Author Topic: Hawken rifles at Cody Firearms Museum, Cody, WY  (Read 3912 times)

Offline RonC

Hawken rifles at Cody Firearms Museum, Cody, WY
« on: June 08, 2014, 06:24:47 AM »
As a relative novice concerning longrifles (started about 2 years ago and really dug in the last year), I have been curious about statements I read on forums about how modern "Hawken" style rifles really don't replicate the originals. Some speak with some derision about production "Hawken" rifles.
So, I paid special attention at the actual J.S., Samuel, W.S. Hawken rifles that were displayed in the Cody museum. After a day-and-a-half at the museum, I was utterly exhausted, particularly after seeing the 1500 firearm collection lent by the Smithsonian!
Up for discussion are these original Hawken rifles along with one Gemmer. I have added the information labels to the pictured rifles and added more visible numbers to link the rifles to the informational placards.
There are several full stock Hawken rifles. There were no flintlocks exhibited. All seem to have 2 wedge pins whereas all production "Hawken style" files have one, except for the Traditions Great Plains rifle. As you can see, my analysis so far is quite superficial, lacking insight into length of pull, drop, etc.

If anyone wants the original, large, 4 mb photos, please contact me by email and I will be happy to send them.
Ron
Ron

sloe bear

Re: Hawken rifles at Cody Firearms Museum, Cody, WY
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 10:17:19 PM »
many many years ago, back in the 1970's I had the opportunity to do a student work shop at this museum , while there they received a partial shipment of the Winchester collection, I was able to help clean and catalog many of the weapons, this was and still is a high light in my career. I am now just a lowly volunteer at a local museum , but working with the director at that time Bob Eagers was a real deal. that was way before they remodeled and added all the wings that are now there, I still try to go back up there every couple of years, anyone planning to travel in the west this year should make this a destination...

Offline RonC

Re: Hawken rifles at Cody Firearms Museum, Cody, WY
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 12:42:03 AM »
Actually handling these historic weapons would be a glorious job!

Ron
Ron