Author Topic: Any steel mounted Sheetz rifles out there?  (Read 4028 times)

jamesthomas

Any steel mounted Sheetz rifles out there?
« on: June 11, 2014, 12:33:43 AM »
 I'm getting the parts together to have a .45 cal. Sheetz rifle made. While I don't mind brass, I noted that Muzzleloader Builder Supply also had the parts in steel. It would save me $40.00 in just the Buttplate an Trigger guard alone. Plus would a L&R Bailes Lock be better than the Durs-Egg I have right now? Thanks.

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
Re: Any steel mounted Sheetz rifles out there?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 01:07:53 AM »
http://www.aspenshadeltd.com/inventory_iron.html

Not the same as the MBS guard you're looking at, but they do exist...

jamesthomas

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 02:51:01 AM »
http://www.aspenshadeltd.com/inventory_iron.html

Not the same as the MBS guard you're looking at, but they do exist...

Thanks. That's a nice looking rifle, putting that curved buttplate on must have been a bear!. I was just re-checking my prices and the only difference between steel and brass is only $12.00 dollars instead of $40.00 ::). Also it looks like my L&R Durs-Egg will work, I'm a lefty you see.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 03:02:27 AM by james e »

kaintuck

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 02:33:15 PM »
Nice looking rifle James.....is this what your thinking?
Looks do-able....I will just have to get a cuss jar going for tomtom and me......that BP!

I like a challenge ;D
Marc

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 04:48:42 PM »
Those style buttplates are usually made out of sheet metal that is hammered into shape. Occasionialy you will find one that is a single piece, but most are two pieces that are rivited/brazed together at the heel. Forming a buttplate in that manner is not too difficult, but getting it symmetrical about a centerline (for me anyway) is just about impossible.

Most of the steel parts available today are investment cast copies of parts that were originally available in brass, so there are very few steel parts that have a proper style. If that is of no concern to you and you just prefer the look over brass, then go right ahead. It is your rifle and you are the only one you have to please.

jamesthomas

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 05:22:02 PM »
Nice looking rifle James.....is this what your thinking?
Looks do-able....I will just have to get a cuss jar going for tomtom and me......that BP!

I like a challenge ;D
Marc

Oh, no! that butt-plate looks like it would hurt you every time you shot it. I'm going with MBS butt-plate number 27576. I'll also will go with the brass since there's only  a $12.00 difference between the two. I do like the basic shape of the rifle though.

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 10:07:37 PM »
Oh, no! that butt-plate looks like it would hurt you every time you shot it.
  I doubt it. I have handled that rifle and it seems like it would be comfortable to shoot. That butt is pretty wide, doubt you would find one like it, would have to have it custom made and that would be expensive.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

kaintuck

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 04:52:26 PM »
so james......going 'rosie' and not 'paris' on the BP, ~whatever you want ;D

one day, i will spend time out at jacobs, and use his forge and anvil...and hammer me a SMR steel BP~rivit it right there as he has steel rivits too!

I look forward to your rifle!
marc