Author Topic: Homer Dangler rifle for sale on TOTW  (Read 8861 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Homer Dangler rifle for sale on TOTW
« on: June 18, 2014, 06:08:18 PM »

This rifle is claimed to be made by Homer Dangler. I find this hard to believe.
Looks like a ripp off. The carving is incredibly crude.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/487/1/AAM-912

Best regards
Rolf

Offline sqrldog

Re: Homer Dangler rifle for sale on TOTW
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 06:40:45 PM »
Rolf
The Track info with the rifle states that the rifle was sold in the white by Mr. Dangler suspect the carving is not his. Thus the relatively low price. If Mr. Dangler finished the rifle he would have signed it. I agree that carving is not up to  his standard

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 04:02:36 AM »
The barrel on this rifle, and others by Homer, started life as a 42" swamped barrel, and he had us cut the barrels to 36" which
removed the flair from the barrel.   I really hated to do it, but, that is what he wanted........Don

Horsecavalryman

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 11:46:52 PM »
Attached is Provenance E-mail received from Homer Dangler himself in response to my inquiry as to the J.P. Beck Rifle which is withdrawn from consignment sale with Track of the Wolf.

James, the description sounds like one of my rifles in the white.
To do one with a 36" barrel I just cut the front off a 42" swaped barrel which left a little swamp.
I have a star punch I have used for may years punching 8 stars on the muzzle.
I sign the unfinished ( in the white) guns with my initials  H+L+D  in script letters and those I completed I sign H+L+Dangler in script.
I also do a wavy line with small cuts before and after my signature.

I am still building and I do it mostly in my winter home at Pine Island Fl just west of Ft. Dyers.
I suggest using 50 grains of FFFG black powder at 25 and 50 yards and 75 grains at 100 yards or for deer hunting and I asure you it will shoot better than you can hold.
The gun will last your lifetime trouble free.

Enjoy the rifle,
                                                                   Homer
----Original Message-----
To: h----------@aol.com

Sent: Tue, Feb 25, 2014 2:19 am
Subject: Homer Dangler Contact: Rifle identification "In the White built"

To: Webmaster

K---------- James
s-------------@aol.com

J.P. Beck longrifle, .50 Tapered octagon 36" barrel*, Siler
flint, curly maple, brass, SST, by Homer Dangler.
with Walter Cain single set trigger. *Barrel is tapered 1" at breech
to 3/4" at muzzle the crown of which has circle of stars on it. Bought
and finished by :
J---------- FL, 34667

I purchased this rifle from him gently used i--------------------g. Could you please verify that you assembled this
rifle in the white and provide provenance for same.
I can provide photos of the rifle if needed. But I was told you
normally use swamped blls. and the crown decoration is distinctive.
This has the nice flat butt plate as well no patch box. Thank you for
your consideration. Keep crafting these fine examples of American
History. Yr. Most Obt. Svt. Sgt. K-------------. James.

Sent from (ip address): 67.174.113.41

This is and additional quote from Homer's web site re: American Longrifles  Plain Vs. Fancy

"I feel the Kentucky rifle is a beautiful work of folk art, not to be compared to the fine European guns made for royalty, which were re-pleat with silver wire and precious stones.

I strongly hope that in the years to come the contemporary builders of the Kentucky rifle keep it true to form and not co-mingle too much with the ornate English designs. Very few Kentucky rifles had silver wire, and most had none."

This rifle is very plain, it is also very functional, and a worthy example of Homer Danglers handiwork.  Upon reading the above comments of detraction I withdrew this rifle from consignment sales.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 11:58:02 PM by Horsecavalryman »

Horsecavalryman

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 05:52:14 AM »
Rolf, I wondered if you read the Provenance on this Homer Dangler Rifle. I noticed Don Getz confirmed that the 42" was cut down to 36".  I asked two other collectors if I should do any more to this rifle and both say to leave it as is. Your input would also be appreciated. Thanks for your consideration. This rifle does bear his initials as described.  I'd really appreciate whether to list it again or try a different venue.  I'm not a member of the Contemporary Longrifle Association.

I'm sorry to hear of Mr. Getz's passing.  I have one of his 62cal. blls. fitted to TRS Ferguson Breechloading assm.  I'm sure it will be as accurate as this HD 50cal.

Best Regards,
Ken

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 11:47:06 PM »
I'd re list the rifle at TOTW, but specify that the carving is not by Homer Dangler.

Best regards
Rolf