Author Topic: W Moore Lancaster  (Read 5737 times)

Offline Fullstock longrifle

W Moore Lancaster
« on: June 25, 2014, 02:07:51 AM »
A friend recently asked me if I had ever heard of a contemporary maker who signed his guns W Moore Lancaster.  This rifle must have been made by him, probably 40 years or so ago.  I have no interest in this other than to help my friend.  Don Getz?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=421542704

Frank

Offline Dan'l 1946

Re: W Moore Lancaster
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 05:52:50 AM »
Don't know the maker, but the lock looks like something Dixie might have sold 50 years ago. Belgian, maybe.
                                Dan

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 02:38:18 PM »
Frank.....I'm not sure why you  stuck my name on the end of your sentence, thought you were just being nice.   I do know
a Warner Moore from Cincinnati, but I don't think  he built this gun.  Since it was apparently built in Lancaster, I thought
maybe Bill Shipman might throw some light on who this guy was.......Don

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 06:45:15 PM »
I thought you might recognize the name Don because of your vast knowledge of contemporary builders, and I was being nice!   ;D

Frank

brooktrout

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 05:29:35 PM »
Nice looking gun.  Not commenting about the maker because I would not have a clue BUT it does seem to confirm what I currently hold as a reality in contemporary firearms.  The "secondary market" is weak.  Naturally, that's somewhat superficial as it is based on just photos.  I'll bet that if this gun were offered today by the maker, whoever he may be, it would sell for many times the final price.  So, does that make a gun like this a good deal OR will it only sell for less in the future?  BTW, as to the "he" noted above.  Any women makers out there?

Eddy

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 03:51:43 PM »
I am new member & new to long guns - have acquired a Flint w/bbl. markings W. Moore Lancaster and lock marked   Moore  -  Lancaster.  Very well made piece- 41 cal. rifled 40" bbl. lots of brass inlays - pinned full stock
all in excellent condition.  Any idea as to the age or era of these guns?
Eddy

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 05:19:27 PM »
  Eddy--welcome to the forum. If you can post photos, it would be helpful.
                                    Dan

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 05:28:37 PM »
 That lock is an old Dixie F1 flintlock. I have used several of them back in the day. My current shooter has a more recent Dixie lock on it, but the frizzen is a reworked F1 frizzen. The Belgian production of these locks were all machined from stock, not caste. The frizzens were good steel. Some locks of this pattern were made in Italy as well. I think some of the parts in these locks were caste, and have heard the frizzens weren't any good.

Hungry Horse

Eddy

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 05:28:34 AM »
Not too computer savvy -don't know how to post pix of the w. Moore flint for more info.
Eddy

Have pix will try to get help.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:21:01 PM by Eddy »

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 06:46:50 AM »
I arrived in Lancaster in 1977 .  Got to know everybody in the county involved very quickly. Never heard of a W. Moore. Maybe before my time.

Eddy

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 05:48:31 PM »
on the one I have - The lock is stamped     Moore     Lancaster    and the BBL is stamped 
 W. Moore  Lancaster Pa.

some locals here think it was made in the early 50"s  Will try to get help w/pix

Eddy