Author Topic: Kentucky Rifle Foundation Auction - Jack Vye Collection - "New Photos June 22"  (Read 26529 times)

Offline HIB

Attention Collectors, Builders and Individuals interested in Americana

The Kentucky Rifle Foundation has the distinct pleasure of offering, at auction, a portion of the late Jack Vye collection of 'Kentucky' rifles Friday evening, June 27, 2014.

The Kentucky Rifle Foundation auction will be held in conjunction with the annual meeting of the Kentucky Rifle Association, June 27 - June 29 at the Four Points Sheraton Pittsburgh North, Mars, Pennsylvania.

Jack Vye often told his friends he was the champion of the 'Silver Age' of the Kentucky rifle. His collection certainly supports his claim and includes many KRA award winning category examples. The three examples below support that claim as well. The rifle is Vye collection #52, [KRA auction # 27]

There are 31 rifles in Session I of the Jack Vye collection auction. Session II will be held at a later date and location which has yet to be established.

Terms, Conditions and Disclaimers and additional photos are available on the Kentucky Rifle Foundation web page. For more information please go to :     kentuckyriflefoundation.org

Please keep in mind this is a "As Is; Where Is" auction. Enter the bidding arena accordingly.

In addition, stay tuned to this post as additional photos will be placed as they become available.           

Regards,   HIB

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:33:13 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline VP

This rifle of Jack Vye is attributed to Tobias Snyder. It is a full stock percussion rifle that has 60 silver inlays. It was also picked as the "Best Inlaid Rifle" at the 1998 meeting of the KRA. It has a 42" barrel and is listed as a .45 caliper. You can see more pictures of it on our KRF website.

VP

Offline HIB

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:33:48 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
As a newby at KRA. I was immediately drawn to Jack with his bead braided beard and last time he was there I sat and talked while he told me his very interesting life story from boyhood on the farm to present. He was one of those people you never forget for good reasons
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
I had the pleasure of knowing him well. I rode with him last year to the KRA and roomed with him. He was an interesting man and had a great knowledge of the rifle. 
Buck

Online Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
The first time I met Jack Vye was seven or eight years ago at the Ohio Longrifle Show in Marietta. Drank a beer with him in the lounge. Then  nearly every year after that talked with him and his wife at that show. This past year at the KRA Show he told me his wife had died. Then this past Ohio show I was informed of his passing. He was just a great genuine person, no pretense, no BS. Full of knowledge & willing  to share it with grace and enthusiasm. He will be remembered & missed by  all who had the good fortune to  have made his acquaintance.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 03:35:25 AM by Avlrc »

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Jack always struck me as having a generosity of spirit and he will be missed. How wonderful that his family has found a way to share his collection with the fraternity.
Wayne Elliott

Offline HIB

Another award wining Jack Vye Rifle. Number 61

Stay tuned. There are 27 more!!!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:34:21 PM by Dennis Glazener »

brooktrout

Some pretty nice looking guns from the photos.  I went to the KRF site and looked at them.  But I missed any "auction estimates" as noted above.  Was that posted or is that from an inside source available only to members.  Prices seem to be a hard thing to get a handle on.  I see offerings sometimes which look "cheap" but priced over the roof...and others that look super yet priced low.  Don't need to remind me about condition and makers I get that part but it just seems like almost no "rules" seem to apply when guns are offered..  Auctions as such would appear to be a good gauge but only after the fact.  Will post auction results be available? 

Another thought.  I would love to have any of these guns.  But don't some appear overdone? I was at an event yesterday with some long rifle fans and detected a great variety of opinions on when any given gun crosses the line from just right to "over done".  Guess it's a matter of personal taste.   

Offline Buck

brooktrout,
The guns are reasonably priced, the driving force behind the so called inflated prices is the competition to own a desirable gun. How much are you willing to spend to have the rifle in your collection?
Buck

brooktrout

Buck:  I did not mean to suggest the one gun with the auction estimate of $2000 to $3000 was overpriced (HIB's post).  Actually that seems underpriced vs some other guns I have seen and even some that are currently offered elsewhere.

But I still do not see any prices or auction estimates on the web site.  Not that it matters as I'm not a player for any of them.  But I do follow prices.  Naturally, no two guns are exactly alike but similar guns similar quality and maybe even made by the same maker don't always sell for the same money.  Simple to explain however.  Just not the right buyer with the right desire always present when a sale is happening.

Offline Buck

brooktrout,
I think you took me out of context. There are many variables that drive the price of these rifles. With that when you enter into the auction arena you have an added obstacle. Your desire for the rifle and what you will pay to get it, then you have to add in the factor of how bad the next guy wants it and the possibility he has unlimited funds. Good Luck.
Buck

Offline HIB

Gentlemen,    The response to Jack Vye has been heart warming. I knew him well also. He always had better stories than me. That's a difficult task.

I'd like to provide those of you who have an interest in this auction with some basic statistics. It doesn't matter what collecting level you are at because this auction provides everyone a chance to gain an example or two at moderate level pricing and costs. If, for instance, there is a gun you like posted on the KRF web site you can always  get more information provided the KRF has it. Just ask.

The basic numbers are as follows:

a] There were 32 guns in the auction. One has been removed by the Vye family. It has been taken off the KRF web site. There remains 31 guns.

b] Of the 31 remaining guns there are 4 'High Roller' examples. At least they are 'high roller' guns based on the status of my pocket book.

c] I have removed them from the #'s shown below.  I took the total 'Low Estimate' and divided it by the remaining 27 guns. I did the same thing for the 27 'Average Estimate' guns.

d] Average 'Low Estimate' hammer  price on 27 Vye Collection guns is $2860

e] Average 'Average Estimate' hammer price on the same guns is $3430

It is my firm opinion if you do your homework you can find a great example of Ohio and adjacent states guns at a fair market value in this auction. Read the Terms and act accordingly.

Stay tuned as the KRF will be posting more pictures.  Regards,  HIB

brooktrout

It will be very interesting to follow.  I take it that the auction estimates are available but are NOT posted on the web site.  I hope the post auction results are available somewhere after the sale. 

Offline HIB

Gentlemen, This is a very interesting rifle attributed to A. Kopp by J. Vye.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:35:08 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline HIB

Gentlemen,  Here is another classic carved Kentucky Attributed by Jack Vye to C Orwan

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:35:33 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Here is a URL for a Remarkably similar and signed "A. Kopp" that is the ALR Library. I would judge the finial and engraving to be "non-identical" twins.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=7264.0

Hurricane

• Library_mod
Unless there is  membership objection ( contact me personally) I have added the URLs to Jack Vye's Collection to the ARL Library " Hall of Recognition", thus leaving ready access to this fine collection  to all current and future student of the Kentucky Rifle.
Hurricane

• Library_mod
No pictures are displayed in the memorial thread to Jack in the ALR Library , just links  to the internet posted photos and info elsewhere on the net..
Hurricane
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 01:39:58 PM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Offline HIB

Gentlemen,  This auction includes a rifle by the famous Lancaster, Pa. gunsmith M. Fordney. It appears to be a nice example. However, close inspection is always advised when considering a gun in this category.We have been informed there is restoration but the specifics are not clear.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:39:13 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline HIB

Gentlemen, Here is a rifle attributed to D. Douglass, Huntington County, Pa. It has 41 silver inlays and fish inlays on the barrel. It is the first Jack Vye gun that will go on the auction block.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:39:55 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline HIB

Gentlemen, Rifle number 3 is an interesting original percussion rifle attributed to Henry Groff.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:40:33 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline HIB

Gentlemen, This rifle was attributed to Samuel Baum by Jack Vye. It is full stock with incised carving. The collector notes found with the rifle indicate restoration but do not specify what the restoration might be.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:41:00 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline HIB

Gentlemen,  Here is an interesting swivel breech percussion rifle attributed to J Hillegas.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:52:11 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline HIB

Gentlemen,  Here is an interesting gun attributed to a gunsmith named J. Roosa

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:53:02 PM by Dennis Glazener »