Author Topic: Stair saw tutorial  (Read 5878 times)

Offline Kermit

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Stair saw tutorial
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 03:09:43 AM »
Forgive my ignorance pls...what's a stair saw?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Habu

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 06:07:07 AM »
It is a handsaw, rather like a back saw but with a wooden body rather than a metal "spine". 

The depth of cut of the blade is adjustable (within limits)via the two screws shown in the pic.  The body works well with a guide fence, in some ways better than a backsaw.  The increased contact area with the fence makes it easier to keep the saw vertical, so there is less tendency for the cut to wander. 

It was originally designed to cut dados into which stair treads, book shelves, etc could be fit.  I prefer it over a backsaw when inletting a swamped barrel via the  "Bivins method".

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 06:12:33 PM »
Thanks Habu.  Now that I see it hafted, I see it's application.  I use a piece of a rip saw blade in a homemade handle too, for making the side vertical cuts, a la Bivens, when inletting a swamped barrel.  I have mine mounted so it cuts on the pull...much more powder and control that way.  Lines scribed on the side of the blade indicate how deep I need to go.  It takes a good part of a whole shop day to inlet a swamped barrel, to get it really nice, and how else would one want it?!
Nice looking saw...
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 09:14:47 PM »
Disston sold theirs as a stair saw, cabinetmakers refered to them as dado saws, but for the purposes of this site I suppose it could be a barrel inletting saw.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West