Author Topic: Mystery lockplate on composite musket  (Read 2948 times)

nickbsmith8

Mystery lockplate on composite musket
« on: May 29, 2014, 08:05:13 AM »
Hello all! I recently picked up this ca. 1816 composite musket. While it has been converetd, the most interesting thing about it is the lockplate. It appears to be much older than the rest of the gun, and is mark "Green" in seeming French-style cursive script. The interior is stamped with the initials "SB". Does anyone recognize this style of lock, or this gunmaker?
Thanks!
Nick

« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:10:19 AM by nickbsmith8 »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Mystery lockplate on composite musket
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 02:48:38 PM »
It's English, probably before 1750.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 04:30:31 PM »
Hi,
Quite a few "Green" s working in London during the 18th century.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 08:06:23 PM »
I'll change my time period because of the sear spring screw placement. Probably  after 1770.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 05:49:43 AM »
There are about a page and a half of "Green's" in Blackmore's Gunmakers of London about half of which could be your man... and that is just presuming the lock came from a London gun. It could be a provincial maker and practically nothing is known about those. There is ongoing work on specific localities... Oxford, Bristol etc... but the bulk of the provincial market remains a huge unknown, especially in the mid-18th century and earlier because they pre-date city and town directories. Without the rest of the gun, I'd say its @!*% near impossible to get much closer than the mid-18th century... England. Even with the rest of the original gun, it might be difficult to nail down a specific maker.

At least you do have a recognizable signature on the lock. Your best bet would to identify a complete gun with a near identical lock signature that can be attributed to a known maker.