind

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2014, 09:15:23 PM »
KINDIG BOOK UPDATE:

Gentlemen: The MASTERPIECES OF THE AMERICAN LONG RIFLE (by Joe Kindig III and myself) will be available the First of February 2015. Back ordered books will be shipped first in late January.

The price is $70.00 + $5.00 Media Mail in USA.
Books can be ordered from EASTWIND PUBLISHING, 4302 Baildon Road, Trappe, MD 21673

Over 54 gunsmiths are represented in the book showing over 65 rifles---some, but not all from the original Joe Kindig, Jr. "Thoughts"  book. Also included is a chapter on the life/career of Joe Kindig Jr. with photos never seen.

It is, like all of our long rifle books,  8 1/2" x 11" landscape- 160 pages, hardbound. color throughout.

PS: The LANCASTER LONG RIFLE has been reprinted and copies are also available the end of January ... as is the BERKS COUNTY LONG RIFLES & GUNMAKERS-1750-1900--write eastwind@wildblue.net  for new prices.

Sorry for the commercial ... (and yes Dennis--you can move this email)
Patrick Hornberger
Patrick Hornberger

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2014, 06:44:37 AM »
For the first ones to receive the book,  please post a review for the rest of us.   My understanding from one of the rifle owners in the exhibit was that the book was delayed because of problems with the photos.   I don't want to pay $70 for a book full of crappy photos.