Author Topic: Finer points of using tow for bbl cleaning  (Read 8205 times)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Finer points of using tow for bbl cleaning
« on: June 24, 2014, 10:13:51 PM »
I only "this time around" learned of using tow for bbl cleaning.  I do prefer it for a number of reasons, BUT

I'm not real good at getting it off the worm.

I bought a big sack of the stuff.  I gather some up, wind it up on itself somewhat, wind it onto the worm and use.

When I go to "unwind" the tow from the worm it tends to put up a bit of a tussle.  I'm using a two-prong worm. 

Is there a bester technique for loading/unloading the tow worm?  Please share yours (if you use tow) thanks.

Hold to the Wind

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Re: Finer points of using tow for bbl cleaning
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 12:16:40 AM »
Use a screw driver to pry between the prongs a little so the have a slower twist and more space between them. They work much better that way. The ones from TOW are way too tight and I have never broken one prying them cold.  If you want to play it safe, Try heating them.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 01:48:49 AM »
Use a screw driver to pry between the prongs a little so the have a slower twist and more space between them...

I see what you are saying but I'm not using a worm from TOW.  I suppose you mean this one:

I'm using a "smiling fox" worm as sold on ebay. 

images not mine, taken from respective sales sites.
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 06:37:58 PM »
Nate, can you put up fresh pics (or reload old ones) of how you make your "tow ball"?

from the written descriptions of your "how to" (which i did see back when pics were current) it sounds like you are getting your tow onto the worm more in a lump than the "yarn" i am twisting.

I did reshape my tongs as they had deformed a little bit, but were not "compressed" like the TOW worms.

thanks!
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 02:38:06 AM »
That bottom one looks perfect for the job, Wade.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 03:40:48 AM »
Here is a link to the tutorial. It pretty much shows it.  I fold the tow over and over till it is about the width of my hand and stick the worm in the middle and twist the worm and rod.  That second worm should be ideal.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=24312.0

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 04:55:01 AM »
Yeah thanks Nate.  I'd seen that when it was new, but then looked again recently and the pics weren't there.

I was making too much of a yarn and not enough of a ball.   Now I make a ball.  So far much better-less hassle removing the tow from the worm. 
Hold to the Wind

CDgun

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 07:41:01 AM »
Have you tried a single prong worm?  Easier to get on and off.  I wash and reuse it as it gets softer and more absorbent with age.

P.S. Don't forget to pick out the stems. 

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 01:42:20 PM »
oh you mean those "patch pullers".  I looked through the cleaning section of a large mail-order (no not that one) supply house the other day.  While they had some tow worms, it's obvious they don't really know why.

I'm now balling this up more than winding it onto the worm and it's just easy fine no problem.  Once you get your "balls of tow" established, then they pretty well stay together for cleaning and reuse.  I just keep the oily ones separate from the watery ones.  Wish I'd learned of TOW cleaning years and years ago. 

Patches are for shootin'!

I ran across a deal on tow, I have a full lifetime supply, so long as i don't lose this _half pound_. 

Hold to the Wind

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 10:14:47 PM »
  I got a large bag of tow from Jas. Townsend for about 5 bucks.  I also have a brass brush which does a really good job of scrubbing off the breech plug after I've scraped it, once I've let cold water soak for a while.  But I like the idea of using something as traditional as tow, so my next purchase will be one of those Smiling Fox tow worms.

B Staley

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 10:44:52 PM »
Can you use Jute or is Tow different I have a bunch of Jute for fire starting reason for asking.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 01:10:10 AM »
  I got a large bag of tow from Jas. Townsend for about 5 bucks.  I also have a brass brush which does a really good job of scrubbing off the breech plug after I've scraped it, once I've let cold water soak for a while.  But I like the idea of using something as traditional as tow, so my next purchase will be one of those Smiling Fox tow worms.

I looked on their web site and could not find any Tow for sale.  Do you have a link for it....?
iloco

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 03:13:47 AM »
A google search for 'linen tow' or 'flax tow' should turn up something.    Flaxforsale.com lists some, also DGW under part number PA4500.

CDgun

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 03:20:59 AM »
oh you mean those "patch pullers". 

I never tried pulling a patch with it.  I suppose it would be just fine for that as well.     

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 03:59:08 AM »
oh you mean those "patch pullers".

I never tried pulling a patch with it.  I suppose it would be just fine for that as well.    

I'm mocking what many folks think (per item descriptions) those tiny cork-screws are for, not derisively but  just in order to get folks to think "outside the catalog".

My patches are generally wrapped around a ball.  ;)  (and if everything goes right, there is powder below that).

I looked on their web site and could not find any Tow for sale.  Do you have a link for it....?

I found mine on the ebay.  Some gal selling spinning stuff.  Sometimes you gots to root around.  I was looking for hemp tow.  It is reportedly even better.  Maybe i plant flax next year, everybody used to.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:49:36 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
I bought a pound of tow from this link.
http://flaxforsale.com/html/the_store.html
iloco

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 12:10:36 AM »
I bought a pound of tow from this link.
http://flaxforsale.com/html/the_store.html

a whole pound?  not going to run out anytime soon are we?  ;D  ( i has 1/2 lb.)
Hold to the Wind