Author Topic: How are these targets shot & scored?  (Read 5967 times)

Offline SCLoyalist

How are these targets shot & scored?
« on: June 25, 2014, 06:38:28 PM »
There are 3 NMLRA varmint targets - crow, squirrel, groundhog - that I can't quite figure out how they are intended to be scored.   I can believe the black dot in the center is an X and the circle maybe a 10, but what about hits elsewhere in the body.  My only guess is they're
intended to be paper silhouette targets.

Are there set distances and rules for scoring?    SCL

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
Re: How are these targets shot & scored?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 10:04:25 PM »
This is all the NMLRA says about them - that I can find;

10190—VARMINT TARGETS
Black outlines of a crow, squirrel, or groundhog on white background. Center ring black with one white ring. No sighters

I guess if you're going to use them just make your own scoring rules?  Perhaps X=10X, White Circle = 10, and maybe give a 5 for hit anywhere else.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 02:29:51 AM »
I agree- your rules on scoring.
I'd run the black as a 10, cutting all 4 lines, ie: spider, as being an X.  The next ring, due to size, as an 8 or 6, then 1 or 2 for body hits.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline EC121

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 03:10:53 PM »
These are probably rendezvous/woods walk targets.  Fun targets.  Score them however you feel that day.
Brice Stultz

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 03:36:02 PM »
We used the squirrel target at our statehood shoot.  Set at 25 yards, standing offhand shooting. Closest to the center of the X would be the winner of that particular target.  Each person has their own target they shoot - one shot only.

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 03:44:41 PM »
We used the squirrel target at our statehood shoot.  Set at 25 yards, standing offhand shooting. Closest to the center of the X would be the winner of that particular target.  Each person has their own target they shoot - one shot only.

I've been to some shoots where you shoot a one shot target that's going to be used for a tiebreaker for all the other matches.   These would be good for those.

Thanks for all the looks and thoughts, guys.   SCL

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 05:06:42 PM »
I've been to some shoots where you shoot a one shot target that's going to be used for a tiebreaker for all the other matches.   These would be good for those.
Thanks for all the looks and thoughts, guys.   SCL

Good point- tie breaker targets are shot at every one of our rifle scored events, except for the plank shoot. Due to the string  measuring system to the nearest thousandths' of an inch over 10 shots, a tie breaker being required would be highly unlikely.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 05:25:33 AM »
our club scores them a 10X,10,9 and a 7 for anything outside the rings. you can score them any way you wish.

greybeard50

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 11:20:04 PM »
It has been a while since I've shot these targets here in Indiana...so, forgive my memory.

These targets were mostly used in woods walk situations: three shots, 10 points for cutting the eye dot. 8 for cutting the chest black, 6 for the chest ring, and 4 or 5 for a body hit. These rules obviously favor a larger caliber rifle...just as most primitive targets (charcoal, eggs, card edge, axe edge, etc.) do.

Steve-In

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 12:36:58 AM »
We used them at Kekionga Longrifles at 25 yards, sometimes at 50 ;D.  100 for the eye, 25 outer ring 50 inner ring, 5 for the body.  I have shot them at Friendship at novelty shoots, same scoring.  Eyes used to be eye shaped not round.  No X's.  Started to be touch, ended up center of ball.

Offline Tim Hamblen

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 09:27:32 PM »
You'll also see them at shoots and scored with a six bull overlay out to the 8 ring. A lot of times at local turkey shoots it speeds up the scoring a lot. Throw out any with holes outside of the  outer ring and you don't have so many to score. I've shot those with 5 holes inside the outer ring and did not even place in the match (1st three places )

Tink

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 01:23:10 AM »
I have only scored it as 10 or 10x shot at 25 yd. Eye as a 10 x .

Online Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 06:18:30 AM »
String measure. Thats what the x is for, to give a center to measure from.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine