Author Topic: SPG as patch lube?  (Read 12735 times)

Naphtali

SPG as patch lube?
« on: June 26, 2014, 08:43:09 AM »
I have been using SPG to pan lube conicals in my .72-caliber rifles for several years with outstanding success - insignificant and soft fouling build-up, and superb consistent accuracy.

Were I to dip precut patches into liquified SPG, then wrap round ball with SPG'd patch, then insert patched ball into a loading block, should I expect similar results. Would the SPG impregnated patch retain SPG's ability to lubricate the I.D. of the bore while keeping fouling slight and soft? I expect that if SPG'd patch does its job as it does on conicals, accuracy will be comparable.

My concern is that I have not observed patched ball shooters using a patch lube that is softs for a solid lube, but still essentially solid. And I have next to zero experience shooting patched round balls.

Offline Daryl

Re: SPG as patch lube?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 05:20:20 PM »
We use oils or very soft greases that do not become a solid when cold.  If the patch does not leave the ball due to having a sticky, hard lube on it  when the ball exits the muzzle, it is possible the accuracy will be negatively effected.

Bullet lubes are best on bullets - softer patch lubes (oil or very soft greases on balls)  With that in mind, Track's MINK Oil or Neestfoot Oil make good hunting lubes for patched round balls.

In hotter climates (THE SOUTH) some guys use beeswax/oil, or beeswax/tallow mixes as patch lubes.  They must be very 'light' on the beeswax indeed as the stuff I have, 1st pressing, is still quite hard when mixed with oil.  Even a mix of 50/50 beeswax/Vaseline is a bullet lube (for black powder loads), too hard for a patch lube.  I used a 60% Vaseline, 40% Beeswax lube for pan lubing grooved lubed bullets for my Sharps, as as well, a lube ball under the paper patched bullet in PP loads for the 16 pound Rolling block rifle.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 11:53:31 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 06:27:09 PM »
I use SPG for my hunting loads in .54 cal flintlock.  However, I do not melt it and dip the patching in it.  Instead I lay the strip of patching on the counter and rub the room temperature chunk of SPG into one side of the patching giving it a good coating.  The ball gets wrapped with the unlubed side.  Also, I use this in clean barrel so I am not dealing with softening fouling from previous shots.  I get great accuracy with it and there is no concern about the lube seeping into the powder charges of 100gr Swiss FFg.  It is not hard to load a second shot over the fouling from a couple shots but that is as far as I have tested it for hunting purposes.  Recovered patches (heavy denim) are in good condition.  This is not a lube for the range though.   

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 04:52:52 PM »
OK Stupid question probably, but I've been watching this thread for about a week figuring someone would identify what it is but no one has.

So the question is What is SPG??

thank you

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 05:13:21 PM »

thank you

It's a bullet lube developed for black powder cartridge rifle shooting.  Has the consistency of Alox as I recall.  Developed by Steve Garbe back about 30 years ago.

Offline EC121

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 05:25:58 PM »
SPG is Garbe's initials.
Brice Stultz

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 01:04:27 PM »
I've used it for hunting patches and had no problems with it at all. It's available from Buffalo Arms. IMHO it's too expensive to use for ALL of my patch lube requirements when there are so many truly excellent MUCH cheaper alternatives, but that's just me.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 03:06:05 PM »
SPG lube was developed to be used on lead,grease groove elongated bullets for breech loaders and long range muzzle loaders.Works fine.If it works well as a patch lube then that is what's known as an unexpected benefit.
It's expensive only if it isn't doing the job you bought it for.

Bob Roller

Pilgrim

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 06:16:37 PM »

Vomitus

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 09:27:41 PM »
  I've had great luck with Winter Windshield Washer (-35) mixed with a small amount of Neetsfoot oil. This is my competition/plinking lube. I was really surprised by using the neetsfoot oil straight up for a hunting lube. Darned if my balls didn't have the same impact point as with my range lube. Might be worth a try.Works for me.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 06:06:31 PM »
OK Stupid question probably, but I've been watching this thread for about a week figuring someone would identify what it is but no one has.

thank you

SPG Bullet Lube is a lube developed some years ago by Steve Garbe for BPCR use. See blackpowderspg.com
If you search the WWW for SPG  Lube it will come up as well. Its widely available nationwide.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 06:08:11 PM »

thank you

It's a bullet lube developed for black powder cartridge rifle shooting.  Has the consistency of Alox as I recall.  Developed by Steve Garbe back about 30 years ago.

Its much softer than Alox, intentionally, and has no synthetics in it.

Dan

Offline RAT

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 08:44:24 PM »
I used spit patches for many years for range shooting. There was a discussion about this at several of our guild meetings over the years where some knowledgeable members recommended never using spit. They say it will quickly ruin a barrel.

Over the years I tried 50/50 beeswax & tallow (hamburger grease)... and 50/50 beeswax & bacon grease. The bacon grease mixture works better for me. It's softer/smoother than the beef fat mixture.
Bob

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 04:26:30 AM »
I'd rather have spit on my patch when target shooting, than a salty bacon concoction.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 05:20:43 AM »
There are alot of animal rendered fat and beeswax combo's that will work,some better that others but I wouldnt ever use bacon grease or anything that had salt in it.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 04:00:26 PM »
Smylee,
The salt in the pig fat is a substitute for the corrosive components of BogusBlackPowder.
Gotta have something to take up the slack.

Bob Roller

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 04:47:33 PM »
I think I'm going to try patching my .715 balls [ smoothbore]  with strips of bacon. Might work  ;D

Offline RAT

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 05:52:54 PM »
I used some commercial stuff once. It smelled too much like bengay.

Maybe I should start using SPG.
Bob

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 06:59:25 PM »
Any animal fat will require purification to remove any possible corrosive elements.
Bacon fat boiled in clean water 3-4 times would likely remove salt but the other things added if its smoked etc. could be an issue??
I boil beef fat 3-4 times to clean it. New water each time and allow to cool to set the tallow before putting it into clean water to boil again.

Dan

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 07:56:01 PM »
 Bob, going bear hunting in three weeks but patches wont have any bacon fat on them and there will be real black in the bore. Hope to replenish my stock of bear greese, and some bear oil too. 58 flinter, my 62 isnt done yet. Havent been Bear hunting in several years so am looking forward to the hunt.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 02:33:33 AM »
Comedy put aside, I use bear oil for patches, or if hunting I have found Track of the Wolf's mink oil equal to anything I've made if not better.  If I don't have it, I just use a mix of bear oil and beeswax. I have been playing with some deer tallow I made last year, but it is pretty hard stuff. I made it up exactly as Dan P. described

Calaloo

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 02:45:28 PM »
I would like to make a few comments about lubes if I may. Even though I've built a number of muzzle loaders and long rifles in the distant past I come recently from the single shot schuetzen world and may have a different take on bullet lubes. First, no one in the general shooting public knows what the formula for SPG is but a very close, if not identical lube can be made using 40 parts mutton tallow, 40 parts paraffin, and 20 parts beeswax. I have made this using highly refined white beeswax and it was a bit harder than SPG but when using normal yellow beeswax the difference between it and SPG cannot be detected. And it works the same too.

Another oil that might be considered for patching round balls is jojoba oil. It is supposedly very similar to  sperm oil and works very well when I use it to lube my paper patched bullets used in my long range muzzle loaders.

I am enjoying this forum immensely and will post from time to time but for now I am trying to read all I can.
Bill

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 06:27:01 PM »
Smylee,
The salt in the pig fat is a substitute for the corrosive components of BogusBlackPowder.
Gotta have something to take up the slack.

Bob Roller

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D good one, Bob

Marmot oil is VERY good for patch lube - better than bear grease or oil.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 07:42:22 PM »
Comedy put aside, I use bear oil for patches, or if hunting I have found Track of the Wolf's mink oil equal to anything I've made if not better.  If I don't have it, I just use a mix of bear oil and beeswax. I have been playing with some deer tallow I made last year, but it is pretty hard stuff. I made it up exactly as Dan P. described

I made some tallow for deer but it has an smell. Might be a little harder too. But not much. I use interior body fat not exterior, from reading it is supposed to have a higher oil content.

Dan

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 01:29:01 AM »
I have also read that interior fat had more oil in it. I wonder if that is the case with Bear as I would keep the inside stuff in a different batch and do it by itself. Thats if I am lucky and get my Bear.   ;D