Author Topic: Gifted a rifle would like info.  (Read 10287 times)

BPnewb

Gifted a rifle would like info.
« on: May 16, 2014, 10:39:52 PM »
I was given a black powder rifle recently and know very little about it other than the caliber, twist ratio, and that it utilizes percussion caps. Here ->   http://imgur.com/z3gJvhW,uCU2Ce5,jdXMDjU,flDCKuR,ZuHkwDQ,zhzGgGx#3  is an imgur gallery that has all of the markings that I found on the rifle barrel and the lock.  If you have any idea who made it, or if it is useable I would greatly appreciate any and all information that you can give me on it.  I can provide additional pictures if necessary.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:40:45 PM by BPnewb »

Offline PPatch

Re: Gifted a rifle would like info.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 10:52:29 PM »
Welcome to ALR BPnewb;

How about some pix of the complete rifle, left and right views. Some of the buttplate, cheek piece, entry pipe area, muzzle and toe plate.

Here is a link to our tutorial section telling how to post pictures directly in you posts here. In Imgur use the link labeled "BBcode (message boards & forums)". sample:

dp

Yeah, I'm the guy on Reddit...  :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 12:29:57 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 11:39:09 PM »
So what's the hole in the bottom of the barrel?
John

John Robbins

Offline EC121

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 03:15:58 AM »
Looks like a .40 cal. H&H barrel.  Those have been out of production for a while.  The hole is chamfered.  Maybe the tang bolt goes through the patent breech to line up with the trigger plate.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 03:17:20 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

JB2

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 06:32:17 PM »
Second pic shows a bolt going up through the trigger plate, in front of the TG.  Think the hole in the bottom of the patent breech is threaded for this bolt.

BPnewb

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 06:39:33 PM »
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:40:55 PM by BPnewb »

BPnewb

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 06:42:05 PM »
Second pic shows a bolt going up through the trigger plate, in front of the TG.  Think the hole in the bottom of the patent breech is threaded for this bolt.

This is correct.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 08:40:14 PM »
We need some views of the rifle that show from in front of the lock to the buttplate each side and an overall view both sides.
Close ups are nice but its like a blind man trying to figure out an Elephant by feeling the end of its trunk.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 09:25:23 PM »
Here are his pix from the second link to imgur he provided. Interesting rifle, a bit odd but looks well made.

Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 02:34:39 PM »
 No name or anything on the barrel? It's a good looking caplock
 and whoever made it appears to have a familiarity with percussion
half stocks. Lock doesn't look like junk either.

Bob Roller

BPnewb

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 05:01:13 PM »
Absolutely no markings besides the pictures that I posted earlier in the thread.  I would ask the man who made it but as far as we know he is completely off the grid and no one knows where he may be.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 11:35:17 PM »
I was given a black powder rifle recently and know very little about it other than the caliber, twist ratio, and that it utilizes percussion caps. Here ->   http://imgur.com/z3gJvhW,uCU2Ce5,jdXMDjU,flDCKuR,ZuHkwDQ,zhzGgGx#3  is an imgur gallery that has all of the markings that I found on the rifle barrel and the lock.  If you have any idea who made it, or if it is useable I would greatly appreciate any and all information that you can give me on it.  I can provide additional pictures if necessary.

You ask if it is "useable", I really see no reason why it can not be used. first I would check to see if it is loaded.  Run an oil soaked patch down the barrel to check for rust or corrosion, mark the rod at the muzzle and then withdraw it and lay it along side the barrel to see if it goes to the breech. If its not loaded and the barrel is clean then you have a "shooter".
 The gun looks very well made but the parts used do not seem to match. The rifle resembles a late H.E. Dimmick rifle but uses a Hawken style lock and a "rare' solid patent breech. Then it is finished off with a fowler trigger guard...all nicely made but a little...uhh ...a...odd??...Maybe some left over parts that were assembled into a working rifle,,.
Ed Hamberg

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 02:32:17 PM »
Hi,
Very unusual rifle! The patch box is very well executed, tightly inletted. Also, from the looks of the wood, this is not a new rifle.
The paten breech is well done.
Like Dan says we need some overall pictures of the forestock. Your pictures are really good, but a view of the butt stock left and right, and the forestock left and right.
The crisp lines of the steel certainly shows the skills of a crafted gunmaker.
To be fair to the gun you should get a "GOOD" gunsmith to clean up the screws, and give you a good screwdriver.
Thank you for showing us this fine gun.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 05:06:13 PM »
 The little hole in the snail suggests this gun was made back when Turner Kirkland was suggesting this modification to percussion guns, to vent trapped air between the cap, and the main charge. Always remember that this can be a possible ignition source for flasks, horns, or powder cans, left too close to the shooter. Nice rifle. I'll bet it a shooter and a half.

Hungry Horse

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 11:33:18 PM »
You wouldn't want to have your nose too close to that hole when the gun is fired, kind of looking into the touch hole to see what is happening upon ignition. What a surprise that will be :o
Fred

I was wondering what that dimple was all about??
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!