Author Topic: Non Hawken or HF Half Stock Rifles  (Read 3973 times)

Offline Luke MacGillie

Non Hawken or HF Half Stock Rifles
« on: June 21, 2014, 01:10:17 AM »
Where is a good place to find information about surviving examples of large bore half stock rifles, ones that are not Hawkens nor "1803" pattern guns. 

Surviving flintlocks, or guns that are obviously converted flint guns are what Im really looking for. 

Or is this a pipe dream? 

Thanks,

Luke

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Non Hawken or HF Half Stock Rifles
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 02:35:25 AM »
There are several surviving New England half stocks. Original calibers  are hard to pin down due to the fact most were bored out smooth later in life.

Mitch

galamb

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 04:11:22 AM »
If you are simply looking for an example of an original, larger bore, full-stock flintlock that was later cut down and converted you can pick anything you like since ANY original could have been subjected to that kind of modification.

OR are you looking for a "specific" rifle as opposed to one "in theory" ??

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 04:59:22 AM »
There were several makers other than the Hawken's that made half stock guns. If you can get a copy of Jim Gordons three book series on western guns you will find photos of many.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 06:50:51 AM »
Larry Shelton's book on Callirornia Gunmakers has a lot of information of CA guns and guns made for jobbers. CA guns had big bores for grizzley bears, so I have heard.

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 02:02:04 AM »
Yes Im pretty much looking at Non Hawken "Mountain Rifles"  that were purpose made as half stocks.  I guess what I am really trying to get a feel for is how some circles of folks think that all half stocks are say, post 1840.....

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 05:09:11 AM »
I suspect that rather few flintlock rifles were made as half-stocks, at least with short barrels, say 30 - 36".

British and German "Jaeger" military rifles are the only ones that come to mind with large bores and short-ish barrels, though they were full stock.

18th century gunpowder was not as good as it became in the 19th century, and those long barrels really did have a purpose.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 07:18:38 PM »
 There are lots of examples of half stocked heavy caliber plains rifles made by many smiths that weren't named Hawkens. Although the vast majority were produced as percussions, with out a doubt some early ones were flinters. When the Lewis, and Clark, expedition returned, with news of the wealth just waiting to be harvested, in the west, and how well the 1803 Harpers Ferry rifle performed in the field, I suspect many smiths adopted more than a few of this guns features. No doubt many were half stocked, and likely large caliber. I have seen pictures of fine plains rifle made by many of the Pennsylvania gun building firms, as well as similar offering from Steven O'Dell of Natches Miss., J.P. Lower of Denver Co., and Joseph Craig of Weaverville Ca.
 I applaud your resolve in resisting the temptation to pro due another Hawken rifle. Good Luck.

Hungry Horse

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 02:43:48 AM »
Aw,c'mon Horse,you know we need 'nuther hawkin builder here,why,look at all them hawken stocks I have.I also have several c/m preshaped 1/2 stocks more of a plains styling.I am currently in the final sanding stages of such a rifle as in question,has some hawkenish leanings-hook breeck,long tang,the stock is an older precarve/inlet from the 70's,so I was locked in on some stuff.it has an antique steel trig guard,54 cal x 35" barrel,2 barrel keys,but slimmer in overall than Jake and Sams art.It is turning out better than I have any right to make.Dont fergit the kentucky smiths along the river.Best of luck to y'all,Dave :D