Author Topic: Toothpick in touch hole w/ no leaking. Really?  (Read 17715 times)

Offline Standing Bear

Re: Toothpick in touch hole w/ no leaking. Really?
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 03:06:45 AM »
IMO half the fun of ML is the accoutrements and meddling. If I just wanted to shoot I'd only have a .22. The other half is seeing all the paraphanelia and tinkering producing results either in the field or on the range.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 03:46:00 AM »
We're boys with toys.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2014, 04:42:41 AM »
The clamp that I have used is just an alternative to a round tooth pic for those who dont want to use a round tooth pic. Another clamp that works is a small quick clamp made by Irwin with soft rubber pads that will seal the vent off too. A sparrow feather will work at times too. Use of any of these methods, if they work for you, shouldnt get anyone too worked up. I think we should save our energy for saving our sport and the second amendment.

Ron T.

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 07:00:31 PM »
First, I use a ROUND toothpick, not a "square" one.  After all, the flash-hole is ROUND.

I remove the lock and stuff some paper towels in that area, then lean the rifle to it's left and pour super-hot, very slightly soapy water down the muzzle... and let it sit a few minutes to loosen up the "crud" in the bore.

Then I turn the rifle over above the toilet and let the blackish, dirty water and crud run out.  Then I run a .50 caliber cleaning nylon bore-brush up and down in the rifle's bore, then add more CLEAN (not "soapy") super-hot water down the bore and let it sit a minute or two... then dump it out and, again, run the nylon bore-brush on a wooden ram-rod up and down in bore several times and, again, after dumping out the water in the toilet.

At that point, the barrel is kinda hot and the bore is usually "clean".  But to check it, I let a very tiny LED "light" slide down the bore to check how clean the bore probably is.  If it's clean, I remove the round toothpick from the flash-hole liner and run a clean, wet-with-very-hot-water cotton-covered pipe cleaner in and out of the flash-hole liner several times to clean out the flash-hole liner.

Then I blow compressed air from my small air-compressor into the flash-hole liner, then put a new, clean round toothpick back in the flash-hole liner hole, pour a little more super-hot water down the muzzle and into the bore, then turn the rifle up-side-down over the toilet and dump out any "crud" and water that's still in the bore.

Then, I again blow compressed air down the bore until it's "dry".  Then I blow compressed air into the flash-hole liner and alternate back and forth between blowing compressed air down the bore, then into the flash-hole liner until everything is very dry.

I, then, put a clean oily cloth on a jag and push it up and down in the rifle's bore... twisting the ram-rod a quarter-turn after each thrust down & up... and do that at least 8 times so that each area of the bore is touched TWICE by the clean, oily cloth.

Then I put a little oil on a clean, dry pipe-cleaner and push the pipe-cleaner in and out of the flash-hole liner several times to lube that area.

Then I clean and re-oil the lock and re-install it... and then fold-up a paper towel several times, put the paper towel on the floor behind my computer room's door and place the rifle's muzzle on the paper towel... storing it up-side-down so any excess oil will run OUT of the barrel's muzzle while sitting there.

Naturally, when I go to the range, if I'm shooting the Hawken cap-lock that day, I add a percussion cap to the cap-lock's nipple, cock the hammer and pull the trigger thus firing the cap to insure the flash-channel is "clear & clean".

If I am shooting the flint-lock Long Rifle, I put a small amount of FFFFg in the frizzen pan and maybe 10 grains of FFFg in the barrel... and drop the flint on the frizzen to shoot sparks into the frizzen pan... thus firing the priming powder charge which, in turn, fires the light powder load insuring the flash-channel is clean of oil and any "debris"...and that barrel is clear of oil and is "dry" and ready to accept & keep the powder dry.

This is a "longer read" than I intended to post, but this is the whole "story" for cleaning either a percussion cap or a flint-lock rifle... and I have and shoot both.    ;)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 07:10:26 PM by Ron T »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 09:39:01 PM »
  For once, Hanshi has it wrong.  Popeye punched a tree and it came down as toothpicks.

Natureboy, I stand humbly corrected.

If, like me, one does not have an air compressor, a hair drier along with a plastic funnel does as good a job.  I have a hair drier I bought at the Salvation Army Thrift Store for $2.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 04:27:56 PM »
No Comment!!!!

Offline EC121

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 05:12:47 PM »
After reading all these complicated procedures, I feel like I am doing something really wrong and abusing my equipment.  I usually wipe the bore with a wet patch(just about anything wet) until the patches turn gray(3-5 patches) then a dry patch or two and oil it good with G96.  I run the lock under the garden hose. and spray it with G96. After wiping the flats with G96 into the safe she goes.  Never had one rust--anywhere in 30yrs.  Maybe I should also take the buttplates and patchboxes off for cleaning just to make it take longer than 5min. to clean. After oiling I bounce the rod on the breech plug to feel for solid metal.  If it doesn't ping then I might scrape the plug.  Obviously I'm not spending near enough time bonding with my rifles.
Brice Stultz

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2014, 11:04:59 PM »
After reading all these complicated procedures, I feel like I am doing something really wrong and abusing my equipment.  I usually wipe the bore with a wet patch(just about anything wet) until the patches turn gray(3-5 patches) then a dry patch or two and oil it good with G96.  I run the lock under the garden hose. and spray it with G96. After wiping the flats with G96 into the safe she goes.  Never had one rust--anywhere in 30yrs.  Maybe I should also take the buttplates and patchboxes off for cleaning just to make it take longer than 5min. to clean. After oiling I bounce the rod on the breech plug to feel for solid metal.  If it doesn't ping then I might scrape the plug.  Obviously I'm not spending near enough time bonding with my rifles.

X2 EC.  I don't have G96 tho so I use what ever good rust preventative is at hand. Last time was LPS-3.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2014, 01:41:34 AM »
No Comment!!!!

He, he, he, he....... ;D
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Frank

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2014, 02:23:26 AM »
Really? another non period contraption to keep track of, and worry about working. ROUND TOOTHPICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hungry Horse

Yep.

Old Bob

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2014, 05:53:55 AM »
First, I use a ROUND toothpick, not a "square" one.  After all, the flash-hole is ROUND.

I remove the lock and stuff some paper towels in that area, then lean the rifle to it's left and pour super-hot, very slightly soapy water down the muzzle... and let it sit a few minutes to loosen up the "crud" in the bore.

Then I turn the rifle over above the toilet and let the blackish, dirty water and crud run out.  Then I run a .50 caliber cleaning nylon bore-brush up and down in the rifle's bore, then add more CLEAN (not "soapy") super-hot water down the bore and let it sit a minute or two... then dump it out and, again, run the nylon bore-brush on a wooden ram-rod up and down in bore several times and, again, after dumping out the water in the toilet.

At that point, the barrel is kinda hot and the bore is usually "clean".  But to check it, I let a very tiny LED "light" slide down the bore to check how clean the bore probably is.  If it's clean, I remove the round toothpick from the flash-hole liner and run a clean, wet-with-very-hot-water cotton-covered pipe cleaner in and out of the flash-hole liner several times to clean out the flash-hole liner.

Then I blow compressed air from my small air-compressor into the flash-hole liner, then put a new, clean round toothpick back in the flash-hole liner hole, pour a little more super-hot water down the muzzle and into the bore, then turn the rifle up-side-down over the toilet and dump out any "crud" and water that's still in the bore.

Then, I again blow compressed air down the bore until it's "dry".  Then I blow compressed air into the flash-hole liner and alternate back and forth between blowing compressed air down the bore, then into the flash-hole liner until everything is very dry.

I, then, put a clean oily cloth on a jag and push it up and down in the rifle's bore... twisting the ram-rod a quarter-turn after each thrust down & up... and do that at least 8 times so that each area of the bore is touched TWICE by the clean, oily cloth.

Then I put a little oil on a clean, dry pipe-cleaner and push the pipe-cleaner in and out of the flash-hole liner several times to lube that area.

Then I clean and re-oil the lock and re-install it... and then fold-up a paper towel several times, put the paper towel on the floor behind my computer room's door and place the rifle's muzzle on the paper towel... storing it up-side-down so any excess oil will run OUT of the barrel's muzzle while sitting there.

Naturally, when I go to the range, if I'm shooting the Hawken cap-lock that day, I add a percussion cap to the cap-lock's nipple, cock the hammer and pull the trigger thus firing the cap to insure the flash-channel is "clear & clean".

If I am shooting the flint-lock Long Rifle, I put a small amount of FFFFg in the frizzen pan and maybe 10 grains of FFFg in the barrel... and drop the flint on the frizzen to shoot sparks into the frizzen pan... thus firing the priming powder charge which, in turn, fires the light powder load insuring the flash-channel is clean of oil and any "debris"...and that barrel is clear of oil and is "dry" and ready to accept & keep the powder dry.

This is a "longer read" than I intended to post, but this is the whole "story" for cleaning either a percussion cap or a flint-lock rifle... and I have and shoot both.    ;)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Oh dear.

I don't know where to start... so I won't.

More power to ye.

Smoketown

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2014, 07:33:00 AM »
IMO half the fun of ML is the accoutrements and meddling. If I just wanted to shoot I'd only have a .22. The other half is seeing all the paraphanelia and tinkering producing results either in the field or on the range.
TC

Standing Bear,

You would be amazed looking at all of the 'stuff' a dedicated .22 target rifle shooter 'collects' in his or her range-box.   ;)

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2014, 04:05:13 PM »
No, I wouldn't be surprised Smoke.  Besides having shot MLs competitively for over 30 years I shot bullseye pistol and coached youth 3 position.  ALL sports it seems can get over done with equipment even soccer.

If I "just wanted to shoot" w/ .22s it would take a High Standard Trophy, a Remington 511 ( I could be forced to use a mdl 52 Winchester Sporter if someone wants to force one on me) and a brick of shells.  Nada mas.

All should get copies of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, read and discuss them.  Other suggested reading are papers of the founding fathers to better understand the background of these precious documents.

Happy 4th !!!
TC

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2014, 04:25:09 PM »
Please remember that ALR is a traditional longrifle forum and discussions are :
Allowable topics are:

1.  The building or recreation of custom side lock muzzle loading sporting arms that would have been made or used in North America between 1607 and 1898.

2.  The study and collecting of custom side lock muzzle loading sporting arms as defined in item 1.

3.  The shooting of custom side lock muzzle loading sporting arms as defined in item 1.

4.  The historical and cultural setting for the manufacture and use of custom side lock muzzle loading sporting arms as defined in item 1.

They are posted here : http://americanlongrifles.org/american-longrifles-privacy-policy-2.htm?action=recent

Dennis
ALR Admin

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2014, 05:01:02 PM »
With all due respect, I find it incredulous that a leaky toothpick has led to 3 pages of rhetoric and various sub topics!
Mark
Mark

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »
Skychief - try this vacuum plug from the auto store - trim to length - drop hammer on it then clean barrel.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2014, 08:09:59 PM »
He is cleaning a flint rifle.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline EC121

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2014, 10:43:17 PM »
I use a piece of plastic tubing the length of the barrel and fit to garden hose fitting to clean my shotgun.  I melted the plastic into a point to make a nozzle.  By placing  the gun muzzle down I could spray water under pressure into it and let it run out til it was clean.  The results left me incredulous.  Kind of like pressure washing the bore.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:46:10 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2014, 12:21:36 AM »
  My father did pretty much the same thing to clean our antique Mississippi Rifle.  He connected a copper tube to a garden hose, ran it in to the breach and put the barrel in the wash tray, muzzle down.  Then he turned on the water and walked away.

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2014, 05:14:31 AM »
those whitelightning vents are great.all my rifles and smoothbores have his vent liners.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2014, 06:25:43 AM »
Tried the toothpick tonight after some shooting.   I am happy to report that all went well!

Seems I just needed to pound the thing in a little harder.

Thanks to all of you.