Author Topic: question I'd like to find an answer for  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Daniel

question I'd like to find an answer for
« on: June 02, 2014, 03:36:25 AM »
Is there any existing or documentation on picking up battle field busted guns , and using
the good parts to build another of the same kind? Or out of need for parts to build a different
type of gun as in a rifle, or smoothbore?
Location would be in the Carolina's , or the Appalachians  late 18th century.

Daniel
Daniel     Ecc.4:12

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Re: question I'd like to find an answer for
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 05:57:34 AM »
Daniel, are you asking whether, during the period, parts from a gun broken in battle were reused? For example, if a stock were broken in battle would the unbroken parts be reused in a new stock?
Wayne Elliott

Offline HIB

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 06:39:28 AM »
Daniel, Understanding Wayne's question is probably correct there are numerous discussions and probably documentation to provide you a partial answer.

Specifically; during the Rev War there were several American Armories that were in place to repair old and/or broken battle weapons. Several of these Armories are documented and several are not.

Searching the term 'Committee of Safety' muskets might get you further along toward an answer as well. Generally these guns are American restocked weapons using foreign parts.

It wasn't too long ago that Williamsburg,Va. sold off 15 or 20 restocked Brown Bess muskets. Apparently the parts were still available from broken guns and the current operating Williamsburg gun shop did the restocking. Actually, it could have been done many years ago as the auction catalog only stated 'restocked'.

Early accounts of the Rev War will verify the early Continental soldiers were armed with anything their officers could find. It wasn't until the French entered the fray that our troops had somewhat suitable and consistant caliber weapons. But here again, the French weren't stupid. The American cause provided an excuse to support the effort from one point but when reviewed closely we were a dumping ground for muskets from their old storage facilities. Some were in good shape; others needed vast attention. This type info is documented.

Additionally, American gunsmiths were exempt from 'front line' duty if in fact they served their time in the Armories during the war. Their specific duty was to rebuild, repair and return the weapons to the battle lines. This info is documented as well.

Believing Wayne interpreted your question correctly you now have several places to look for further info. Please share with us what you find.  Regards,  HIB

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 07:09:28 AM »
 Thomas Neal was listed as a gun stocker for the New Acquisition Dragoons, and later worked in North Carolina refurbishing firearms for the rebel forces. He died serving his new country, as did one of his sons.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daniel

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 03:51:57 PM »
thank you for the information. I guess I needed to clarify my question. What I was wondering was , would Blacksmiths/gunsmiths
build out of need guns using parts they could find to build composite guns. I found one that sold at auction last night.
A Bess styled stock, sheet brass thimbles and side plate, 69 caliber barrel cut to 40" , a Ketland bridled lock, German trigger guard ,
And no butt plate. Should of I guess put this on the gun builder part. Found what I was searching for. I wanted proof of this salvaged composite gun . Going maybe to get one built.

Daniel
Daniel     Ecc.4:12

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 05:20:43 PM »
 A friend bought a French musket at a gun show, not knowing anything about early French muskets. Upon disassembly I came to believe this gun is just what you are talking about. All the parts are, as far as I can determine, French. But, they cover almost fifty years of production, and several armories. I now believe this gun was built from parts that were sent to the rebels from France, or from salvaged battlefield muskets. In either case they all ended up on one musket that survived.

Hungry Horse

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 06:01:45 AM »
Absolutely. Parts were salvaged from all available sources. I have in front of me a very simple unmarked rifle from upcountry SC or GA. It has a nice Charleston marked flintlock, a trade rifle guard, and no buttplate or other furniture beyond a single upper ramrod pipe and a single wide trigger. I would guess the parts on this rifle were made over a period of 50 years.
Wayne Elliott