Author Topic: synthetic sperm whale oil?  (Read 10213 times)

captpete

synthetic sperm whale oil?
« on: May 11, 2014, 04:27:04 AM »
Hello the board,

I ran across a product called Lubeguard LXE that advertises itself as synthetic sperm whale oil.  Has anyone used this before? Comments?

Thanks for any insight!!

-- Peter

Offline J Henry

Re: synthetic sperm whale oil?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 04:46:08 AM »
 How can you have "synthetic" sperm whale oil???? Scratching my head!!!!

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 04:58:25 AM »
I'm going to stick with the pints of real sperm oil that I bought from Brownells 20 years ago. Although, I like using Ballistol as a substitute. Can't say which has the better "fragrance".
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 06:28:30 AM »
Automatic transmission fluid.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 07:04:14 AM »
Automatic transmission fluid.

Unless its a synthetic (like Dexron VI or Amsoil etc) all current ATF is a light petroleum oil (highly refined mineral oil) something like SAE 5 or 10with an additive package. Has been for a long time 40+ years I suspect.
Basically hydraulic oil with an aggressive detergent package to keep the clutches clean I guess.
Neither this or synthetic ATF is in any way related to Sperm Whale oil which is a liquid wax found the in the cavity in a Sperm Whale's head.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 07:06:59 AM »
How can you have "synthetic" sperm whale oil???? Scratching my head!!!!

Jojoba Oil is a liquid wax from the Jojoba plant that is very similar to Sperm Whale Oil. Or so I have read.

Dan

Online Don Steele

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 01:24:07 PM »
I've always wanted to give REAL Sperm Whale oil a try.
In an effort to be as totally H.C. as possible, I figured I needed to get me a Sperm Whale.  :-\

:o :o :o :o
Uh....Maybe Ballistol isn't so bad afterall.  ;D
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 02:28:32 PM »
Holy mackerel Andy.  :o :o ;D

captpete

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 07:17:31 PM »
If you go to www.lifeguard.com then click on the technologies tab then click on the "LEX" line you'll get to the information area so we can talk about this stuff rationally...

I recognize the advances in chemical engineering for automatic transmission fluid... believe it or not, automatic transmission fluid is what many 3 gun competitors use in their ARs to make them run right...

I also recognize jojoba as a substitute - I use it as part of my wax blend for cast bullets along with bees wax, lanolin, and other stuff...  But, seeing how as its a wax, unless I'm using it as part conical bullet - I don't recommend it's use...

Offline Habu

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 12:45:13 AM »
I also recognize jojoba as a substitute - I use it as part of my wax blend for cast bullets along with bees wax, lanolin, and other stuff...  But, seeing how as its a wax, unless I'm using it as part conical bullet - I don't recommend it's use...
Your link doesn't work--it leads to a blank page.  Try www.lubegard.com

Sperm whale oil is also a liquid wax, as is Lubeguard LXE.  From the description given by Lubegard:
LXE Technology is bio-based, and composed of the fatty acid of a high erucic acid containing seed oil esterified with an expensive and rare alcohol
I suspect that it is based on purified or refined jojoba oil.  The chemical composition of jojoba oil is very close to that of sperm whale oil.  During WWII, jojoba oil was used as a substitute in some military transmissions etc.

Offline drago

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 04:18:59 AM »
Pardon my ignorance, but was Sperm whale oil used as a patch lube?

omark

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 07:18:58 AM »
yes it was. i had some many years ago and really liked it but understand it is now illegal to have. save the whales, ya know.    also used in lamps and as lubes for other things.       mark

NAF#123

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 09:35:43 AM »
I get some of that from a NAF brother who sells it. If it is the same stuff it comes from England and is made from a whale that is legal to take, they use oil from them whales and mix it with some type of petroleum. I use it on my locks and really like the stuff.

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 03:18:14 AM »
I bought some from Dixie Gun Works about 10 or so years ago.  Smells like fish for sure.  Looks like motor oil. Might have patched a few balls with it just for the heck of it.  Probably through it way.

I asked about it on a muzzle loading forum and they said it came from synthetic whales?  LOL.

I think it is just fish flavored motor oil.  Or maybe it is Fish oil?

Bob

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 09:00:50 PM »
It has interesting properties as a patch lube since its not as slick as tallow or animal oils. Generally speaking this will reduce velocity variations. Ned Roberts and others recommended it. It does not load as easy as tallow or Neatsfoot oil though.
It was used for a great many things where a fine mechanism needed lubrication.
I would have to look it up but I think the old Sharps Rifle Company bullet lube formula was 1 part Sperm Whale Oil to two parts Beeswax. I can tell you that this make a great patch lube but the oil is too hard to obtain to use these days.

Dan